Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: First Boat  (Read 5614 times)

jpen828

First Boat
« on: September 09, 2014, 04:50:29 PM »

Hello All,

Long time looker, first time poster! I am looking at buying a relatively cheap used boat. Love to fish, and feel like a boat can take me to the next level. I am looking at older 14-16ft fiberglass, outboard boats. Can you offer any advice on what to look for in terms of a setup? Any tips and advice would be helpful. Also, what are the essentials to getting out there for salmon? Not looking for your secret spots or anything but I am a noob, and any tips would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

Humpy

Re: First Boat
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 04:53:55 PM »

For the Fraser river I would recommend an aluminum boat.
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 05:56:33 PM »

This has come up many times before but I'll give you some tips from my experience.

BUY AN ALUMINUM BOAT

I've had 3 large boats (17 feet or bigger) - 2 fibreglass boats and 1 aluminum boat.
Both fibreglass boats experienced wood rot in the floors and/or transoms and it is very hard to diagnose unless you have some boat experience.

The floor issue not so much - you can walk around and feel the mushy floor but the transom is difficult to spot.
Both problems will require extensive repairs.

With aluminum boats, you can pretty much see if there are any issues with the hull or transom.
Plus, aluminum boats are much more durable in regular use - you can beach the boat without having to worry.

Get a mid-sized outboard - 70/80 HP - cheaper on gas.
Inboards are a huge pain and require regular maintenance like a car - oil changes and the like.

Deep-V boats are designed to battle waves in the ocean so not necessary on the Fraser.
A flatter hulled boat will be a little more forgiving in shallower water.

jpen828

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 06:28:43 PM »

Would like Aluminum... the limiting factor is price... they seem to be much more expensive then fiberglass. I would like to be able to head out on the salt chuck, as well as do some lake fishing... A good all arounder I suppose

Alomar

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 07:29:22 PM »

If you are interested in ocean fishing definately go with a 16 ft boat, much more comfortable and safer out there

jpen828

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 07:36:36 PM »

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/boa/4655493831.html

Controls need re rigging? Older outboard... don't know much but looks ok?

Dragnet

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 09:04:54 PM »

Are wanting an open boat or one with a cabin on it?

jpen828

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 08:45:55 PM »

Open... Preferably with a bimini top but perhaps not. I want a good all arounder... Some ocean, lakes, etc

Dragnet

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2014, 08:16:23 PM »

Sorry for the delay, I'm still trying to come to terms as to whether I will sell my little baby or not.  I'm getting older and it is getting harder to deal with getting rid of something you have enjoyed so much. 30 hp Yamaha and 14' Mirrocraft aluminum.

jpen828

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2014, 10:25:58 PM »

Nice... I get that... but theres always a new toy around the corner right... does it have a console? wide beam?

Humpy

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2014, 10:31:27 PM »

Sorry for the delay, I'm still trying to come to terms as to whether I will sell my little baby or not.  I'm getting older and it is getting harder to deal with getting rid of something you have enjoyed so much. 30 hp Yamaha and 14' Mirrocraft aluminum.
If you do decide to sell your boat, let me know as I would be interested too.

jpen828

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2014, 12:50:41 AM »

Dragnet, PM me if you are serious about parting with it...

Dragnet

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2014, 08:24:55 PM »

Humpy and Jpen828:

This boat is loaded and has been fished in Bamfield, Port Hardy, Port Alberni, Active Pass, Ambleside, Howe Sound, Sunshine Coast, and Shuswap Lake.  I am just talking it over with the wife and I will keep you in mind.  Haven't set my mind on a price but it would come with everything, riggers, life jackets, bilge pump, batteries, depth sounder, swivel seats, trailer etc, etc. etc.  Thanks for the interest. No center console.

Humpy

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2014, 08:27:06 PM »

Humpy and Jpen828:

This boat is loaded and has been fished in Bamfield, Port Hardy, Port Alberni, Active Pass, Ambleside, Howe Sound, Sunshine Coast, and Shuswap Lake.  I am just talking it over with the wife and I will keep you in mind.  Haven't set my mind on a price but it would come with everything, riggers, life jackets, bilge pump, batteries, depth sounder, swivel seats, trailer etc, etc. etc.  Thanks for the interest. No center console.
Thanks, you can shoot me a PM if you decide to sell it.

jpen828

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2014, 09:18:39 AM »

Humpy and Jpen828:

Wow, that sounds like a pretty sweet setup... Are you looking to go bigger?