Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Begginer center pin setup  (Read 17962 times)

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
Re: Begginer center pin setup
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2011, 09:01:37 PM »

The best thing about a centerpin is its a single action reel. I have played many fish on single action reels on the salt and their is nothing like it. Its just you and the fish. With a baitcaster the drag does all the work. I am not a meat fisherman so for me its all about the fight.
Meat fisherman...Ouch that hurt...I keep the reel on free spool when im playing a fish the only difference is im using my thumb instead of my palm for drag. ;D

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2011, 09:06:30 PM »

Meat fisherman...Ouch that hurt...I keep the reel on free spool when im playing a fish the only difference is im using my thumb instead of my palm for drag. ;D

I didnt mean for it to sound like everyone who uses a baitcaster is a meat fisherman. I dont eat fish with orange or red flesh as I dont like it. I like my white fleshed fish like halibut and cod as well as all shellfish. Salmon, trout etc all tastes to fishy to me no matter how it is cooked ( trust me I have tried every which way )

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2011, 10:15:23 PM »

The centerpin Love-in does get a bit tiring to read but what I find amusing is that it seems to bug guys like you that can't afford a centerpin so you go and post something negative when some young guy is getting exciting about trying something different. How about you take your own advice and save your money and try it for yourself. Don't read it if it bugs you!!

PS Are you related to DennisK?? :D
I dont think im related to DennisK LOL but iunno.

and for the calcutta I already a small levelwind (shimano cardif) and want to try a cp now as i am experienced with the levelwind and get lots of steelies and know my route and where they lie. And my dad has a small callcuta its not really my kind of reel, dont like how small it is and finds its a funny casting reel. Besides I release 99% of fish i catch, and the levelwinds kinda boring you dont feel the fish enough, and they suck for fishing jigs! Recently started tying them and want to try them but cp gives them the best action.

and im with bbronswyk2000  im not a fan of the taste of fish, not even smoked but i do like fish n chips :)

Hey and u guys have got a cp reel or rod or combo for sale for around $200 send me an email my emails on my profile, I would really like an islander but I dont think any of you will give it to me for the low price ;) :D
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 10:25:36 PM by steelie-slayer »
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

shortfloat

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2011, 11:45:29 PM »

x2   :D ;D :P

I have a custom built 3106lb and orginal milner sitting in my closet buddy, I can affford a center pin rod. But thanks for the jab. Ive fished it many for years and have decided that when I fish for steelhead that I want to opptimise my opportunity to catch a fish. Now since there is so much pressure on the rivers these days, a guy needs every advantage he can get .Imho.  I know lots of good fisherman who fish  with centerpins and they prefer that and that is fine. But I chuckle to myself when I see all these guys walking around looking the part but dont have a clue. taking up space.

shortfloat

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2011, 11:46:14 PM »

i quoted the wrong comment

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2011, 12:39:31 AM »

Hey and u guys have got a cp reel or rod or combo for sale for around $200 send me an email my emails on my profile, I would really like an islander but I dont think any of you will give it to me for the low price ;) :D
If you're very very lucky you might find a steelheader for close to $200 with wear and tear. But not a rod and reel combo for that much. Check eBay and craigslist. I picked one up in the fall and have only fished it a few times, still not entirely used to it. I used to fish an old silex and loved casting that busching reel opposed to the ball bearings. If I wasn't  afraid of destroying my silex I'd still be fishing it...
I suggest starting out with a trophy rod or Amundsen  to start and maybe you can find an old Avon royal.

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2011, 09:32:58 AM »

i went through this all when i asked questions.why do the "hot shots" have to run there mouths? steely-slayer your a young kid and its great to see that you have such a strong passion for the sport we all love so much. to be 15...16 in a few days  ;) and want to buy a centerpin. you got a good head on your shoulders... this is my first iron season with a pin and well i wish i had it for the salmon in the fall. i went with an islander steelhead and a streamside rod, a cheap rod but its does the trick,i have my eye on a few options. as time goes on you will upgrade and have a closet full of pins like all these well rounded vet's.
If you don't like the fish you're catching... change the bait!!

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2011, 02:55:25 PM »

wow chromekings you got some nice looking pin setups there  :)
and yeah i already have a big collections of rods, but just need that pin to get my collection how i would like  :)
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2011, 03:11:06 PM »

Steely Slayer, I got my first pin set up last year and you don't need to break the bank. I've got an Grice and Young Avon Supreme and it is perfect for fishing most lower mainland flows for Steel and Salmon. They are an old school reel, but they spin good, are very sturdy and you can pick one up for around $100, there are tons of good rods around that won't break the bank too, Shimano Convergence, Fewnwick HMX, Amundson and those Trophy XL pin rods are all great for the money. If you like it and I'm sure you will, you can retire that setup as a back up or just use it to hammer on the springs and chums and get something with a little more finesse for Coho and Steelhead when you get the money. Do I want a Sage, Loomis, Lamiglas and a Milner etc? Hell yes! Do I need them? Probably not.

bklem

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2011, 03:14:18 PM »

I have a custom built 3106lb and orginal milner sitting in my closet buddy, I can affford a center pin rod. But thanks for the jab. Ive fished it many for years and have decided that when I fish for steelhead that I want to opptimise my opportunity to catch a fish. Now since there is so much pressure on the rivers these days, a guy needs every advantage he can get .Imho.  I know lots of good fisherman who fish  with centerpins and they prefer that and that is fine. But I chuckle to myself when I see all these guys walking around looking the part but dont have a clue. taking up space.

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2011, 03:35:14 PM »

Steely Slayer, I got my first pin set up last year and you don't need to break the bank. I've got an Grice and Young Avon Supreme and it is perfect for fishing most lower mainland flows for Steel and Salmon. They are an old school reel, but they spin good, are very sturdy and you can pick one up for around $100, there are tons of good rods around that won't break the bank too, Shimano Convergence, Fewnwick HMX, Amundson and those Trophy XL pin rods are all great for the money. If you like it and I'm sure you will, you can retire that setup as a back up or just use it to hammer on the springs and chums and get something with a little more finesse for Coho and Steelhead when you get the money. Do I want a Sage, Loomis, Lamiglas and a Milner etc? Hell yes! Do I need them? Probably not.

thanks for the help

i have been looking at the trophy XL float rods on ebay the have some really good deals, but im not sure if i want a 13'6 or a 15' i currently have a 10'6 drift rod

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2011, 05:03:47 PM »

I would advise you stick with 10-6 for a starter.. 8#-17# rated min....13'-15',sounds more like a spey rod than a pin-rod
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2011, 06:13:47 PM »

thanks for the help

i have been looking at the trophy XL float rods on ebay the have some really good deals, but im not sure if i want a 13'6 or a 15' i currently have a 10'6 drift rod

No worries, I'd go with something 11 - 11'6, I've got a 10'6 and wish I had a bit of a longer rod on the Vedder so I didn't have to high stick as much to keep the line off the water.

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2011, 06:17:40 PM »

i prefer using my 3113lb or my 11'6 6/7wt pin rod, the extra length is nice, when the water is lower i use my 3106lb.

the only real advantage to using a levelwind is the ability to switch up to spoons or spinners.. but if i want to do that, i leave my float gear at home and just spoon fish. I can get pretty much the same amount of casts in as most levelwind guys with my pin and the drift and control is much nicer
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2011, 06:56:39 PM »

i prefer using my 3113lb or my 11'6 6/7wt pin rod, the extra length is nice, when the water is lower i use my 3106lb.

the only real advantage to using a levelwind is the ability to switch up to spoons or spinners.. but if i want to do that, i leave my float gear at home and just spoon fish. I can get pretty much the same amount of casts in as most levelwind guys with my pin and the drift and control is much nicer
when im fishing spoons or spinners usually ill just short float them in rivers. I find i loose to many spoons without floats :P