Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What is happening there?  (Read 14633 times)

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
Re: What is happening there?
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2008, 05:01:38 PM »

The best solution is to have COs over there taking pictures and giving fines for obvious violations. If the situation is that bad, it should be a good source of revenue for DFO and all the people who tend to keep a snagged fish will soon learn to stay off that place to save their $$$, right?  ;D  But like Rod says, stay away from stereotyping people for things unrelated to the regulation. My friend who is a top rod in my mind always carry coffee pot to enjoy his relax way of fishing. So he is in trouble too?  ???

jeff

« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2008, 05:12:29 PM »

I think the coffee grinder term if refering to the type of reel not actual coffee pots
Enjoying the water..........

Terry D

• Carp are sportfish too!!!
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2008, 05:24:20 PM »

I really like my coffee grinders.  I only have 10 of them.

screeminreel

« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2008, 07:26:45 PM »

Sorry, banny, didn't mean to make it look like you didn't know what you were doing when breaking a fish off.  I have never done it on purpose and a(ss)u(me)d that the way i described it was the way you do it. 
Don't hate me, please, just remember the dive into the vedder I did to help you with that chum...my jacket still isn't 100% dry.  Good thing you didn't have your camera out. ::)

thanks for the input, guys.

Bryan

buck

« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2008, 09:08:18 PM »

People wonder why the " limits hole " has been closed. Perfect example of what is happening upriver.

buck

« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2008, 09:30:13 PM »

Ghost Fish
You are correct about the techniques used to catch these fish. The problem is that we as responsible anglers are now the minority and have been totally overrun by unethical anglers.
Some are just inexperienced but there are a lot of anglers who know the score and are working the system so to speak.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2008, 09:33:55 PM »

The location is the problem in most cases, just as much as the fishign practices! These people are targetting narrow, HOLDING HOLES, that the fish have no choice but to travel through. It is a fish trap and something should be done about it. Good thing with all those holes the river will change big time with the fall blowout.

Buck....
I have also noticed recently that even some of the best float fishers are even resorting to snagging. I can never figure out why because they always seem to get fish the right way, but I guess they get more the wrong way  ???  I always get the feeling that as soon as I beak someone they will throw on a float and outfish me anyways  ::) In most cases I just walk away to a spot where I am by myself, even if it means walking a long ways.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2008, 09:45:29 PM »

Lol deep, narrow holding water that also gets pounded by you and a few other guys quite often  ;D At least we give the fish a chance... Unlike those guys I saw in there one night  :'(  Havn't seen too many guys snagging there this year though, just a few  :-\

postiemike

« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2008, 12:07:47 PM »

Hi there guys
I would like to introduce myself as a total first timer on the vedder / chilliwack river system. last year after chasing the Atlantic Salmon all around Ireland, Scotland and the whole of England ( dont forget that Wales is a principality) I and two of my friends came to BC for five days fishing on the Harrison /Fraser system.
The Sunday we arrived was a learning curve. We as tourists watched the removal of large fish in quantity!!!!
from a row of boulders and taken to camper vans ( limit hole ?)
Do you realize what you have.
Pristine Fishing fabulous rivers and and a hatchery that is keeping the stocks of your fish at a level that we can only dream about and people who care! for the environment!!!!
I see posts about snagging beaching on stones etc.
what about the nets which i watched being pulled around by power boats and then pulled by pickup???
10 fish snagged 1000 netted??? on the Fraser? for cat food?
Please guys don't loose sight of what you have.
you all have the river at heart which is why I will fly 13 hours (even after zoom went bust)
to join you.
even if the Atlantic Salmon is so endangered we still fish with barbed hooks,
after visiting the hatchery I think a few wedder fishermen do!!
Coffee Grinders? don't have a clutch on a fly reel???
Mike
and i hope you realize what you have

alamis99

« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2008, 07:06:37 PM »

but, don`t u guys agree this, 80% of fish been caught on vedder is~~~~~~> by `flossing`

jeff

« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2008, 07:55:24 PM »

I hope not 80% that would be a lot and i am happy to say on Monday i was out after work saw these guys who i have seen a few times before running long leaders 8 feet  or so floats on but the distance from float to weight was about 15 feet after watching them for about an hour and they were snagging fish like crazy but they couldn't get one in the mouth so they kept throwing them back and i really mean throwing them back but anyways they finally gave and went to leave so i moved into there spot made a cast found bottom dropped my float about 2 feet so i knew that i would not touch bottom again made two more cast on the second cast float went down knowing it wasn't bottom i set the hook the fight was on and i was rewarded with a nice clean 20 pounder i was happy to move in on those guys as they left and catch one fairly

cohoking

« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2008, 10:20:10 PM »

20 pounder!!! Nice Fish. Maybe I will check out the spot. I heard they hired some more DFO officers. More fines will hurt in the long run....and maybe keep the car thiefs away from breaking into the vehicles. cohoking

jeff

« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2008, 09:54:41 AM »

Never thought about the fact that more co's could keep the cars safe as well that would be nice my truck has not been hit yet fingers crossed but i hvae heard stories and seen the broken glass

celt

« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2008, 04:38:31 PM »

I am a visiting angler from Wales (so don't pay too much attention to this post), I will be visiting the Chilliwack area once again for a couple of week’s fishing holiday from next weekend. I really don’t believe that you boys realise how lucky you really are over here, you have fishing to die for. My primary fishing back in Wales is for Atlantic salmon and sewin (seatrout), the fishing is good however it is nothing compared to what you have over here, hence the reason I and a few of my friends pay all that money to come over here.
The first time I visited Chilliwack I was somewhat surprised to say the least to see what I would describe as combat fishing, I had never ever before in my life witnessed so many anglers fishing in such close proximity, this was totally alien to me.
During my last visit to Chilliwack and on the days that we fished the Vedder we fly fished and purposefully evaded the more popular areas for the less attractive areas. We fished sections of the river that no one else cared for however we did extremely well catching many salmon, we had a fantastic time.
During our last visit we did witness many foul hooking of fish, some of which were tapped on the head. We said nothing at the time as we were visiting anglers and did not wish to antagonise people.
My only wish is that you really realise how fortunate you are over here and do all that you can to protect it for the future.   

CohoKiller5

Spent some time at cable run at vedder canal. HORRIFIC!
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2008, 08:51:36 PM »

While out and about last sunday doing some fishing and giving a bit of a hand cleaning up the river to do my part i decided to stop by the cable run (just down from main vedder crossing bridge) and see if i could score some chum/spring roe for my future coho trips.

I was there for aprox 30 minutes and was horrified to watch 3 fishermen foul hook there fish, which clearly jumped out of the water with the line and wool clad hook attached to the belly/tail of the fish right in front of me (i was standing on the concrete right by the ladder.  THey proceded to walk the fish down the rapids a bit away from the crowd of hulliagans/beaks and retained the foul hooked fish.  This pisses me off.  I asked one of the "fishermen" who commited the crime why he kept the foul hooked fish and he responded with "The line was wrapped around the fish" as he walked by me and of course could not look me in the eye. 

I then witnessed the same exact thing twice within a 20 minute period after this.

Not impressed at all.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 06:01:29 AM by CohoKiller5 »