Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: BC River's Day Report, Sept. 25  (Read 4848 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
BC River's Day Report, Sept. 25
« on: September 25, 2005, 09:46:01 PM »

What a beautiful day it was today for the Chilliwack/Vedder River Cleanup Coalition to celebrate BC Rivers Day at Thompson Park near the shore of our beautiful jewel of a river, the Chilliwack River.

We were honoured to have Mark Angelo who started BC Rivers Day on the Thompson River 25 years ago attend our event. Also Barry Penner the Environment Minister, MLA John van Dogen, and City of Chilliwack mayor Clint Hames took part. It was good to see Barry go out and do some cleanup of the river as well. I heard him comment how bad the area he went to was, this will help us in the future I hope tighten up our littering laws and get some teeth into them. We will be meeting in the near future with him to discusss this I am sure.

We had some great displays, prize draws and a excellent lunch as well, althought we were disappointed we could not do a fish BBQ like last year because the fish had to be inspected and we were not prepared to use farmed salmon etc. from a store, but that is another story.

We were a bit disappointed in the turnout as it was down a bit from last year but we must have had close to 150 take in the proceedings with a good number of them taking part in the actual cleanup. With this number of volunteers we were able to get a lot of debris off the river bank.

Rodney will provide some pictures of the day and of one of the dumpsters close to full of garbage.

FWR was well represented as was some other fishing forums. I will not mention who was there from FWR as I could miss some but I am sure Rodney will slip them in with his report. I hope others that did attend will add some remarks as well of the day.

Thanks from the CVRCC directors to all that could attend and I hope more will be able to take in the next cleanup in January 2006.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2005, 09:56:44 PM by chris gadsden »

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
Re: BC River's Day Report, Sept. 25
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2005, 09:54:21 PM »

Sorry I couldnt make it out today Chris and other CVRCC directors. Unfourtunately had to work but thanks to all who came out.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2005, 10:19:41 PM »

Mark Angelo

Penner, Hames, Angelo, van Dogen

Garbage collected today

The rest of the photos

I'm not sure who from this forum attended, so I'll let you guys post your thoughts on today's event.

Honestly, I can't say I am impressed by today's overall attendance.

Nina

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2005, 02:43:20 AM »

I am sad to hear not more people showed up, especially with all the work you guys put into this.

But, hey, you win some you lose some and I am sure people had a great time anyway. The lower attendance this year is hopefully not because of lack of interest but just a coincidence. Thanks to the people who did show up to make the river a nicer place for everyone!  :)

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2005, 02:52:51 AM »

This morning brought the family to Cap in the morning did some cleanup. about 2 bags and alot of cans and bottles went to liquor store got 7.25 worth. Went to Inch Creek Hatchery to see the sturgeons. Kids really love them. Afterwards went to Vedder arrived about 4pm. Found a bag of garbage. (mainly, sandwitch bags, Mcdonald paper bags, pop cans...)

Why people dirty up a place so fast???

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2005, 06:52:33 AM »

Was at Brownsville Bar yesterday afternoon but had no garbage bags with me.  Unbelievable amount of lure packaging and crap lying around.  Just wondering where people think it goes?  >:(  Anyway, M. Angelo is a great guy, had him as an instructor for my Fish, Wildlife and Rec program at BCIT.  Very fortunate to learn from him.

Lew Chater

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2005, 08:22:56 AM »

Thanks Chris and Rodney for the report and pictures of BC Rivers Day on the Chwk Vedder River. Although the attendance was down from last year, the volunteers we had did a tremendous job! There were some very messy areas, mainly from campsites left from the summer, that took a lot of work to cleanup. Several groups brought in truckloads of material, couches etc. and went back out for a second load.

This was the CVRCC's 13th cleanup. We have four a year and now have 17 of the 25 sections of the river adopted. There was interest yesterday by several to consider adopting a section! So in four years we have come a long ways and there is no question that we are making a difference.We had reports yesterday that some of the areas were very clean.

Again, we had volunteers from all over the valley and many people who have been at many of our cleanups and we thank you. It is also surprising how many new people we have each time, thanks to them also.

You can tell by the picture of the dumpster that a lot of material was removed. This was from the upper river area. We also had a dumpster at the Great Blue Heron Reserve and it was about one third full.

It is good to know that this gem of a river got a bit of a face lift yesterday ! 
Fishing is not a matter of Life or Death... it's more important ~!

Truecast

• I think I'm Snagged
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2005, 12:04:18 PM »

Hey great job guys ;D I wish I could have been there but I had work >:(

I'll be heading up to chilliwack river this week and I'll be taking a garbage bag with me, though

doesn't look like y'all missed much ;)
As soon as I can afford to go fishing everyday, it's time to retire.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2005, 01:03:28 PM »

I forgot to thank those who made the effort to attend yesterday, you are very appreciated and continue to motivate us to keep the projects going. The more people we get on board, the easier it is to keep the Vedder clean throughout the whole year.

Yesterday, before heading to the cleanup, we stopped by Keith Wilson Bridge at 7:30am to take a few photos. There were between 50 and 60 people fishing at that time.

Just think how much easier if every person in that section picks up one bag of garbage.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2005, 01:32:19 PM »

Took the bottles and tins in today from the cleanup and some donated by Don's Son in Law. A tidy sum of $68 for the CVRCC bank account. ;D ;D Thanks to alll that took the time to pick them up.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2005, 01:43:00 PM by chris gadsden »

flyguy44

• who's a lama
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2005, 07:20:45 PM »

I've been to the last 5 clean-ups . I also do clean-ups on an adopted section of the river but I thought it was more important to attend my brothers funeral .
ANY DAY ON THE RIVER IS A GOOD DAY

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2005, 08:31:53 PM »

I've been to the last 5 clean-ups . I also do clean-ups on an adopted section of the river but I thought it was more important to attend my brothers funeral .
Very sorry to hear of the loss of your brother. Thanks very much for being a part of a group that has adopted a section and for taking part in 5 cleanups in the past.

Thanks also Rivertreker for your participation and to the others that took and take the time to cleanup other people's garbage when they are out on the local rivers not only the Chilliwack/Vedder system. Great work and well done. ;D ;D

Bone Cross

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2005, 09:23:12 PM »

Well Rodney, I happened to show my face around there. Did my share in two big area's and then finished the day with a hatchey coho. Couldn't of had a better day for the cleanup.
from a Redneck point of View!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2005, 09:39:37 AM »

Thanks Bone Cross as well for your participation and it was nice to be rewarded with a coho as well. ;D ;D