Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser Success in the Maple Leaf July 13th  (Read 3884 times)

Lew Chater

Fraser Success in the Maple Leaf July 13th
« on: July 13, 2004, 10:24:26 PM »

Met up with Chris and Dr. Spin Glo for breakfast at 8:00 and launched the Chris Craft oops I mean the Maple Leaf about 9:30, a late start. Once at Maple Leaf Bar, met Nick and buddies who had no fish. Bar rigs soon in the water and settle in and Dinamite Kid comes in with his jet and throws his rig out , comes up to yak  with us and of course hooks a fish right away. Lands a nice 6 lb spring. Nick hooks a small fish and it  comes off. Then we are treated to one great lightning and thunder storm and just as my rod starts to go there was a lightning and thunder clap so close they were together. Closer than we liked it that's for sure. Did land the fish, a nice 9.5 lb spring as weighed on Chris's new digital scale. Now the good Dr. has a new Fraser King rod but it remains a virgin as he was practising his long release thing today by losing two nice fish. Now the quide for the day was falling a little behind, but Chris outwaited us and finally his rod started to bounce just as he was on the cell phone talking  to his buddy about tomorrows trip. The Dr. grabbed his rod as Chris had his chest waders down around his ankles as it was so hot this afternoon and I wish I had his video camera on him as he hopped, skipped and jumped out to his rod. But as skilled as he is he did manage to land a really nice 14.8 chrome spring. A young family friend of mine was there and he also landed an 11.4 lb spring. Chris really got to use his new digital scale today. We saw 10 fish hooked and four landed amongst our group all on the bar rigs. What a great day with good fishing buddies, lots of laughs, good food and lots of fish hooked. I have some pictures but don't know how to post them. It was suggested that I send them to Hook and he could get them on so I will try that. I don't imagine that the Dr. is home yet, and I'm sure Chris will add to this later
« Last Edit: July 13, 2004, 11:17:25 PM by Rodney »
Fishing is not a matter of Life or Death... it's more important ~!

Hook

Re:Fraser Success in the Maple Leaf
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2004, 10:35:23 PM »

Sounds like too much much fun. Wish I was there.
I also ran into that storm today as I was working out in the Valley and got out of my van just as a huge lightning bolt flashed.
As far as pictures go, send them over and I'll get them posted.

Hook

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2004, 10:49:02 PM »

Lew Chater

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2004, 10:59:33 PM »

thanks for posting the pictures Hook ! ;D
Fishing is not a matter of Life or Death... it's more important ~!

d_w

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2004, 11:01:35 PM »

Thanks for the report, geez those are nice fish :)
Fishing Is life the rest Is just details

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2004, 11:08:30 PM »

Aegh.... Can't believe I went to Banff instead with the girls... >:(

FishOn

• This sure beats workin!
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2004, 11:18:45 PM »

Great report and very nice pics. I'm jealous as I was stuck at work all day. Hopefully the fish will still be there and it won't be too crowded on the weekend when I venture out.

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
Re:Fraser Success in the Maple Leaf July 13th
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2004, 11:43:16 PM »

Great work guys, beautiful fish!!! I have to get out there sometime.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2004, 11:49:22 PM »

As Lew has filled you in with most of the details will only add a bit. ;D

After an early dentist appointment an enjoyable breakfast with Lew and the Good Doctor. Thanks again by the way for breaky Brad.

As we arrive at Island 22 most anglers have headed for their fishing areas. Of course good old Maple Leaf Bar that has been so good to us this year was in our sights for a possible all day trip.

Was good therapy to recover from the trip to Victoria yesterday that was a stressful day as most family funerals are.

The day started off badly as I was only 3 minutes late for my reservation on BC Ferries ( you have to be there 30 minutes ahead) So I did not get on the 11 o'clock sailing. The bad part was my cel phone rang just as I reached the ticket booth so I really did not have a chance to tell the agent could she make an exception. Only 3 minutes late. ::) When I asked her if I would get on she said yes but I missed the sailing by 6 cars. It turned out then by getting the 12pm ferry I was 20 minutes late for the funeral.

Anyway being out today with Lew, The Good Doctor, Dynamite Kid and a few other friends was just great.

The lighting strikes were something else and one hit a little too close for comfort. It will be interesting to see some of it on video.

Hooking all the fish today was the most I have seen in a long time and the day ranks right up there for being one of the most enjoyable bar fishing days ever.

Well, the one with Rodney and the girls from last week has to rank up there too.  ;D

We have to be so thankful to this board as I have meet so many super people through it and the time today just flew by as it does when in the company of good fishing partners.

Bar fishing has to be one of the most relaxing methods of fishing going where you have plenty of time to visit, sleep and catch fish as we did today.

Tomorrow it starts all over again in less than 7 hours. I can hardly wait as CEJ and his young son Shayle will make his first bar fishing trip ever.

Do you think he will be hooked for life? I sort of think so. ;D ;D

O yes, just had a late supper or could you class it as breakfast of a chinook fillet, wow. ;D

Thanks for the good time today guys, precious memories for all of us I am sure.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2004, 12:14:47 AM by chris gadsden »

Hiker

• I'm a good llama!
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2004, 01:33:07 AM »

Chris I think very soon you will have your yearly quota of adult Chinook :) - but there are plenty of other salmon to catch. Congrats on a very good fishing day.

Sorry for your loss of a family member.

Rodney, I wouldn't be sorry for going to Banf. It is a beautifull place. I do not know what you guys did, but that is one of my favorite areas for hiking. If you ever head out in that direction again, and looking for a good hike, try Mt Robson (bc provincial park about 70km before Jasper going from Vancouver). Gorgeous place (one of the most beautifull hikes) but 20km hike one way.

Tight Lines

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2004, 04:42:46 AM »

Chris I think very soon you will have your yearly quota of adult Chinook :) - but there are plenty of other salmon to catch. Congrats on a very good fishing day.

Yes with only 2 chinook spaces left will be time to try other places. That is the advantage of living here in Chilliwack so many diffrent species of fish to fish for. ;D When and if the sockeye open will try to short float them at the mouth of the Sumas River using small bugs. However I hear there is going to be some area's closed for fishing up towards Grassy when the endagered Cultus Lake sockeye are in the system so may not be able to.
When they used to open sockeye in the Harrison we got them on bugs or krill. It took a bit of fishing effort but they would bite. Very good sport.

On the way to another fishing adventure on the Fraser now with CEJ.

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2004, 06:16:04 AM »

man you guys are having way too much fun ;D

CAPTAIN BONK

• Old Timer
  • THERE'S NO HEAD BETTER THEN STEELHEAD !
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2004, 12:16:16 PM »

GOD DAMMIT HAVEN'T EVEN BEEN OUT ONCE THIS SEASON  >:(

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2004, 05:14:29 PM »

Aegh.... Can't believe I went to Banff instead with the girls... >:(

Rodney: Nothing wrong with going to Banff with the girls. Would you rather gut some smelly old fish ?  :D

Terry Bodman

• Old Timer
  • A poorly tied fly is better than no fly at all!
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2004, 10:25:18 PM »

So I go to Reno and play poker, lose my shirt, get a headache and all you guys and gals have fun. Isn't fair.  ;D
"One man of courage makes a majority"