Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing the Campbell River (Freshwater)  (Read 6864 times)

mykiss

• Canadian Aquatics
Fishing the Campbell River (Freshwater)
« on: September 09, 2011, 12:05:14 PM »

I'm planning on heading to Campbell River for a few days for work and was planning on hitting the Campbell River (freshwater) for a couple hours each day. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to go or what to expect?  It's all new to me so I was just planning on going with my river gear and just go to it.

I still have to check the regulations for that river but if anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to share if you like. Thanks
Here fishy fishy......

www.canadianaquatics.com

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
Re: Fishing the Campbell River (Freshwater)
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 03:01:17 PM »

i was there a couple weeks ago and caught about 60-70 pinks and 2 summer steelies, jack spring, and a coho in the 3 days i was there. and lost another 50+ fish
i was flyfishing using a 6wt with floating line to a 10 foot leader (8 lb) with a strike indacator, couple small splitshots and my special small shrimp style fly.
my main spot was just above where the quinsam enters the campbell. Theres a small parking lot with hiking trails, park there and walk the trail on the right it takes you right own to a nice sandy beach with a big deep pool loaded with pinks. Keep in mind this spots catch an release ONLY.
Currently theres not as many pinks in right now as its getting late and there mostly coloure up by now. It might be worth fishing for the springs instead or the hoes as there starting to come in, in better numbers.
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

awurban@msn.com

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 05:04:11 PM »

hey, the campbell is a bit of gong show from the quinsaam down. There are pinks, chinook, and summer steelhead in the river. I suggest pulling over at the road down to the john heart damn and walk down to the island pool. read the regs for the fly only section of the river. If your fly fishing also remember the use of split shot is not allowed in the fly only sections. You will also find a lot less pressure above the bridge that crosses the quinsaam. You can also stop by riversportsman on the highway accross from the chevron gas station. If you want to get an idea of what the fishing looks like below the quinsaam pull over on the side of the road a bit after the roderick haig-brown house and walk over a logging road bridge on your right, you will see shoulder to shoulder anglers in the sandy pool. This is a good river though and You should enjoy your trip. good luck

Chrome Mykiss

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 05:28:28 PM »

Please read the regulations carefully regarding the Campbell river.

"From John Hart Dam Power Station to power line crossing approximately 200 m upstream of Quinsam River confluence: fly fishing only year-round and trout/char release Dec 1-May 31"

"Artificial fly only downstream of power line crossing located approx 200 m above Quinsam River confluence: both Dec 1-May 31"

Also please observe the closed area on the Campbell river in this fishery notice http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/fns/index.cfm?pg=view_notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=134325&ID=recreational

I would personally avoid the Campbell river this time of the year as it can be a real gongshow. There are many other great places to fish around Campbell River without the gongshow  :P
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 07:47:30 PM by Chrome Mykiss »

mykiss

• Canadian Aquatics
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 03:05:05 PM »

Thanks for your suggestions and tips everyone. I'll read the regs more and decide on what to do. I pretty much have only a couple hours a day to get my line wet and I wasn't planning on keeping anything anyways. I just wanted to go out and try to catch something. Thanks everyone!
Here fishy fishy......

www.canadianaquatics.com