Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What is you favourite brand/type of tying thread?

UTC ultra threads
UNI threads
Danville flymaster
Other (please specify)

Author Topic: Favourite Tying Thread  (Read 4699 times)

pwn50m3 f15h3r

• What a great fish...
Favourite Tying Thread
« on: January 27, 2014, 02:49:02 PM »

There are many different threads on the market now. What is your favouite thread and why?

Personally, my favouite is between Danville 6/0 olive and UTC 70 denier in black. I use these in most of my flies (Danville for smaller flies and UTC for slightly larger ones/ chronomids). I also use UTC 140 denier in white for other purposes such as attatching loop to fly line, ED's trailer hooks, and intruder underbodies.
Someone was here

typhoon

• Old Timer
Re: Favourite Tying Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 03:59:55 PM »

Benecchi 12/0
Great colours, very fine, very strong, no fraying.

I only use thicker for steelhead/salmon flies where it takes too much thread to build up the head - then anything will do.

pwn50m3 f15h3r

• What a great fish...
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 07:12:40 PM »

Benecchi 12/0
Great colours, very fine, very strong, no fraying.

I only use thicker for steelhead/salmon flies where it takes too much thread to build up the head - then anything will do.
I also have a spool of benecchi thread in black. I like to use it for small flies but I think that my danville's 6/0 has replaced that
Someone was here

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 01:04:02 AM »

I use both Uni and UTC threads. Uni for my trout flies in 6/0 & 8/0, I do have a few spools in 10/0, 12/0. UTC is 140 & 210 for tying salmon, steelhead and bully flies. Great thread if you use dubbing loops a lot because it splits well and is strong.

I have 1 spool of Benecchi I have been using and I like it. It sort of looks like a fine rope and is very strong as well.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Ian Forbes

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 06:35:16 PM »

Whomever makes strong, 8X to 10X thread is my favourite. More wraps, less bulk is the secret... unless you actually need a bulky body.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 12:35:25 AM »

Whomever makes strong, 8X to 10X thread is my favourite. More wraps, less bulk is the secret... unless you actually need a bulky body.

My bulky body allows me to wade places my old skinny body couldn't  :o
Plus I don't need as many layers in the winter time  ;)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Ian Forbes

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 01:25:09 AM »

Nice play on words, Hook. the best wader I ever knew was Bruce Gerhart. Bruce was long and lanky, but he waded places that people said couldn't be done. I almost drowned a couple of times trying to follow him. There is a story in Campbell River where some stranger saw Bruce WAY out in the middle of the river, and thinking that Bruce had been swept down from upstream, they were going to call search and rescue. That is until until someone told them... "Ah, that's just Bruce. He does that all the time."

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 10:18:08 AM »

All of the above. Danville is an old favourite and I sense it has the best thread control for me at least. Uni is very strong relative to the other two but has a wire character which slightly degrades control at times. UTC has some great colours. I haven't used Benecchi.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 08:41:40 PM »

Started using UTC lately and am really impressed. Great colours and great strength, think this is my new favourite.

Ian Forbes

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 02:04:30 AM »

We've sure come a long way since I first started tying flies. I would cut about 18 inches of nylon sewing thread and laboriously separate the 3 strands, and then carefully wax each piece before tying a fly. For most trout flies it took about 18 inches of thread to complete a fly.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2014, 10:01:40 AM »

I've always used UTC 140 for bigger ties (jigs, intruders, etc) and UTC 70 for smaller flies (trout, smaller salmon flies, etc). I took a chronomid tying class at Searun the other day and the instructor provided everyone with Benecchi 12/0 to use. MAN, for spider thread thin thread it' sure strong! I didn't have it break once and I'm pretty heavy handed. Next time I'm picking up tying supplies I plan to buy several spools of this 12/0 for chronomid tying.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2014, 09:42:36 PM »

Personal favourite atm is Veevus thread.  A few local shops carry it but they have lots of selection, even going down to 18/0 thread.

I like the breaking strength and quality, in fact I think the 10/0 has higher breaking strength then some brands 8/0.

Ian Forbes

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2014, 06:00:40 PM »

I just checked the thread that I finish off most of my flies with... Orvis 10/0

If I need to bulk up a body I will use 3/0 and then 6/0 Danville to tie heavier materials.