Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Photosuckit - whoops PHOTOBUCKET blackmailing users for cash  (Read 3685 times)

Ambassador

Pretty annoying that Photobucket changed their policies recently - essentially blackmailing their users to buck up or lose the ability to share their photos on forums such as this. Now many great images from past posts have been replaced with "Please update your account to allow for 3rd party hosting".

Frustrating to see this - I'm sure most users will not shell out the $400 (US) - nor migrate to a new host and refresh all their posts. Endless amounts of great photos and info on this and many other forums will now be gone with the wind.  >:(

I've been using Imgur - hope they don't follow suit.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 10:09:00 AM by Ambassador »
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

fic

• Old Timer
Re: Photosuckit - whoops PHOTOBUCKET blackmailing users for cash
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 04:31:02 PM »

Sucks but you get what you pay for. I also signed for up imgur. Google Photos stopped working hmm.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 08:24:09 PM by fic »

Ambassador

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 05:14:54 PM »

Sucks but you get what you pay for. I also signed for up imgur, but also noticed Google Photos work as well.
I agree you get what you pay for (why did my $50 waders leak?  :P) - but it really sucks to be told you now have to pay for something you have been getting for free for as long as you remember - and can get for free from so many other places.

People have spent good time curating and posting their images in good faith that they would be there in the future - then to have them change to a very costly service with little to no notice to users is crap. I've been rifling through old posts on FWR lately and they are filled with these shitty image messages - basically rendering the posted comments useless. Should someone like HOOK (sorry to name names - but you have many awesome posts it would be a shame to lose) have to go shell out $400 or spend countless hours moving all his images to a new site, then re-link everything just so we can see the wealth of info he has shared with us?

I can see possibly charging the Etsy/Amazon/Ebay crowd for this service - but boning literally 100,000,000+ users will be the death of Photobucket (hopefully).

I love Imgur - but Google photos sounds like a good idea. They are probably the last ones that will start charging for this type of stuff.

"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 07:06:37 PM »

Every thing starts out FREE and then...
When you get addicted to the free...
You'll have to make a decision at some point...

Don't post pics, tell a good story.

I like good pics..
Not so much the instagratification  ones put out by those who still think the slabs on the rocks make you a good angler.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 08:27:32 AM »

Be careful about anything Google.

I stopped using Google for searches a few months ago. It took a long time for the search page to load so there were a ton of scripts working in the background gathering information from my computer.

I use a Chromebook laptop (with a Google Chrome OS).
After logging into my Youtube account on the Chromebook (while logged in with my Gmail account), the display name used in my Gmail account was changed to the name from my Youtube account (I'd rather have my real name).

Started using Bing as my search engine - don't see a different in search results but the maps suck.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 09:40:40 AM »

Google automatically uploads my pictures from my Android phone so it's kind of convenient if there is a way for 3rd party hosting. I started out using Flick'r many years ago, but they started putting a limit on the total number of pictures I can upload without paying? I guess Imgur it is until it stops being free too lol.

As the saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words, and lots of times I prefer to look at a pictures than to read somebody's 1000 word rant.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 10:17:32 AM »

I just posted a pic from Photobucket to another site and it worked.
Let's try it here, too.

Biggest pink I ever caught (2015):

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 10:17:59 AM »

So, it works...I don't understand what the problem is with Photobucket.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 10:53:22 AM »

I think they must be using some sort of algorithm to identify how many times a image is loaded from a particular page. If you post a picture on a new page, then they didn't have time to identify that page yet. Go look at your previous postings that had pictures on this board. You should see the above Photobuck 3rd Party Hosting warning.
--------
http://blog.photobucket.com/please-review-latest-changes-photobucket/

Moving forward, new and legacy free account users will NOT have third party
hosting available.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 11:05:45 AM by fic »

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2017, 11:28:26 AM »

I think they must be using some sort of algorithm to identify how many times a image is loaded from a particular page. If you post a picture on a new page, then they didn't have time to identify that page yet. Go look at your previous postings that had pictures on this board. You should see the above Photobuck 3rd Party Hosting warning.
--------
http://blog.photobucket.com/please-review-latest-changes-photobucket/

Moving forward, new and legacy free account users will NOT have third party
hosting available.

I did. All my pics are intact. I don't get it.
Maybe they grandfathered me for being with them since 2002? ???

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2017, 11:55:57 AM »

Looking at some older posts, it looks to me their enforcement of this is not consistent. Some people's photobucket pictures show, while others are blocked.  Who knows what recipe they are using to block certain accounts while allowing others.

Blocked Users on this Board: Rodney, Hook
Unblocked Users: milo
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 12:00:16 PM by fic »

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2017, 03:24:04 PM »

All of my photos across several forums have been wiped out.

TimL

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2017, 05:41:43 PM »

Google automatically uploads my pictures from my Android phone so it's kind of convenient if there is a way for 3rd party hosting. I started out using Flick'r many years ago, but they started putting a limit on the total number of pictures I can upload without paying? I guess Imgur it is until it stops being free too lol.

As the saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words, and lots of times I prefer to look at a pictures than to read somebody's 1000 word rant.
Flickr now has a 1 TB storage limit for a free account..which for me is a lot of space for photos...I have not used up more than 1% of the storage space since I joined 10 years ago lol! Unless you are uploading lots of high resolution images, 1 TB is plenty I think but that's just me..not sure what other's preferences are

Birkenhead

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2017, 06:21:39 PM »

Flickr now has a 1 TB storage limit for a free account..which for me is a lot of space for photos...I have not used up more than 1% of the storage space since I joined 10 years ago lol! Unless you are uploading lots of high resolution images, 1 TB is plenty I think but that's just me..not sure what other's preferences are

Flickr is owned by Yahoo which was just sold to Verizon so don't count on this to last forever considering Verizon's track record in the industry.

Dogbreath

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2017, 08:09:13 AM »

https://imgbb.com/

looks promising not much info available bout who owns it though.