Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question about Salmon sold in Steveston.  (Read 4759 times)

fishseeker

• Old Timer
Question about Salmon sold in Steveston.
« on: May 12, 2010, 12:38:18 PM »

I have a question for those more knowledgeable than me:

I was wondering about the docks in Steveston a few weeks back checking out the fish being sold from the boats.  The had some nice tuna for sale and various Salmon species including pink, chum and coho.   Looking at one of the chums I was a little surprised to notice that it was in full spawn colors and likely not in a good state for eating.   Whats the deal with that?

a) Correct me if I am wrong but I don't think April is the time of year for spawning chum.
b) Assuming this was an Ocean caught Chum I wouldn't expect it to be that color.

Are the fishermen being truthful with the claim that the fish are freshly caught?

andychan

Re: Question about Salmon sold in Steveston.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 12:43:10 PM »

That is weird since spawn colours don't really kick in unless the fish are in fresh water. You did not by chance get a photo of the fishes?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 01:05:52 PM »

Last fall's fish. Chum salmon often develop their spawning colour very quickly as soon as they reach the Fraser River mouth, where these fish are typically caught.

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 02:32:11 PM »

right now the majority of the fish being sold off the boats are previously frozen from the fall salmon season

holmes

• photobucket.com
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 03:04:43 PM »

so they are "fresh"....freshly thawed out :)holmes*

Spiznack

• Dominion Lending Centres Alta Pacific Mortgages
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 03:13:43 PM »

The fish in Steveston aren't thawed out.  They are flash frozen upon capture so the salmon should still be good to eat if you like coloured chum...personally I don't like it.  I purchase fish often from the wharf in Steveston as I live across the street and have never had any problems with anything I have bought to date.  Just make sure the eyes are not too cloudy and you should be good to go.  To be honest Chum does not make great table fare anyways.  Not unless it is smoked or made into fish cakes.  I have had the occasional silver chum from saltwater and they are actually pretty good.  Great tuna on the wharf though!....also the cheapest BC shrimp I have found!
For Mortgage advice call Carlos @ 778-846-2567

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 04:03:26 PM »

The tuna is frozen on the boat when caught,they are usually taken in august off the west coast if they are local.Fresh salmon are farmed or they might come from alaska they open early spring.chum come later and should be bright if taken in the chuck.

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 05:11:03 PM »

Be careful if you buy any roe down there to cure up. Last fall I was brought a bunch from three different boats and they all said it hadn't been frozen. Made the mistake of curing it all together and it was all mixed up in different ziplocks. Roughly a third of each bag was great but the rest was garbage and it all got the same cure so I'm guessing two of the boats weren't exactly truthful.

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 05:11:50 PM »

Should also probably mention that all the fish I've brought down there has been great, the prawns too.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 09:19:02 PM »

Does anyone rember how much the Tuna was going for down there.

andychan

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 11:13:18 AM »

Does anyone rember how much the Tuna was going for down there.

about $4 a pound frozen

Spiznack

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2010, 12:08:06 PM »

Be careful if you buy any roe down there to cure up. Last fall I was brought a bunch from three different boats and they all said it hadn't been frozen. Made the mistake of curing it all together and it was all mixed up in different ziplocks. Roughly a third of each bag was great but the rest was garbage and it all got the same cure so I'm guessing two of the boats weren't exactly truthful.

Another problem with the roe down on the wharf if the fact that the fish have not been properly bled.  When you look at the roe you can see blood veins running through the sacs just under the skeins.  This is not good roe for curing as you want all the blood out of the roe.  This kind of roe is only good for sturgeon fishing once the eulachon migration has slowed down.  The same goes for the roe that you see advertised on craigslist. 

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2010, 12:36:47 PM »

That is weird since spawn colours don't really kick in unless the fish are in fresh water. You did not by chance get a photo of the fishes?
Unfortunately I did not get a photo but it looked like one of those really ripe ones you would get out of the Stave.  I guess that dispels any illusions I might have had about the freshness of the fish being sold just because they are on the boats.

As for the other comment about chum not being good table fare I certainly agree when they are in that state.  I do think that freshly caught Silver chums are excellent, at least in my opinion.

...interesting answers

Spiznack

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2010, 12:52:59 PM »

I once ate a silver chum from the ocean and it could rival any salmon I have ever eaten.  River chum...not so good

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2010, 08:21:16 AM »

I ate some ocean bright Chum from Campbell River and well,it tasted like Chum.
Smoked is a different story.