Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ice Fishing Region 3  (Read 1805 times)

samw

Ice Fishing Region 3
« on: February 17, 2016, 11:13:53 PM »

Went to a lake in Region 3 for my very first ice fishing experience.  The ice was 18" thick or more.  On days when I started after 12 noon, I had very few bites but got skunked.  Luckily I got to the lake at 10am on one day and watched an Eastern Brook trout swim near the surface above my worm tipped spoon as I was lying on the ice looking down the 10" hole.  I was able to quickly bring the spoon up to the top in front of it and got it to bite.  Landed the 2lb 14" female.  Its stomach was full of scuds.  Local anglers were doing well on shrimp and meal worms.  Fishing wasn't exactly on fire though when I was there.  I could see fish swim by the bait without a care and jigging the spoon after it has swam by wouldn't make it double back.  Other anglers who were fishing at the same time as me were saying the same thing.  That's because when I was there mostly in the afternoon, they were no longer actively feeding as much as in the morning.  The guys that did well were those who fished in the morning.  I also brought along a Deeper Smart Fishfinder with me to help.