Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where is the good point for trout in Mill Lake?  (Read 5246 times)

ssd0904

Re: Where is the good point for trout in Mill Lake?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 05:16:09 PM »

And also, please tell me what angle i should throw from the point.

Fisherama

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 05:52:08 PM »

ssd0904, the members of this site are generally very eager to help, but there are limits to their generosity.  Asking such direct questions about where to stand/where to cast etc. won't likely make people want to help you as we've all had to put in the time and effort to figure it out for ourselves.  With that said, I've never fished Mill Lake, but a quick topic search would suggest that the dock is a good start  ;) http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=22270.0

Hope this helps.

ssd0904

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 06:23:49 PM »

ssd0904, the members of this site are generally very eager to help, but there are limits to their generosity.  Asking such direct questions about where to stand/where to cast etc. won't likely make people want to help you as we've all had to put in the time and effort to figure it out for ourselves.  With that said, I've never fished Mill Lake, but a quick topic search would suggest that the dock is a good start  ;) http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=22270.0

Hope this helps.

Yes, i guess i was a bit over in the question. Anyways i went there today and i went to the walking board or something(it's like a dock but it's not a fishing dock people just walk on it) so  i heard it was not a good point because apparently no one fish there) and the dock is good for fishing so ya..

ssd0904

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 06:28:03 PM »

Anyways, i have another question. Im using a float, but here's the question

Im using

Float Stopper
Float
Float Stopper
Weights(right above the swivel)
Swivel
Hook

The question is, how much length should i give between the float and the swivel? (length between swivel to hook is 1m)

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 09:15:44 PM »

Try from .5m to 10M/Just off bottom, and anywhere in between.

Keep changing until it starts to work.  Then it will be totally different the next time you go out there.

Regarding which way you should cast?  You should try casting in a fan pattern 180 degrees in front of you.

That should keep you busy for while.

Post back here when you try this.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 09:19:22 PM by Damien »

ssd0904

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 10:59:02 PM »

How do you throw 5~10 m line ??? It's 4 times  longer than me. Even if i put my stopper up a bit, i wouldnt be able to throuw like 3~7 m line..

ssd0904

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 10:59:44 PM »

Oh didnt see .5 i thought it was 5 m sorry ok i'll try it out (it will take a lot of time  :P)

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 11:19:06 PM »

your stopper should slide threw your guides during your cast,  the float will rest on the lower stopper, and the upper stopper will be on your reel.
 you can fish any depth with your rig.

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 05:49:22 AM »

you're using a sliding float right? You only need the one stopper above your float. You can adjust the stopper on your line so your leader will sink  until the float hits the stopper.

jon5hill

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 07:51:06 AM »

ssd, take your bottom stopper off! the float will slide down to your weights and then you can move the stopper to 10m depth or whatever you want to try and then reel the stopper right onto the spool, and then cast from there as well. I find that the line sometimes gets hung up on the stopper so if you cast with the stopper just outside of the spool, it should be a good starting point. Although at this time of year, fishing the very bottom might be a good idea.

J

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 08:19:34 AM »

The bottom stopper is mostly used to save your float in case your swivel snaps off if your rig is hung up on a snag.

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 09:09:13 PM »

When I float fished I used a peice of fishing line as a stopper
tie it on your main line and trim the edges leaving enough to stop the float sliding past
this can then be set at any lenght and should not impede your casting

hope this helps
I used heavy line just so that it would show up in the pic
you would have to trim the stopper line more so it would flow through your guides

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2010, 08:23:29 AM »

Personally I avoid using a sliding float when targeting catchable rainbow trout in Lower Mainland lakes because it is unnecessary most of the time. Most spots are shallow enough that a fixed float with a depth set at 4 to 5ft is sufficient enough. Although the advantage of a sliding float is the ability to fish much deeper water, I find that you need to use bigger floats and weights so the weight is heavy enough to keep the line sliding down until the float hits the top stopper. The combination of big float, big weight and longer float depth means that the sensitivity is reduced. When the 250g trout bites, it'd be hard to notice. Because these fish are not very big, I prefer to use the smallest float possible while still having enough weight that allows me to get some distance when casting. If I wish to fish at the depth of 10, 20 or 30ft, I would simply use a bottom rig. Either a sliding weight above the hook or a fixed weight below the hook would work well.

Good luck.

ssd0904

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2010, 04:36:00 PM »

Hmm, well i have it so i'lll have to use it. Apparently Mill Lake has a lot of debris, so i shouldnt use Bottom Rig :P So, i decided to just put the stopper above the reel so i can go deeper. Thanks! (Is it good to use some combinations of baits such as powerbait+worm+marshmellow or something?, if so, please tell me a good combination, i have basically every bait(marshmellow, shrimp, worm, powerbait, etc)