Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to improve spin on bushing pin reels???  (Read 5775 times)

bravo252

How to improve spin on bushing pin reels???
« on: December 15, 2008, 03:29:33 PM »

Hi~ Fellas!!! ;D

I fish with Avon Royal, Truedex, Rotator from Browning(manufactured by J.W Young).
The Avon spins perfect with my preference, but the other two spin less than Avon. :-\
I regularly fish and catch fish with those Trudex and Rotator. However, I want them to spin little better.

I currently use reel oil from Abu to maintain.

So~ do you guys have any suggestions to improve spin??

Any opinions would be appreciated!!!

Cheers!! :D

Bravo~
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 10:08:32 AM by bravo252 »

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
Re: How to improve spin on bushing reels???
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 04:59:45 PM »

a drop of light sewing machine oil works well

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 05:23:31 PM »

a drop of light sewing machine oil works well
Actually sewing machine oil is the wrong stuff to use-over time it'll turn to gunk.

You need to clean the bushings up good with solvent cleaner of one kind or the other then use a fast oil like Rocket Oil or Hot Sauce from Zebco.

Don't use Rocket Oil in freezing weather though so maybe that's out for Steelheading.

steeleagle

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 06:03:49 PM »

Clean all the old grease and oil off, reapply new oil (hot sauce is good), then set up a small fan to spin the reel overnight, it'll spin better then new once this is done, if not your bushing's might need replacing.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 07:17:15 PM »

Clean all the old grease and oil off, reapply new oil (hot sauce is good), then set up a small fan to spin the reel overnight, it'll spin better then new once this is done, if not your bushing's might need replacing.
Man this is what I love about fishing and the Internet, there's always an idea somebody has thought of that's an improvement. 8)

Bhinky

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 08:55:57 AM »

Man this is what I love about fishing and the Internet, there's always an idea somebody has thought of that's an improvement. 8)

Could you explain the fan part in a little more detail? how do you get it to spin the reel?

bravo252

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 10:21:03 AM »

Could you explain the fan part in a little more detail? how do you get it to spin the reel?

Wow~ Thanks for the input guys~!!! ;D

Yeah~ I also would like to know more detail about the fan setting~! Please~~~~~~~ ;D

Cheers~!!!

Bravo

steeleagle

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 03:27:17 PM »

This is how you go about the fan trick, note it depends on the type of reel you have but is basically the same no matter what. You need to wedge something (small golf pencils work most of the time)  into on of the holes on the reel (the side that spins), then attach either a piece of cardboard or something similar to the pencil and set up a fan blowing air at the cardboard so it acts like a sail. Once you determine the correct angle of the fan to the cardboard she''ll be spinning like mad, now the easy part, sit back and enjoy a few cold ones while your contraption is at work. Have fun with it and remember to use only the best oil, something that wont gum up in the cold is key.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2008, 03:38:06 PM »

This is how you go about the fan trick, note it depends on the type of reel you have but is basically the same no matter what. You need to wedge something (small golf pencils work most of the time)  into on of the holes on the reel (the side that spins), then attach either a piece of cardboard or something similar to the pencil and set up a fan blowing air at the cardboard so it acts like a sail. Once you determine the correct angle of the fan to the cardboard she''ll be spinning like mad, now the easy part, sit back and enjoy a few cold ones while your contraption is at work. Have fun with it and remember to use only the best oil, something that wont gum up in the cold is key.

What a great idea.

obie1fish

Re: How to improve spin on bushing pin reels???
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 09:53:56 PM »

Just a thought- golf pencils are just the same size as those Tinker Toy pieces, and the green flap pieces from the kit could sub for the cardboard fan piece. And the dowel pieces have a prebuilt slot!

So if you've got some lying around (or sucked up by the vacuum like half of my kids' toys), then  you may have an alternative rig.

Keep warm with a cold one, Boys!

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 11:01:29 PM »

if u have a compresser and air gun, set it to a low psi and give er for a little while. My neighbor mike told me about that one
Fish killer 101

bravo252

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2008, 10:37:52 AM »

Wow~ the oil makes real big difference!!!! :o

I cleaned the reels and put bit of hot sauce, and then spining forever!!!!! ;D

Thanks again!!! :D

Cheers~

Bravo~

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2008, 04:44:07 PM »

Or...You could sell it and buy a new Curado.   ;D ;D

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2008, 05:41:25 PM »

i just took my winterrun and broke it in, spins way better than any i've seen. Lots of oil, lots of air. spin's super smooth
Fish killer 101

GRS1550

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2009, 03:01:22 PM »

anyone thought of useing a lapping compound?
It takes lots of time and effort, but when it is lapped , all that will be needed is a drop of oil and a clean up once or twice a year and your good to go.

Rob
Play Hard, Fish Harder