Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Northern Coho?  (Read 4678 times)

glfish88

Northern Coho?
« on: October 15, 2015, 09:00:54 PM »

Hi all, so I have been fishing for quite a while now and I always hear about this genetically superb "northern coho" and how it has the kype even in the ocean and how they go to this spot in the ocean that is undetectable by radar...but honestly I don't know the difference other than size...so what is the definition of a "northern"?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 07:51:21 AM by glfish88 »

Knnn

• Old Timer
Re: Northern Coho?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 09:40:45 PM »

I read that three times ............................ and I got nothing.  ???

sbc hris

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 04:19:31 PM »

Big fish with a kype. People call them northerns, I assume because they look more like the coho of the northern BC rivers. Genetically, I'm not so sure if there's any relation. I'm Highly doubtful though.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 07:35:07 PM »

Maybe someone like Dave can chime but I have heard it's an old commercial fishing term and described coho that came in late - like in the Strait in late Sept or October after feeding in the open Pacific and returning through Johnstone Strait.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2015, 07:11:09 AM »

Maybe someone like Dave can chime but I have heard it's an old commercial fishing term and described coho that came in late - like in the Strait in late Sept or October after feeding in the open Pacific and returning through Johnstone Strait.
That's pretty much how I've heard the term used as well RalphH. Probably has nothing to do with coming from Northern waters, just that the fish stay in the salt a bit longer and are consequently a bit larger.

SPEYMAN

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2015, 01:37:37 PM »

Northern Coho is a term like Tyee. Northern Coho is just a large coho.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2015, 03:51:57 PM »

well they were/are large coho (12lbs and up) that showed up late in the Strait of Georgia- off the East Coast of the Island, Sunshine Coast, Bowen Island and off the Fraser mouth in late September well into October. The males already had a good kype and it was thought/assumed they had fed outside of the The Strait of Georgia in the summer
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.