Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lower Fraser, Richmond September 30th  (Read 1910 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Lower Fraser, Richmond September 30th
« on: September 30, 2005, 07:45:21 PM »

Those who have given up the Fraser River pink fishery should know that there are still fish coming into the river during incoming tides consistently.

I took my dad out for a couple of hours this afternoon just before peak tide. LukeYVR, Perch and his dad were also there to keep us company. The water clarity is now poor in the Fraser River, most likely due to the heavy rain they received up north in the last few days. It's always frustrating this time of the year to have poor visibility on the Fraser as the spinfishing can be fantastic.

Armed with a heavier rod and bigger spoons, I was planning to battle with a couple of chum salmon after seeing Luke's nice chum from two days ago. Luck was not on my side today, I think today was the second time I got skunked in September. ;D

Perch nailed one pink salmon close to shore as he set the hook hard near the end of his retrieve. At first the fish hardly moved and I thought it was a snag by looking at it from the side. The fish then took some powerful runs, making us wonder whether it was a large male pink or chum salmon. When it surfaced in front of us, we could see it was a very large and fresh male pink salmon. I carefully scooped it up for Perch and he decided to keep it as he hasn't really gotten into that many fish this pink salmon season. ;D

Not long after, Luke was into a nice male pink as well. Perch did the netting job this time and after having the fish circling around them several times, Luke guided it into the net perfectly. Perch then released the fish for Luke as he has had enough pink salmon in the last few weeks. ;)

No fish for my dad again today. Bad fishing, but terrible guiding.

Some battle shots today for all to enjoy. :)

Now, that's how it is done! ;)

Luke also became my first customer today for the annual Help Habitat Fundraising tickets. :) The fund raised will be used to hopefully stabilize the Slesse clay slide so we would have less days like what we are going through right now on the Vedder River. If anyone who is interested in those tickets, you can contact me or visit the local tackle stores in Chilliwack.

Few things to remember
  • You need a tidal sportfishing licence when fishing in the tidal Fraser River.
  • You need to purchase a salmon conservation stamp if you intend to keep your pink salmon.
  • Daily quota for pink salmon is four fish in tidal Fraser River.
  • Daily quota for chinook salmon is four fish in tidal Fraser River, but only one maybe over 50cm.
  • You may only keep four salmon (mixed species) in total per day.
  • Only a single barbless hook is allowed on the lure.
  • Bait ban is in effect between September 6th and October 7th
  • You must release any sockeye and wild coho carefully.
  • Pink salmon have large oval spots on their back and tail. Sockeye salmon do not have spots. Chinook salmon have tiny black spots on its back and tail.
  • Complete tidal Fraser River salmon regulations can be found on this page.
  • Report all fishing violations to DFO Steveston 604-664-9250.
  • Make sure you have a good fillet knife to clean your catch and a cooler with ice to keep your it fresh.
[/size]
« Last Edit: September 30, 2005, 07:46:59 PM by Rodney »

lucky

• Old Timer
Re: Lower Fraser, Richmond September 30th
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 08:13:47 PM »

Good report, I went out for a bit on the incoming tide this afternoon as well, armed with a little heavier setup in hopes of a chum. Fished by myself for a couple of hours didnt get any bites, but did see a good number of jumpers, enough to keep me there casting spoons for two hours.

ocean_going

• fish on
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 08:14:20 PM »

Sweet , so all the pinks aren't gone yet! I love it. I just got back last weekend from holidays, and I was hoping the local fishery was still happening. Even before I left, the fishery was on and off for the pinks. Did I miss the huge run of pinks while I was away? I was away from sept.10-25. Is it all over for the pinks?   Do I have to drive to chilliwack river? now? to catch salmon? coho, chum, Love them springs   oh    yes the springs!!!!   I heard it's hot in the chuck now but I am not sure how they are up in the vedder.   Any reply would be appreciated.    thx   OG

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2005, 08:33:08 PM »

Nice. Any more chum caught in the North Arm?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2005, 08:59:12 PM »

Did I miss the huge run of pinks while I was away? I was away from sept.10-25. Is it all over for the pinks?   

The main run has definitely come and gone. As Rodney's report, there are still a few around.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2005, 09:12:27 PM »

Where do I park if I want to fish around there somewhere?  Its my birthday tomorrow and I'd like to head out ;D

ocean_going

• fish on
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2005, 09:29:02 PM »

F A ty

All Tangled Up

• Go Fish!
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2005, 09:42:25 PM »

Hey marmot it's my b-day as well. Hope you catch some fish, and have a good day!

LukeYVR

• I'm a llama lover..
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2005, 11:00:45 PM »

Nice. Any more chum caught in the North Arm?

No chums caught today, but I saw some chums jumping and rolling....