Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What would you do with that wild one?  (Read 4543 times)

Shinny

What would you do with that wild one?
« on: November 06, 2015, 06:41:47 PM »

Had a situation on Chehalis last week. My friend and I parked at the hatchery and took that trail on the left side of the fence that leads down to the chum Channel. We usually walk along the side of it and duck into the Forrest at our spot to get too the run I wanted to fish. While walking down the chum channel (where your not allowed to fish) I spot a guy all dressed in black hammering fish in the channel. I have seen this guy before, saw him doing it last year and this year on a previous outing. In the past I was alone but not this time, We proceeded to head over to him, as I approach I can tell he is trying to hide fish. I roll up and see four coho in the bush close to him, gutted and bled. Three hatchery and one wild...arghhh..

I got a little hot headed and in words that I won't repeat here told him what I thought, and that he should pack up and leave now as I am calling RAPP.... He grabbed the three hatchery coho and left the wild and takes off pretty quickly. So now my friend and myself are staring at this beautifull wild coho that's been gutted and bled....

What would you do with that wild one?

dcajaxs

Re: What would you do with that wild one?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 06:48:20 PM »

Return  it to the river were at least it will return  to the natural nutrient life cycle. 

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 06:54:50 PM »

^

Drewhill

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 06:55:12 PM »

Don't even touch it. Let's say an officer comes down the trail right after and sees you with fishing gear holding a dead wild in a spot you're not allowed to fish. If the other guy is gone, you look reallllllyyyy guilty. There's enough wildlife and bears in the area to take care of that fish.

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 06:57:32 PM »

Return  it to the river were at least it will return  to the natural nutrient life cycle.

x2

Hey Shinny , so what did you do ?

Shinny

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2015, 07:07:06 PM »

I left it, I had a full day of fishing ahead of me and wasn't going to carry around a poached trophy for everyone to see nor did I think it was right for me to bitch this guy out only to take the fish. It was hidden pretty well, My friend left a couple hours before me. I walked back the way I came in and the fish was gone when I went back. I called him when I got back to my truck and asked if he took it and he said he didn't but I'm not convinced. Really only three people knew where it was hidden... I didn't take it so that leaves my friend or that guy. My friend would'nt probably tell me anyways and I really don't want to know if he did.

I'm guessing that guy watched us from a distance and once we got far enough away he probably came back and grabbed it and took off for the day. Either way its not in my freezer.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2015, 07:25:36 PM »

what bothers me is he had 4 killed already but continued to fish. cant really plead ignorance even if he didnt know about the hatchery canal rule.

Zackattack

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2015, 07:34:23 PM »

Take a pic of it for future evidence against him and don't touch it. Don't want to take blame for it as others have said.

Also post pic here to stir up the rage haha

Shinny

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2015, 07:56:51 PM »

what bothers me is he had 4 killed already but continued to fish. cant really plead ignorance even if he didnt know about the hatchery canal rule.

If your going to poach go big or go home...or go big and get caught then go home.  This guy had some decent gear and has been here before... Dressed in black and lurking in bushes...he knew what he was doing. Won't even give him the benefit of the doubt on that one.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2015, 08:01:54 PM »

Take a pic of the fish but also take a pic of the poacher!!! Public shaming works wonders!!!

It is possible that an animal got it and dragged it off...
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2015, 08:10:25 PM »

Don't even touch it. Let's say an officer comes down the trail right after and sees you with fishing gear holding a dead wild in a spot you're not allowed to fish. If the other guy is gone, you look reallllllyyyy guilty. There's enough wildlife and bears in the area to take care of that fish.

I agree

Tylsie

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2015, 08:17:07 PM »

Not much you can do. Take a pic of him fishing in closed waters, take a pic of the wild coho, call the RAPP line and get on with your day. Don't touch the wild coho, to even put it back in the river. It is sad that these people exist, but all we can do is try get them charged and teach others the proper way. I am intrigued as to why you would fish with a person who you don't believe? I have had one friend who I strongly suspected of poaching and without going into details we are still friends, but we don't fish together anymore.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2015, 08:37:22 PM »

If your going to poach go big or go home...or go big and get caught then go home.  This guy had some decent gear and has been here before... Dressed in black and lurking in bushes...he knew what he was doing. Won't even give him the benefit of the doubt on that one.

true, but if we walked out with 4 hatches no one would be the wiser.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2015, 05:59:18 PM »

good you called RAPP that was the most important thing to do.If they indicated the'd have someone there soon you could have stayed, shown the wild coho (it's evidence) and provided a description etc. My limited experience is they don't respond quickly if at all. Best just to leave the fish there.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.