Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: deer lake burnaby  (Read 5830 times)

fishgutz63

deer lake burnaby
« on: March 30, 2010, 10:14:58 PM »

hey, rodney you mentioned in one of the topics about stocking ,that deer lake burnaby gets stocked last with very few trout because the water in the lake is  not very  good for trout.so why doesnt the fisheries then try stocking it with bass, because over the years this lake is slowly getting over grown by underwater plants ,weeds and lily  pads perfect enviroment for bass, sure would  be nice to see this great body of water being taken advantage of by the fishing public.  8)

vancook

• Old Timer
Re: deer lake burnaby
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 10:24:42 PM »

I don't believe any of the hatcheries raise bass...if someone were to deposit some specimens in there they would probably multiply and do well...but that would be enviromentally unethical  :P

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 10:34:11 PM »

Definitely not a good idea to introduce non native species such as bass. For starters Deer lake is not a contained body of water, it has a creek which leads to Burnaby lake and ultimately the Fraser river.

If you want to learn more about invasive species have a read.

http://www.oregonlive.com/environment/index.ssf/2009/03/invasive_species_are_greatest.html

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 10:37:16 PM »

absolutely. they last thing we want is bass to make their way into salmon grounds, devestating creatures

fishgutz63

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 07:22:09 AM »

hey guys,thanx for your insight into this topic.im also just being curious also about hatzic lake,this lake has bass in it and does'nt it also drain into the fraser? 8)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 07:57:42 AM by fishgutz63 »

Bill

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 07:38:17 AM »

hey guys,thanx for your insight into this topic.im also just being curious also about hatzic lake,this lake has bass in it and does'nt it also drain into the fraser?

I do believe this lake does drain into the Fraser I was talking to a friend of mine yesterday and he was telling me that last year that a 6 ft sturgeon was seen in the lake ??? 

FishOn36

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 11:14:22 AM »

I do believe this lake does drain into the Fraser I was talking to a friend of mine yesterday and he was telling me that last year that a 6 ft sturgeon was seen in the lake ???  

I don't know if there's sturgeon in there any more, but way back my uncle caught a 6 or so footer in there. I still remember it a bit, cause I was there but really young like 7 or 8 years old....I've got pics of it somewhere  ;D What's hatzic producing these days? I used to catch crappies there left, right and center!

dmocchi

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 01:03:59 AM »

I havent seen anything but carp being caught from that lake in the last few years..... :-\

fishgutz63

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 11:55:24 PM »

bass has been here for years and always will,humans are the biggest threat to the salmon population.  8)

Nutterbug

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 08:38:09 PM »

Is triploid bass okay?

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 08:43:11 PM »

bass are invasive spieces and should be removed by any means possible....even one by one.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2010, 07:36:15 AM »

Is triploid bass okay?

Triploid bass would be okay, but the bucket brigade first destroys a lake with Perch before stocking bass.

dmocchi

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2010, 11:46:45 AM »

bass are invasive spieces and should be removed by any means possible....even one by one.
\
I havent seen any Bass in the deer lake, burnaby, brunette systems whatsoever. But if 'invasive species' is a topic of discussion I think that all the carp are far more harmful overall than any bass.

Bavarian Raven

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2010, 02:27:34 PM »

carp are far more harmful overall than any bass

how do u figure this? carp dont eat everything that moves.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2010, 03:37:18 PM »

--I' don't' want to speed up the demise or unnecessarily diminish the southern range  of salmon, trout or kokanee but if Global Warming is an accepted reality then Bass should be conscidered.
--Bass are a good alternative for fishing in urban closed system fisheries.
--Also many southern interior lakes have no outflows and no native fisheries. High seasonal water temperature and lack of Oxygen often limit the fish populations thus requiring multiple stocking of catchable trout or air-eation.
--Mid 80's some of these lakes were being considered for and in some cases stocked with Bass,  but the door was politically slammed.
--Bass are a cost effective and exciting sport fishery and should be considered as part of an overall fisheries plan.
--For some I guess Bass just aren't as cute as the foreign Eastern Brookies which are commonly stocked throughout the interior.
--A good day's fishing for the Skaha Hat trick include a Trout, Kokanee and Smallmouith Bass
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 03:41:49 PM by skaha »