Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Indian Arm Crabbing  (Read 14245 times)

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
Indian Arm Crabbing
« on: September 29, 2005, 01:30:15 AM »

How's crabbing in Indian Arm this week?

All Tangled Up

• Go Fish!
Re: Indian Arm Crabbing
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 05:33:25 AM »

Most of the crabs I've had in my traps were just a little too small. Very close though. That being said there are some keepers out there. Is there any commercial crabbing in the arm?

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005, 08:47:58 AM »

We were out Sunday and the crabbing was excellent, only took me and my girlfriend an hour to get our limit.  Using two traps we would lift them every 20min. and they were loaded with crabs. There is alot of commercial crabbing in the arm but I am not certain of their openings, that being said Ive done well crabbing even on the days when the commercial guys were dropping traps right beside me. This is my favorite time for crabbing, the launch is never busy and there are hardly any boats on the water compared to the summer months.

Headshake

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2005, 10:10:49 AM »

After dong some googling, I thought that crabbing season went until the fall, at which time the crabs start molting and the crabbing tails off. Are you finding any crabs with soft shells? If they are molting we should prbably leave them alone, or at least be very careful when handling them at this vulnerable point in their life cycle. Any sign of this?

Anyway, I normally drop traps off the point at Cates Park. Do you crab there, or further up the arm?
I'ts either a fish or the bottom!

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2005, 10:41:13 AM »

Further up past Balcarra.

All Tangled Up

• Go Fish!
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2005, 01:03:48 PM »

In all my years of crabbing I've never come across a crab that is molting. I believe they go into hidding until the shell hardens up a little.
Cut and pasted this from a web site

During their first two years, crabs molt several times. At a size of about 4", or by the third year of life, molting becomes less frequent, occuring only once each year. During an annual molt, a crab will grow about 1". Just after molting, crabs are very watery and soft and their shell is easily punctured. They dig into the sand and stay there for several days while their shell starts to harden. Approximately two to three months are required for an adult crab to completely harden and fill with meat.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2005, 01:08:51 PM by All Tangled Up »

No_way

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2005, 12:17:46 AM »

In all my years of crabbing I've never come across a crab that is molting. I believe they go into hidding until the shell hardens up a little.
Cut and pasted this from a web site

During their first two years, crabs molt several times. At a size of about 4", or by the third year of life, molting becomes less frequent, occuring only once each year. During an annual molt, a crab will grow about 1". Just after molting, crabs are very watery and soft and their shell is easily punctured. They dig into the sand and stay there for several days while their shell starts to harden. Approximately two to three months are required for an adult crab to completely harden and fill with meat.

Mmmm.... fill with meat.

LukeYVR

• I'm a llama lover..
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2005, 12:25:06 AM »

We went crabbing from the sailboat last Saturday.  2 traps dipped at the front of Jericho where big freighters were anchored.  2 hours later we got 9 legal sized males... :)   Used Pink salmon heads.   We will try again tomorrow afternoon.

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2005, 11:00:15 AM »

Iv been crabbing for 5 years and yes i have seen many crab molting. Some times half the keepers are extremly soft and have to throw then back.
weeeeeeeeeow!

All Tangled Up

• Go Fish!
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2005, 03:35:07 PM »

Very interesting, I've been crabbing off and on in the White Rock area for over 20 years and never have seen one. I guess I just miss the molting stage all the time. I'll be heading out to Deep Cove for Prawns and Crabs this week, hopefully I can do as well as your group LukeYVR.

LukeYVR

• I'm a llama lover..
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2005, 10:13:16 PM »

and here is a result...

As usual, we dropped 2 traps in Jericho, 35Ft. deep.
We caught about 35 crabs all together, however, only 12 legal sized males.  >:(
Chum head worked just great!

Thank you.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2005, 10:46:02 PM by LukeYVR »

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2005, 01:50:52 AM »

Went crabbing and fishing in Indian Arm this morning before heading out to Sasamat. (what a long drive from Deep Cove to Balcarra)
Anyways caught our limit of crabs good eating, and got 9 soles. Not a bad day except the heavy rain.  :P

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2005, 05:10:15 PM »

You got 9 soles eh. Thats awsome i thought there werent many around at this time..What was your biggest?
weeeeeeeeeow!

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2005, 05:24:10 PM »

Biggest is a 16 in.

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2005, 06:36:33 PM »

good job