Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Panco Distribution Lures - Experience, thoughts  (Read 1943 times)

Tylsie

Panco Distribution Lures - Experience, thoughts
« on: September 19, 2023, 09:28:49 AM »

A friend of mine came across a collection of fishing items for sale for a very low price and picked it up thinking I might be interested. It was the usual stuff from hooks, floats, etc but there was also quite a few spoons and spinners from a company called Panco Distribution that was apparently based in Vernon. I have never heard of this company and there website/social media information is no longer valid. I am just wondering what people thoughts are on their product or if they know anything about the company.

I will say that spoons absolutely have some of the nicest paint jobs I have ever seen on commercial lures and the spinners seem to be decent but haven't tried them yet.

Darko

• Old Timer
Re: Panco Distribution Lures - Experience, thoughts
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2023, 09:58:33 AM »

A friend of mine came across a collection of fishing items for sale for a very low price and picked it up thinking I might be interested. It was the usual stuff from hooks, floats, etc but there was also quite a few spoons and spinners from a company called Panco Distribution that was apparently based in Vernon. I have never heard of this company and there website/social media information is no longer valid. I am just wondering what people thoughts are on their product or if they know anything about the company.

I will say that spoons absolutely have some of the nicest paint jobs I have ever seen on commercial lures and the spinners seem to be decent but haven't tried them yet.

I actually bought a 70 series sturgeon reel from them on marketplace recently, I have not used it yet but it seems to be built well. I got it for a very good price.
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

redside1

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2023, 10:03:25 AM »

PANCO was owned and operated by Peter & Nancy Woo. Hence the PANCO name. They "aged" out and sold it to someone in the Okanogan (can't remember who). Most of their products were very low priced Chinese knock offs of name brand products. Gibbs Koho & Kitimat copies, Panther Martin copies, etc. Quality wise most of the products are worth half of what I see people asking for them on Facebook Marketplace.  Surprised you think the paint jobs are of such high quality. Many lures are made from steel blanks not brass like most name branded products are. Most of this product will be from the very early 2000's or sometime in the last century.

roeman

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2023, 02:02:47 PM »

I actually bought a 70 series sturgeon reel from them on marketplace recently, I have not used it yet but it seems to be built well. I got it for a very good price.
One run for a 7 footer and boom goes the reel... 
Are you fishin or catchin

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2023, 03:51:43 PM »

One run for a 7 footer and boom goes the reel...
The guy who sold it to me said many people have bought them from him and used for sturgeon and he's had no complaints, of course he may be lying. I'll be trying it out this week so will see what its made of.
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

redside1

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2023, 09:11:36 AM »

The guy who sold it to me said many people have bought them from him and used for sturgeon and he's had no complaints, of course he may be lying. I'll be trying it out this week so will see what its made of.

may not be lying by any means, just his customers might not avid sturgeon fishermen going and cacthing lots of fish

jim

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2023, 05:24:18 AM »

I had a Panco agrillator spoon, 5/8th oz. caught a 9 lb steelhead on it. imitation krocodile...

Tylsie

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2023, 07:22:03 PM »

PANCO was owned and operated by Peter & Nancy Woo. Hence the PANCO name. They "aged" out and sold it to someone in the Okanogan (can't remember who). Most of their products were very low priced Chinese knock offs of name brand products. Gibbs Koho & Kitimat copies, Panther Martin copies, etc. Quality wise most of the products are worth half of what I see people asking for them on Facebook Marketplace.  Surprised you think the paint jobs are of such high quality. Many lures are made from steel blanks not brass like most name branded products are. Most of this product will be from the very early 2000's or sometime in the last century.

Thanks. The paint lines are by far and away crisper than any spoon I have seen on a Gibbs or Rapala (Liuhr Jensen) I have seen in years with the edge being perfectly even halfway down all the way around. That being said it could all flake off in a few uses; I haven't used them yet. Hooks don't matter to me as I always change my hooks out from stock because of size, colour, or just want to know the quality.

The spinners on the other hand just don't feel as smooth as some of my older mepps but will have to see. The price he paid they were definitely worth it.