Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Capilano River July 23rd  (Read 2663 times)

Ed

• I'm a llama!
Capilano River July 23rd
« on: July 24, 2004, 09:27:16 AM »

Hey i just joined this forum and just testing things out with my first post.
I was fishing the capilano on the 23rd of July all afternoon during lowtide, saw quite a few fish jump but none seem to be getting caught so i was just wondering if other people were also having the same problem with catching the fishes in the capilano. I would be grateful if someone could give some tips on what to use for the fishes in the capilano. Thanks
« Last Edit: July 25, 2004, 11:10:21 PM by Rodney »

ham

Re:Capilano River
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2004, 09:45:31 AM »

Welcome Ed. Fulc hes saying out in the bay, he was there at low tide ;D

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2004, 09:46:45 AM »

OH that would explain why no fish were bitting. THANKS lol
Hey i have another question if the Capilano is a bad river to fish in around the lower mainland area then what river would you recomend for fishing for salmon right now? Thanks.

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2004, 09:49:06 AM »

yeah lol i meant at the mouth of the capilano river. It was pretty depressing seeing no fish bitting then when i look at the Indian Reserve and the people there caught 3 fish  :'(

j-fish

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2004, 09:59:52 AM »

Hi Ed and everyone else.
I too am new to these forums, and also somewhat new to fishing. The capilano mouth during low tide was recommended to me as a solid place to cast my spinning lures. In 2 attempts, i have not received a single bite, and like you have also been depressed by all the fish jumping around me. I was also very confused with the state of my lure after each cast... 90% of the time, it would return with about 1 pound of algie on the hook?? So if anyone could help clarify the proper techniques of casting with Buzzbombs and Gibbs (In my case these were the lures i was using) and just any other general pointers, it would be greatly appreciated.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2004, 11:01:04 AM »

J-fish, what you just described is common at the mouth. Lots of fish but few biters. Lots of seaweed. I find the ebb tide works best for me. As to the seaweed I would suggest a slightly faster retrieve to ensure that your lure is off the bottom. The key is patience. There will be days when there will be fish jumping all over the place but no biters (like last night) interspersed by days they bite quite well.

Bantam_50

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2004, 11:46:16 PM »

Ed, don't get discouraged. I've fished them same coho for umteen earlier mornings going back 20 years and always managed to draw a blank. Then seen someone new to fishing come down the first time and WHAM!.. fish on. It's like all angling, some times you win, some times the fish win. They're one up on me there.

Persistance can pay off. Try using spinners, spoons and yes that green buzz bomb. Heck even flyfishing has gotten it's fair share. Good Luck.

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2004, 11:56:03 PM »

yeah
Coho salmon 4  - Ed 0  :'(

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2004, 06:12:19 PM »

I was also very confused with the state of my lure after each cast... 90% of the time, it would return with about 1 pound of algie on the hook?? So if anyone could help clarify the proper techniques of casting with Buzzbombs and Gibbs (In my case these were the lures i was using) and just any other general pointers, it would be greatly appreciated.

I think the deal with buzz bombs is when they sink they imitate a wounded bait fish dropping,probly better off used in deeper water.
for the shallower spots try spinners like blue fox, retrive just fast enough  to avoid bottom, pinch the barb and check hook sharpness often.For greater casting distance try lighter line or a small spit shot added two feet up the line.

FlyNut

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2004, 10:54:30 PM »

I fish the canyon too.  I don't think any fishing time or method is reliable on the cap.  Those ho's get lockjaw pretty good, you are at the mercy of the fish.

gman, how's fishing in the canyon (not cable pool)?  Not much water in Cap.

FlyNut

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2004, 11:07:58 PM »

I was last there about 4 weeks ago, had a couple of missed takes but I was teaching someone to fish so didn't have my attention where I should have.  I don't fish cable pool either...that day some of the other pools I fish were pretty shallow and filled with nothing more than Coho smolts.

I was fly fishing those pools a month ago, as well.   Too many smolts.. felt sorry to harm those little things, but they would just attack the fly like there was no tomorrow.

Bantam_50

Re:Capilano River July 23rd
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2004, 01:45:22 AM »

LOL...here's some advise from an old Cap flogger.  ;)

Unless someone knows how to make it rain for a week to fill the dam and allow them to spill excess, the Cap is done till the fall monsoons.

Your best bet is to fish the beach mouth, when you  have a high flood tide that coincides with sunrise and then fish that dropping tide. Jumping and porpoising fish will enable you to key in on them. Trick is to entice one to smack your offering. If you have a boat even better.

To allow for better distance coverage on working them spinners, use a 3 way swivel on your main line, attach a 4-5 ft. leader to opposite end of 3 way, then to spinner and a dropper line on the side eyelet of the 3 way, pinch on required amount of pencil lead.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re:Capilano River July 23rd
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2004, 11:00:27 AM »

Yes, you definitely do