Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Flybc Spey Day on the Vedder New Year's day morning~  (Read 8498 times)

mastercaster

• Old Timer
Flybc Spey Day on the Vedder New Year's day morning~
« on: December 31, 2012, 03:34:27 PM »

Just a little heads up if you're planning on fishing the Vedder tomorrow morning.  Not trying to tell anyone where to fish but there will be 40-45 guys armed with two handed flyrods fishing in the area of the train bridge so it might not be a bad idea to avoid the area..... unless you choose to wear your hardhart to protect yourself against 5" intruders whizzing over your heads!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Flybc Spey Day on the Vedder New Year's day morning~
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 03:38:19 PM »

Now you've done it Brent! A bunch of bait pigs are probably going to anchor themselves in hip deep water from the head to the tail of that run at 4am regardless how cold the water is just to tickle you swingers. ;D

Have fun! The weather should be great for it. :)

Pin-nook

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 03:58:50 PM »

Hell yeah! Nothing beats corking fly guys especially the ones with "I'm better than thou Gear Fisherman" attitudes!

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 04:19:13 PM »

I know you posted this out of respect Brent, lets just hope it doesn't bite you and the guys in the butt tomorrow as there's still the odd moron out there who thinks the above quote is actually true. ::)

Hopefully some gear guys will stop by and see what a good time it is and maybe even learn how to cast a rod or two as I know the boys are more than willing to show a newcomer the way to becoming a broke addict. ;D

elroyperch

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 04:38:53 PM »

sounds like a hoot.may come by and learn a thing or two

islanddude

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 04:54:45 PM »

Could be a ruse or facade to draw away fisherman from where they are really are going.

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 05:13:04 PM »

Hell yeah! Nothing beats corking fly guys especially the ones with "I'm better than thou Gear Fisherman" attitudes!

I'll assume you're joking but whether you're chucking a spoon, guts, or a fly..... river etiquette is river etiquette.  From what I experienced yesterday it does not exist on the Vedder. 

I not only got low holed once on every run I fished yesterday but 2 and 3 times on each run and twice at different times of the day the guy who dropped in below me hooked a fish.  I've given up making a fuss about it .  I just shake my head in wonder...... although, if it's a new to stleelhead fisherman I'll try to educate them in a way that won't affend them and 9 out of 10 times they thank you for the heads up.

Even when I gear fish, and I still do from time to time, I still look to see what the guy at the top of the run is doing.  If he's got his butt anchored to a rock and he tells me after asking that he's not working his way down the run I'll drop in below him.  If, on the other hand, he's moving I wouldn't think for a moment it's my god given right to fish anywhere I wanted to.....meaning below him.  The last thing I need is to have my father turn over in his grave for something like that, which undoubtedly he would do.   :D

For those interested in popping down, as mentioned, there are always some rods to try or just spend some time around the fire BS'ing.  It's all good~

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 08:27:55 PM »

I'll assume you're joking but whether you're chucking a spoon, guts, or a fly..... river etiquette is river etiquette.  From what I experienced yesterday it does not exist on the Vedder. 

I not only got low holed once on every run I fished yesterday but 2 and 3 times on each run and twice at different times of the day the guy who dropped in below me hooked a fish.  I've given up making a fuss about it .  I just shake my head in wonder...... although, if it's a new to stleelhead fisherman I'll try to educate them in a way that won't affend them and 9 out of 10 times they thank you for the heads up.

Even when I gear fish, and I still do from time to time, I still look to see what the guy at the top of the run is doing.  If he's got his butt anchored to a rock and he tells me after asking that he's not working his way down the run I'll drop in below him.  If, on the other hand, he's moving I wouldn't think for a moment it's my god given right to fish anywhere I wanted to.....meaning below him.  The last thing I need is to have my father turn over in his grave for something like that, which undoubtedly he would do.   :D

For those interested in popping down, as mentioned, there are always some rods to try or just spend some time around the fire BS'ing.  It's all good~

Good post Brent and so right, etiquette and manners are sadly lacking on the Vedder these days.  Good luck with your outing :)

mtn man

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 10:02:09 PM »

left the river today at dusk, lots of young kids heading to the train bridge to party, expect a lot of garbage, maybe bring a box of garbage bags and do a clean up while your there. Its early in the season and its already looking pretty disgusting. Everybody likes Tim Hortons but does it hurt that bad to put the empty cup in the trash or better yet recycle it? Might swing buy for a swing.

chronic_topdawg

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 10:53:05 PM »

bar fishin what ;D

Brian the fisherman

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 12:23:55 PM »

I have yet to see any etiquette  this steelhead season.
For the last week i have been out before sun up. got my excellent spot just to have 4-5 guys wander in and fish side to side of me.

I have been pushed out of many runs because im solo out there and they come in groups.
There have been a few long leader men bottom bouncing with 10+ ft leaders as well
and Several people fishing with large barbed hooks...

With that being said I have still connected with fish.. just never around the group of intruders..
I tend to let them push fish to the edges of the run and pick them up with a far cast.
Only been into 3 fish and lost one large buck but I would like to see more fisherman accept the loss when there is someone in the spot already. especially when they show up just after first light and I have been there for 45 min...

Im starting to think there is no good reason to get up early anymore. ill just waltz down in where I please...
Tight lines to all

kid fisherman

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2013, 01:23:16 PM »

For the last week i have been out before sun up. got my excellent spot just to have 4-5 guys wander in and fish side to side of me.

I have been pushed out of many runs because im solo out there and they come in groups.
There have been a few long leader men bottom bouncing with 10+ ft leaders as well

With that being said I have still connected with fish.. just never around the group of intruders..
I tend to let them push fish to the edges of the run and pick them up with a far cast.
Only been into 3 fish and lost one large buck but I would like to see more fisherman accept the loss when there is someone in the spot already. especially when they show up just after first light and I have been there for 45 min...

Im starting to think there is no good reason to get up early anymore. ill just waltz down in where I please...

It's really upsetting when this happens. This is my second year steelheading and the very fist thing I did was learn the proper way of the river. It just makes fishing a whole lot better when you can get along and fish with guys I have never met. Also what is it with people running to ther spot or back up to the top of a run? Drives me nuts!

Happy new year to all and best of luck!

Nano

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2013, 02:39:00 PM »

Where are you guys fishing??? Try moving around to the less populated spots that's where all the guys with etiquette are hiding...
I'm yet to fish the same run with more than 1 guy on it this year.

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2013, 02:46:39 PM »

No kidding no one seems to know the proper etiquette on the river. I had the same thing happen. Arrive before first light and get in line above a guy who arrived just before me. As light finally arrives we begin to work from the top of the run down, then 3 guys wander in near the bottom of the run and tail out and proceed to fence post. They can clearly see us working down but jump ahead anyways. Brutal. I've been low holed pretty much every outting this season. And sad to say I've run into bottom bouncers and as well.

kid fisherman

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2013, 02:58:32 PM »

Upper river, I find it happens a lot after 10 when people move up the river.