Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ethics (what do you do??)  (Read 4341 times)

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
Re: Ethics (what do you do??)
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2008, 08:49:30 AM »

I was just curious Birdman, get the bee out of your bonnet.

-Nicole

Always let the wild fish go.

Always.
Nicole

PS> was your friend using roe?
Thats completely irrelevant. I always find fish with with plastic baits in their guts, I have even found strips of marabou in their stomachs as well. Steelhead are stupid and will swallow any bait without thinking about it.
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

Walter Q

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2008, 07:05:59 PM »

Thats completely irrelevant. I always find fish with with plastic baits in their guts, I have even found strips of marabou in their stomachs as well. Steelhead are stupid and will swallow any bait without thinking about it.

What is so irrelevant about Nicole's question,,,,again?????? The plastic baits and marabou,,,,,did they have a hook attached to them???? Or would THAT question be irrelevant?????  Nicole's question and the following answer showed a few here a fact that many try to point out to new steelheaders when the firrst start fishing for the steelhead. And your answer about "pieces" of plastic and marabou in a steelie's tummie did the same thing. I just don't think you realized it.

Thou a shame, wild bleeders have to be tossed back, thus Nicole's question about the roe.  I know, I know,,,,,it's not the place or time to open this can of worms,,,,,, ummm, roe, but the answer to Nicole's question, and even Birdman's comments brought light to a problem when fishing the guts.

Personally, I have NEVER had a bleeder(knock wood) and never had to worry about "keeping" a bleeder. Of course I have never had to fish guts to catch my fish in the last thirty years. That's just me thou. I will also call BS on Birdman's comment on Steelhead "swallowing" any bait without thinking about.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2008, 07:31:25 PM »

Personally, I have NEVER had a bleeder(knock wood) and never had to worry about "keeping" a bleeder. Of course I have never had to fish guts to catch my fish in the last thirty years. That's just me thou. I will also call BS on Birdman's comment on Steelhead "swallowing" any bait without thinking about.

I have never had a bleeder either (Steelhead). I use roe and shrimp a lot and even though Ive only been fishing Steelies for 2 years, none have gotten it farther than the bottom or upper lip (except one deeper in the mouth so I cut the hook out)

Secondly Steelhead will swallow anything that comes their way. I killed a fish yesterday and it had around 8 roe sacs it its stomach, 1 hook and a chunk of metal that was almost 2 inches long. It also had a peice of a rubber worm and some plastic. I sometimes wonder how these fish return to the ocean and live with a chunk of metal blocking their intestinal track?

Last but not least... never keep a wild fish. This year I foul hooked a coho (wild) while float fishing. I hooked it right behind the fin thats behind the gills. I ended up puncturing its heart and it was bleeding very badley, I cut the hook hoping the bleeding would stop and tried to revive it. He kicked away, but 3 mins later I saw him float up and go belly-up downriver. I sometimes wish you could keep the fish if somehow you had proof it would have died. Maybe take a photo or the bleeding or leave the hook thats lodged deep attachted to your line  ???
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 08:13:51 PM by Rodney »