Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many Chilliwack River hatchery marked coho salmon did you retain in fall 2009?

1 - 5
6 - 10
11 - 15
16 - 20
21 - 25
26 - 30
31+

Author Topic: 2009 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 107802 times)

Steel_Mo_Head

• Steel Fever.....

River is blown.. rising by the minute. 0 visibility tamahi down. Saw a couple of wild coho's and chums snagged at boulder hole..  Also checked out lickman.  Horrible day! SKUNKED! I think i'm finished until stealhead season gets hot.
I can't wait to fish ALL the time!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

I have been house bound with the flu today but I need a outing so will check for you.
Just got back from checking it in the Vedder Canal area and yes it is brown and blown out, partly because it is so mild out as there is a snow melt going on.

Saw hundred's of gulls feeding on what I presume is pink salmon eggs being washed down from above.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Vedder high and rising when I was out there this afternoon. I was amazed at the people out there in O visibility.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Visibility around 10 inches this AM. While checking it in the Canal area I found a 6 gram drennan, I did not know they made them that small. ;D

aquaholic

Drove by this afternoon around 3ish upper had maybe 1 foot of vis.. this week doesnt look to bad for rain should be ok by the weekend

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Drove by this afternoon around 3ish upper had maybe 1 foot of vis.. this week doesnt look to bad for rain should be ok by the weekend
Checked it at the lower right at dark and I thought maybe approaching close to 16 inches. Saw a couple of fresh run chum salmon taken and a few no so great ones, all taken by long lining. One had been killed with single eggs spread over the beach.

Sad once again to see a couple of chum salmon hauled up on the beach before being guided by the feet back into the water. ::)

If there is some coho salmon going through the system tomorrow might be OK but I am sure there will be some fresh run chum if anyone wants one for the smoker.

I think I may try for some cutthroat for the brood stock program, I must remember the tube this time. ;D

Tin Bear

Chris/Anyone else know if Thurston Meadows campround is open and if there is still someone staying up there locking the gate at night?

Much Appreciated,
Greg

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Conditions were good this am, landed a 15 inch clipped coho jack and lost a coho. Of course many chum salmon kept the morning interesting, some fresh run ones too. Floats were in abundance too, with 50 found including another 6 gram drennan.

I think I should open a float shop. ;D ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

River stayed in nicely when I checked it later this afternoon. Checked the coho salmon indicator spot  :-X also  ;D ;D and some nice fresh run coho salmon had been taken. ;D ;D

Cleaned up some garbage on the system and added another drennan to my growing collection. ;D

River should be prime for a coho salmon tomorrow and of course there is plenty of chum salmon to pull the float down and give you a good tussle. Just close your eyes and think it is an early run steelhead. :D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Conditions about the same as yesterday but a bit windy made it cooler than it actually was. Lew and I tangled with several chum salmon but they all fell off. Lew had a bright chum salmon jump before it fell off, tried to tell me it was a steelhead. ;D ;D After lunch I went and looked for some new water and found a nice spot where I lost 6 more, some were fresh run too, must be bad hooks to  loose so many.  :-\ Numerous bites to keep things interesting and I got interupted by a phone call by Rodney when the bite was on. ;D ;D Saw no coho salmon taken but very few anglers out. ???

Ended the day taking the flossing duck out for the first evening flight of the year. A few mallards came for a boo but they did not offer the shot I wanted as if I got them they would have fallen into some thick swamp grass making them hard to find, should get a dog once again.

Looks like heavy rain tomorrow but we may get a few hours in the AM before the river goes out once again. Hopefully I can find coho salmon #4 before that happens.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

How much longer will there be fresh runs of chum ??
Actually there is a late run that comes into the Vedder into January. I caught a couple once by the Vedder Crossing Bridge while fishing for steelhead. I though they were steelhead for a few seconds they were so bright. I lost a fresh chum salmon this Am when fishing with Lew, the river was nice when I left to film the steelhead fingerling release but when I checked it at dark it was out as we got a snow melt and rain in the headwaters of the Chilliwack.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.

How does the river look?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

How does the river look?
Sorry I did not get to look at it yesterday as I was away fishing for cutthroat for the brood stock program all yesterday.
However I did look at it this AM and I thought it was a tad over 1 foot. Should improve as the snow level is now down on the local mountains.

Catch44

Was wondering if anybody went out on the weekend..how'd ya do.?..I went to peach to try it out....nothing...or maybe its cause i was on the lower end of the river...or am i in the wrong spot and should have been up river more ?...Thanx.

living_blind

• My Band - Kilmore Place

It's supposed to cool down a fair amount tonight. Conditions should improve everywhere.