Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: intruders with eyes or with out  (Read 2764 times)

square tail

intruders with eyes or with out
« on: January 18, 2010, 06:44:49 PM »

thought this would be interisting to here some results. Me i always put eyes on them to follow the Ed Ward origional and what are your favourite colours for the lowermainland rivers cheers thanks for the posts ;D ::
the tug is the drug

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: intruders with eyes or with out
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 12:56:59 AM »

it all depends on the fly whether i put eyes on or not. the main reason to put eyes on is to counter balance the trailer hook because the trailer hook can cause the fly to ride with the head up in the current instead of the entire fly travelling level. I do however put eyes on a majority of my intruders especially if they are tied on tubes. tying them on Waddington shanks doesnt seem to matter because they will ride level anyways then  ;)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 08:08:38 AM »

wrong, actually eye were originally put on the intruders by ed to keep them from spinning on the line like a giant spin'n glow. He originally tied them with turkey and this caused the rotation. I tie mine with enough weight to break them through the surface film and then allow my tip to do the dirty work to get them down. The concept behind the intruder is they were tied to have a big profile in the water, with a lack of material for casting and sinkability, so that they could elict the most aggressive strikes. Huge bulky things covered in marabou and rabbit IMO are not intruders, although they can be tied intruder-ish.

Oh, and you can never go wrong with pink. EVER!
Fish killer 101

J.G.

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 04:52:22 PM »

Pink works too..........

I tie with the same idea that Ed uses, but with obviously different materials. Simply stated you want to give the apperance of bulk without the weight.

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 11:54:07 AM »

Sweet pics J.G.!!!!
always a student