Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New boat, looking for fishing suggestions  (Read 3016 times)

Rat

New boat, looking for fishing suggestions
« on: April 28, 2013, 08:57:51 AM »

Ive just aquired a 15 foot fiberglass center console (whaler copy) .  Looking for some suggestions on places to fish with my boys ages 11 and 8 reasonably close to langley. 

Fraser river is intersting but seems a bit intimidating,  but id really love for my boys to catch a salmon.

Thanks in advance

Sandman

• Old Timer
Re: New boat, looking for fishing suggestions
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 07:38:08 PM »

Ive just aquired a 15 foot fiberglass center console (whaler copy) .  Looking for some suggestions on places to fish with my boys ages 11 and 8 reasonably close to langley. 

Fraser river is intersting but seems a bit intimidating,  but id really love for my boys to catch a salmon.

Thanks in advance

Well you are in for a treat when the Pinks arrive.  The Fraser around the foot of 264th is great for pinks.  You can also head across to the mouth of the Stave for coho and chum in the fall.  Then of course there is the Harrison (put in at Kilby) where you can fish for sturgeon, cutthroat trout, coho, pink, chum, springs and sockeye when in season.
Not all those who wander are lost

Rat

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 11:58:35 AM »

the pink run seems like it could be alot of fun for the kids.

do you just troll with spinning gear?

the boat launch in ft langley is a bit intimidating to do solo with kids is there a better spot?  I dont mind paying a few bucks

mikeyman

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 04:22:21 PM »

Fort Langley isn't bad I think they filled in a few of the holes there. Keep in mind freshet is around the corner so you might want to wait until it starts to come down in July/Aug. There is a launch on the native reserve but they charge an annual fee I think.  Make sure you guys wear life jackets and it should be fine, going out on new water can always be intimidating. Just take your time with it till you get the hang of it. Your may want to try a few of our local lakes before you take on the fraser/harrison or even salt chuck. Try allouette or cultus lakes. Tsawassen crabbing trips can be fun as well don't need to go out far to get a hull of crab. Jig for some bottom fish never know what you might bring up.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 10:29:03 PM »

For pink salmon in the tidal portion of the Fraser River, you don't necessarily need to take the boat out to find success. Most of the fishing can be done from shore around Langley. Grab yourself some 1/4oz Gibbs Croc (pink, orange...) and a light spinning outfit (2-6lb test, or 4-10lb test), your kids will have a good time.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/articles/estuary_fishing/fishing_for_tidal_fraser_pink_salmon.html

mikeyman's suggestions are good. Fraser River's salmon fishing season will not be here for a few more months. In the meantime, I'd give Cultus Lake a go where a diverse group of species is available.

Rat

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 07:39:03 AM »

The pink run looks like a lot of fun.

Am I right the only place to launch with a dock is Pitt river?  I need to launch solo without another adult so the ones in the river are tough as after I put the boat in I need to go park my truck. 

Should be a lot of fun, I plan on getting a downrigger and trying the chuck as well.

Sturgeon fishing is also something I'd like to try.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 08:39:53 PM »

The pink run looks like a lot of fun.

Am I right the only place to launch with a dock is Pitt river?  I need to launch solo without another adult so the ones in the river are tough as after I put the boat in I need to go park my truck. 

Should be a lot of fun, I plan on getting a downrigger and trying the chuck as well.

Sturgeon fishing is also something I'd like to try.

Coquitlam launch also has a dock.  I use an inflatable so i have no need for a launch and I put in right at the foot of 264th around the Poplar bar.  I fly fish for pinks and coho around Crescent island and coho and chum around the mouth of the Stave, but my kids toss spoons and spinners.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 08:48:29 PM by Sandman »
Not all those who wander are lost