Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Freak Tides  (Read 2449 times)

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
Freak Tides
« on: February 26, 2005, 01:51:06 PM »

It's been a while since I went out, and I mean a whiel... :'( Spring break is coming up and dad and I were going to head out on my first day off (March 19th), I did a little bit of "way-ahead research" and looked up he tides for that day.

As any ocean fisherman knows, the best time to head out is on a slack tide, or when there is little movement of water, and fish it a couple hours before and after. What I found for March 19th as a 4.5 hour slack tide.

I could be reading it wrong, but it definately looks promising. Break out the riggers... :D
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
Re: Freak Tides
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2005, 09:17:52 AM »

Don't get your hopes up too high-it's been my experience that those tides don't produce much for whatever reason fish don't move all that much when the water stops moving for that long.
Often great for Sturgeon in the river though.

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2005, 11:56:02 AM »

Thought it was too good too be true.  :P

I'll be out there anyway.
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2005, 06:03:57 PM »

Slack tides are usually the best because the feed has usually changed it's position during the tide change and the salmon can start to feed again.  A lot depends on the area you are fishing.  Look for shelves and fish the deep side as feed will be washed into the deeper water.  Fish the protected side of a peninsula during change.   Deffinately get charts of the area you plan on fishing and work the map before you go out.