Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Worst fly shop in Terrace  (Read 14908 times)

skibumAB

Worst fly shop in Terrace
« on: August 21, 2008, 07:51:47 PM »

Just came back from 4 days fishing in the Terrace area.  3 of us went into the FISH TALES shop and my buddy asked for some fishing advice and to pick up some hot flies.  The jerk working there said he doesn't give out advice and that we were at the right place and at the right time( Skeena was high and dirty due to rains 2 days earlier).  Then he proceeded to go back to pricing his products.

Now the Home Hardware in Kitimat gave us a tonne of advice, drew some maps, let us make a quick long distance call and showed us some flies.  We spent $400 on flies, leader material and a new reel and we proceeded to catch a tonne of chums and springs in 2 days.  Yes over a tonne ( 2000 pounds)  including some 41" chums with 25" girth   est 33 pounds

« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 07:57:47 PM by skibumAB »

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
Re: Worst fly shop in Terrace
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 08:11:56 PM »

I wonder if he was the Owner or a poor relative in need of a job?

In any case I can't see them staying in business much longer with jerkism rampant in the store. ::)

Maybe you should forward the post to Noel Gyger he might be able to shed some light on the situation http://www.noelgyger.ca

Good to hear you made the most of it and had a good time.

skibumAB

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 09:20:57 PM »

The flyrod was a SAGE TCR 8 weight.  This was my buddies 2nd chum on his 2nd day of fishing for salmon, the previous day he caught a bunch of Pinks in another river.  Somebody had more than a couple horseshoes that day ;D

J.G.

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 09:30:54 AM »

I had the same experience in the same shop......I won't be going back!

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 09:45:40 AM »

Nice fish!  I was just up there too... infact, I think that is my arm in the photo  ::)  It was incredible fishing up there, even landed a nice coho up there that got about half of my backing out in a few seconds, but no photo as everyone else was too busy catching fish  :P

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 06:55:19 PM »

Poor customer service unfortunately is becoming very common in our society.  Good job on the fish. When the Skeena gets high and dirty, the Kitimat River is a good place to go as the water runs much cleaner. And also a lot more places to access and fish on the Kitimat if you do not have a boat.

David_R

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 01:21:59 PM »

I've shopped they're and had good and bad experiences... sometimes the help can be really grouchy or unwilling to help you, it's a definite way to build a bad reputation

There is a couple other shops in town though so you're not limited to buying your fishing gear in a gas station
(PS.. That chum looks disgusting but I'm sure it was a hoot to catch)

Sandhead

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 06:06:40 PM »

Thats a big chum. Ugly big chum. I'm sure it fought like a crazy beast.
Ain't no HO like a COHO

J.G.

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 07:40:17 AM »

If you guys are driving up here, stop at Oscars Source for Sports in Smithers. They have the best selection of fly fishing accessories I have come across in the north, and their gear selection is just as good as any you will find in Terrace. Plus they have friendly and helpful staff.

mykisscrazy

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 06:36:36 PM »

He must an old employee of a certain Fly Shop in Surrey! And now has brought his charm up North!
Never again will I shop there!

redside1

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 06:04:49 PM »

He must an old employee of a certain Fly Shop in Surrey! And now has brought his charm up North!

he is not from the lower mainland. Shop clerk has lived in Terrace for 20 years plus. He is also a good guy outside the store if you get to know him.

J.G.

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 08:31:22 PM »

he is not from the lower mainland. Shop clerk has lived in Terrace for 20 years plus. He is also a good guy outside the store if you get to know him.

Too bad he's a very poor representative for the shop he works for......

Johncke

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2008, 06:07:59 AM »

I had a very similar experience only last year in the same Shop with a guy named Dan. I and my fishing friends have over the last five years travelled extensively all over primarily the northern part of BC for 3 – 4 weeks in the fall fishing and enjoying the beautiful nature and the kind and extremely friendly and helpful folks of BC.

We where referred to the shop from Pacific Anglers at Broadway in Vancouver ( great guy’s that have given us very useful information in the past ) where they told us that we might pick up some general fishing info on the fishing in the Terrace – nothing specific mind you - just general useful info.

I think the reason we where so chocked by this individual and his down right hostile demeanour was because he was so different from ALL the other folks we have met, talked to and fished with during our time in BC. In Denmark where we come from we would normally have a chat with the general shop manager to bring his personnel in line with normal interpersonal behaviour or kindly asked the guy to step out for a small and sincere talk about manners in general and his in particular. But being guests in BC we very politely excused our self and any inconvenience we might have caused and made tracks out of the shop.

We have made some great friends over the years all over the province. From Rodney that we have fished with, and tried to learn to fish the Fly in the roughed salt, when he visit his Danish girlfriend to Pat AV that we met on a fine river and who, without hesitation, gave us a tonne of great private fishing hotspots to Ken D at Oscars in Smithers who drove in on his day off to give us some of his maps to Randy and Ilona at Northcoast Anglers in Terrace to Gerry Scott on Vancouver Island who helped us with that elusive Coho fishing in the salt – The list is almost endless.

During our extensive travel the Dan guy is the only rude hostile and impolite person we have met. So he is, in all his misery, quite famous as the only bad person in the province – Now that has to amount to something . . .

We are coming again come September 14 and one month forwards to experience the fantastic fishing and nature and the kind hospitable folks of BC, and to fish with our great friends in your fantastic province. So if you see two small campers inhabited by 4 Vikings that laugh a lot and is absolutely without a clue – come on over, there is always a cold one in the fridge or hot Scandinavian coffee on the stove. Se ya  . . .   ;D

Allan, Henrik, Lars and Ryan  ;)

Gravity Sucks !

rln

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2008, 07:24:31 AM »

there is nobody working there now named Dan.