Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: sox on the fraser aug 18th  (Read 4451 times)

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
sox on the fraser aug 18th
« on: August 18, 2006, 06:06:24 PM »

Well myself , coho cody, and silver bullet made our way to the fraser early this morning, Fishing seemed to be good early on then died off,Silver Bullet was the first to  land one, it inhailed his red corkie ;) Within the first 2 hours we had 4 socks to the beach and I had my limit, and lost many more, it took an other 2.5 hours to get two more socks.  At around 10:30 a fellow came walking down saying he had a spring on and landed the fish right in front of us, it loooked to be about 15-16 pounds, He quickly gilled it and bonked it on the head, Then coho cody says "thats a steelhead buddy" , the fellow was sure it was a spring, However it indeed was a chrome wild steelhead, the tail base was so thick I could not get my hand around it and it had a beautiful light pink line. Now the only problem is the man just killed a wild steelhead, He then took off and dropped the fish 80 feet back where no one could see ??? ??? ??? ??? pictures to follow
weeeeeeeeeow!

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
Re: sox on the fraser aug 18th
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 06:17:52 PM »

what an idiot to kill a steelhead. it was a doe, around 15lb.s, probably a thompson summer-run. i said imeediatley to the guy, "its a steelhead buddy". but no, he insisted it was a spring, and it went back and forth between us, its a spring, no its a steelie, its a SPRING!, no....ITS A FREAKING STEELHEAD! >:(then all three in our group said it was a steelhead and the guy was just shocked. it had a greenish head, massive square-tail, very light pink lateral line, steelhead spots, AND BLINDING CHROME.

lesson here: get to know your fish, check that it is keepable, and listen to your fellow anglers. just cause it was 2 kids telling him, doesn't mean we dont know our fish ;) :P

ALLS I CAN SAY IS WHOEVER YOU ARE, YOU BETTER BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF >:( >:( >:(

Coho Cody ;)

fishinfrenzy

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 07:38:48 PM »

Retard. >:(

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 07:58:39 PM »

That sucks, Yesterday a chum was caught and released, the poor thing had 2 seal bites and net marks all over it.
The Bigger The Better!

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 08:16:26 PM »

The chums that are starting to show up now are heading for the Coquilhalla river. They should be released as that run is a small one and is
easily affected.
It ain't the roe bro'

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 08:21:09 PM »

That is a damn shame. >:(  I wish I had have been there!!  I am still interested in seeing the pics though.  Did you get any of the steely, and a pic of the guy perhaps? ???
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 08:23:32 PM »

Unfortunatly no pictures of the steelhead, THE GUY TOOK OFF ::)
weeeeeeeeeow!

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2006, 08:55:06 PM »

That's a darn shame. But here are some useful phone numbers to keep handy.  Dug them out of the Freshwater Fishing Regulations.  To report all Poachers and Polluters call 1-877-952-7277.  For all Salmon related violations call 1-800-465-4336.
The website for "Report All Poachers and Polluters" is rapp.bc.ca.  If you see someone commit an offence these are the numbers to call.

weizen

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2006, 10:01:25 PM »

That sucks.....

1.) Sucks that he kept the steelhead.
2.) Sucks that he was obviously too pridefull to listen to a couple of yound guys! (Who obviously know there fish!)

TRK,CC  How long have you guy's been fishing?

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2006, 10:07:17 PM »

ever since i was born  ;D, but i have been fishing steadily for probobly about 5-6 years now
weeeeeeeeeow!

weizen

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2006, 10:08:39 PM »

That's cool.  I've just started in the last few years, but wishing I had started alot earlier!  My kids will defenetly be learning alot earlier!  (Even if they are girls...but that don't matter much eh?  We need more females in the sport right ;) 

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2006, 10:12:20 PM »

forsure, ya fishing is a great sport, I hope to make it my job one day
weeeeeeeeeow!

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2006, 10:15:24 PM »

You have to stand your ground, before the fish is killed, point out the features that don't make it a spring, and tell him that you'll call the police if its not immediately released...

Don't worry that you're smaller, just start kicking up a fuss - get in his face and get loud - there's no way some man is going to beat up a young guy... I hope!

At least not a girl ;)

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

weizen

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2006, 11:07:51 PM »

I agree with Nicole.

Based upon the report by TRK, the fish was already dead when the species came into question.  At that point it's pretty much a mute argument. Either way he shouldn't have kept it, but if it was only pointed out to him after it was dead what's the guy to do?  UNLESS (And this is a big unless) he knew instantly it was a steelhead and bonked, gilled it before anyone would say anything, then claim he thought it was a spring ect, then he's just an A$$hole.

But good for the two of you for speaking up, let's hope nicole is right and they're not about to start beating up a young guy!

« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 11:25:27 PM by weizen »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2006, 11:24:40 PM »

Sad >:(