Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: chehalis river  (Read 28805 times)

fishallday

chehalis river
« on: November 03, 2015, 06:55:18 PM »

how's the chehalis river fishing right now ? with all the rain we've been having, last I check the vedder was a muddy mess. Just wondering what your guys thoughts are on the chehalis and if it'll be worth it to head over there. :o

I've never fished the chehalis but I've walked all around there do you guys have any sort of general recommendations ? like where to park what to fish for extra.
life's short stunt it

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
Re: chehalis river
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 07:15:52 PM »

The Chehalis almost always fishes well on a high water drop.
Turn off Lougheed at the Sasquatch Inn and take Morris valley road until it crosses the river.
Park at the hatchery or the campground or just on the other side of the bridge.
Coho and Chum would be what guys are targeting there, I've done ok on that river sometimes, but don't fish it often.

minnie-me

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 07:29:23 PM »

its a ditch. there is a major logjam way down blocking fish from getting into the mainstem, a lot of fish...95% being chum going up the hatch channel as they cant go any were else...fyi ... the hatch channel is no fishing. It bad.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 07:45:10 PM »

Was very slow when I was there yesterday, but only stayed an hour, went and caught some cutthroat instead.

fishallday

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 10:21:19 PM »

hmm so overall it seems to be a waste of time if I'm reading you guys correctly  :-[ ... would it just be better to go fish the chocolate milk that is the Vedder... if so do you guys recommend higher up or lower down I usually go 5 km up or down form the Vedder bridge :P
life's short stunt it

Drewhill

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 10:48:17 PM »

its a ditch. there is a major logjam way down blocking fish from getting into the mainstem, a lot of fish...95% being chum going up the hatch channel as they cant go any were else...fyi ... the hatch channel is no fishing. It bad.

When did that log jam happen?

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 01:20:35 AM »

Or just go fish...

fishallday

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2015, 08:08:37 AM »

Well that is the overall mission ... But scent having a chromer is always nice as well
life's short stunt it

Shinny

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2015, 08:15:29 AM »

When did that log jam happen?

Last year during a torrential rain storm. There was a smaller log jam up in the canyon that blew out and sent a lot of debris down river and it all collected in a large area making a huge log jam, some fish are making it by but not many. Chehalis fishing has been super slow to say the least, water level was incredibly low up until last week. Over the weekend the river blew out and was flowing through the Forrest, was pretty treacherous to get down low and I wouldn't recommend it unless you know where your going. Water came up fast on Saturday and a couple guys got stranded on a beach because the way they came in was under too much water to return that way... Luckily they were spotted and shown by how to get out.

I would recommend the Vedder if your looking to catch fish.

fishallday

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2015, 10:22:56 AM »

hmm thanks shinny  :-\ will do i was told the Chehalis was the ticket but that sounds brutal I guess its the Vedder for me then...
ill be going out friday day ill report back then
life's short stunt it

TheLostSockeye

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2015, 10:41:56 AM »

hmm thanks shinny  :-\ will do i was told the Chehalis was the ticket but that sounds brutal I guess its the Vedder for me then...
ill be going out friday day ill report back then

lol that guys just saying that to discourage people from going to the chehalis. If this log jam is not allowing fish to go up fish below the log jam lol! They should just be stacked in there below it if what he is saying is true. My buddy got 12 wilds and 2 hatches the other day. Don't always believe these guys on the internet lol. They simply want to fish these rivers by themselves which is never going to happen.\

Remember VEDDER OCTOBER CHEHALIS NOVEMBER

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2015, 11:19:48 AM »

was at the chehalis for the past 2 days and it was slow for roe chuckers. couple fish here and there but overall weak compared to other years. with the water level higher it opens up a few more opportunities to fish other types of water. i had a good monday with 8 hookups but the water drops so fast in this system that the pool was almost gone the next day. all fish on spinners. tuesday i didn't see one hooked. so their is truth to what these guys are saying. if you don't like bush whacking their is not a whole lot of room.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2015, 11:22:12 AM »

never the less its a stunning area to visit this time of year. go give a shot just to explore some new places. maybe you will be rewarded. in my opinion its always worth checking out a new spot.

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2015, 12:17:40 PM »

Don't always believe these guys on the internet lol. They simply want to fish these rivers by themselves which is never going to happen.\

Remember VEDDER OCTOBER CHEHALIS NOVEMBER
You nailed that timing out of the ball park! It's obvious that you have spent a lot of time on these watersheds! Cough, cough!
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2015, 01:41:45 PM »

I can't agree with you on this one minnie-me. The Red Springs and of course the wolf pack of summers hanging in behind them trying to pluck as many singles as they can didn't seem to have a problem getting through during the closure of summer. I saw a pile of them in the upper river in the usual haunts while hiking around with the wife. Specific areas do not need to be named. You know where they are! Seemed like one of the better returns in years. Plus the Hatchery had to truck a wack of them to the intake because they where plugged up in the Hatchery. Quota achieved.

Has the Coho fishing been slower than usual? Yes it has! But I am convinced its not the log jam! I have been seeing and catching Coho on a regular basis since it opened from the closure. But when 50% of the Coho landed have square hook burns behind the gills it makes you wonder doesn't it. The smaller than usual Coho should be getting through the Square hook. They figured that out quick by down sizing the gauge of the square hook! Oh well just another ongoing battle that could have been fixed years ago when the water started to push through below the old Bible Camp! I new I should have built a McDonalds there years ago!

The ghost still wonders the area! cheers! 
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 02:22:43 PM by greyghost »
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"