Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spin and Glow for steelhead...  (Read 13861 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Spin and Glow for steelhead...
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2012, 10:12:49 PM »

I think a lot of people get caught up in what they are casting or what they think works better. It does matter what your casting but less then people might think, I have taken steelhead on little stone flies, leach patterns, wool, roe, pink works all kind of stuff sometimes I swear you could throw on a buddwiser cap and you would take fish. Its about finding the fish and presenting your stuff to the fish in the right way and trigering that aggressive strike. I will admit I do favour certain flies etc but I think thats just because you hook a few more fish on one thing then another and all of a sudden its your favourite. It is the confidence factor, you have to be confident in what your throwing out there and the fact that your presentation is going to get you into fish. Its just like dry fly fishing for steelhead. I havent hooked a steelhead on a dry fly yet but I have seen them rise. That doesnt mean that the dry fly wouldnt work or doesnt it just means that most of the time I end up going back to a sunk leech pattern. So of course I catch more fish with it because I use it more. Anyways, spin and glows work, so do corkies just a few weeks ago I watched a guy catch a 20lb buck on a small pink spin and glow.
I did a story in a fishing magazine many years ago about an angler making a lure from a belt buckle that caught fish as well as another angler taking a steelhead on an orange peel. ;D I donot know where that article is. I wrote it for The Reel Angler.

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2012, 11:48:55 PM »

I did a story in a fishing magazine many years ago about an angler making a lure from a belt buckle that caught fish as well as another angler taking a steelhead on an orange peel. ;D I donot know where that article is. I wrote it for The Reel Angler.

i remember one time when i was little i found  a nice stick a bunch of line and a hook and a weight. I rigged it all up and chewed up a starburst i was eating stuck it on the hook walked out to the end of a log and ended up catching a few trout  ;D just goes to show it doesn't matter what you put infront of em.
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

drh

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2012, 07:03:19 PM »

I caught 3 on silver red top last year,haven't tried one this year yet though.Small pink was allways a producer on the Chehalis in days past.
the Vedder killer was the chartruse orange,but they don't make them as small as they used to be .Ah the good old days!

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2012, 08:11:47 AM »

Caught my first ever steelhead using a small orange and black spin and glow on the Wilson R. in Tillamook County, Oregon 30+ years ago.  And have caught 3 or 4 in various river systems since. Spin & glows definitely will work but I must say I have moved on to baits (if allowed) and use other lures and attractor's much more often. Still, one will never forget their first steelhead.

Brian the fisherman

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2012, 11:51:35 PM »

i currently fish a "clown" its pearly white with white fins, and pink dots, 3 to be exact. on each side of the  plug.  i fish them fingernail size all the way to the size of the thumb tip. i havent  gotten one this year how ever had landed one last year on that.
Tight lines to all