Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dragonfly Warrenty  (Read 6339 times)

eager_rookie

Dragonfly Warrenty
« on: October 20, 2015, 10:37:36 AM »

Hey all,
I snapped the end section of a buddy's dragonfly five weight the other day and have been looking for information on their warranty with no luck. Does anyone have experience with product repair with them? I can't find any information online, but maybe I've just been looking in the wrong places.

ShaunO

Re: Dragonfly Warrenty
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 11:45:07 AM »

Most local shops will carry Draongfly products and should be able to assist.  Failing that, Redl Sports is the distributor and may be able to direct you in the right direction should you strike out with a local shop.  I don't believe Redl will help you directly but should get you started off on the right foot.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 03:11:34 PM »

Since you broadcast to the World that you are not the original owner of the rod, the warranty is now void and it would be fraudulent for him to say that he broke it.

You owe your buddy a new rod. That's the suck part of borrowing.

eager_rookie

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 05:46:45 PM »

Since you broadcast to the World that you are not the original owner of the rod, the warranty is now void and it would be fraudulent for him to say that he broke it.

I'm not too worried about Dragonfly monitoring internet forums and having the problem-solving chops to link a given post to a given rod, but if they're that talented then maybe they should be working for CSIS rather than building fly rods.

Thanks for the info ShaunO. Appreciate the help.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 07:24:14 PM »

Someone's POed  Opie wasn't allowed to play....

A warrantee is void cuz' someone else touched the rod?

Dragonflies aren't expensive but their warranties might reflect that.
And there's even a bit of cost  involved in good warranties so, depending on the value and the damage; it night be best to shop for a new one but check with a good tackle shop first.
Most tackle shops handle at least some of their product.

bluenoser

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 07:37:33 PM »

Even if the warranty doesnt cover most rod makers will sell you the specific section you broke at a reasonable price. I replaced the tip section of a 4 piece Okuma few years back that i used as a back up rod.

BN

naka21

• Arie Nakagawa
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2015, 07:43:10 PM »

Broke my dragonfly Kamloops rod in half when I set the hook but it got caught under the anchor mount. Took the rod too the local tackle shop and gave me a brand new one with no cost. I would suggest just taking it too any local shop that carries dragonfly

naka21

• Arie Nakagawa
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2015, 07:47:28 PM »

Never had it matter if the rod was mine or if I was the original owner. And those were on high end rods like my sage 3106l and a few Spey rods which were purchased second hand

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2015, 09:34:23 PM »

LOL - I got more bites with that one post than I did this year for Coho on the Vedder.  ::)

Those Dragonfly rods come down to $59.99 on sale. Reg price is $79 - 99. Good value rods, I had a few and had the first one replaced after the top section broke from what I believe was caused from repeated impacts from bead head Muddlers. At that time it was a straight exchange. I don't know if there is a service/warranty charge on Dragonfly rods now.

Humpy

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2015, 09:54:48 PM »

I also had the top section of my Dragonfly fly rod snap and was charged a $20 service fee through Fred's in Abbotsford. This was about a month ago.
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2015, 11:57:38 AM »

I think it often comes down to how good of a customer and relationship you have with your local shop. Prove your support to your local tackle shop and they will help you out wherever they can.

Internet and cross border shopping sure has ruined/reduced a lot of business for local shops. Sad how things have evolved.

$20 for a replacement section is good if you can get that.

If it was my personal rod I would opt for a new rod.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2015, 01:18:56 PM »

Internet and cross border shopping sure has ruined/reduced a lot of business for local shops. Sad how things have evolved.

When you consider 99% of fly shops in the states discontinue the current model the second a new one is announced, and Canadian shops dont, you tend to understand why people cross border shop.

I can get products for well cheaper even with the shitty dollar outta the states at the moment then compared to here.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2015, 08:35:15 PM »

When you consider 99% of fly shops in the states discontinue the current model the second a new one is announced, and Canadian shops dont, you tend to understand why people cross border shop.

I can get products for well cheaper even with the shitty dollar outta the states at the moment then compared to here.

Yes - this is true but this is also why the locals have old stock left over because they can't sell them fast enough due to the cross border shopping. It's the bad cycle that keeps on going. I've bought in the US and online as well so I can't plead innocent in this case.

I feel for the local businessman, we buy from someone else then we take it to the local guy for convenient warranty or support. Then we cry when a warranty processing fee gets charged or the local prices are too high. It's a bad cycle that is not going to change and in the end, the small local shops will have no choice but to close their doors.

I'm not blaming anyone - it's just the way things are evolving. I sure miss the days of Roger running Hub Sports.