Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ethics of Fishing on a Body of Water Under Preservation.  (Read 7978 times)

marmot

• Old Timer
Re: Ethics of Fishing on a Body of Water Under Preservation.
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2008, 02:33:00 PM »

Hey Rodney, sorry if I misinterpreted....the expression just means "be nice", basically. 

Any debate surrounding ethics is bound to get a little heated.  Maybe it doesn't need discussing anyways.  Lets face it, people aren't going to change their actions or at the very least second guess their behavior just because they learn that a large number of people find their actions unethical...right?

Canso, I think you and I would both blow a gasket if cutthroat estuary fishing got like pegleg.  If we're talking ethics here, as is the topic, there is an argument commonly known as the "slippery slope" argument....that is , if you follow something to its logical conclusion you will find the answer to your "dilemma".  So, following your argument to its logical conclusion, meaning "if everybody did what you are saying is ethically ok" then we would indeed have a problem.  Again, this is not about legality, its about ethics.  Mutually exclusive.  In that regard it is not unlike littering, one little piece of garbage strewn in the river is unlikely to cause a problem.  But if we all did it....     Of course, arguments like this are often countered by saying that it's absurd to think that "everyone" is going to start fishing estuaries for cutthroat....but I would argue that it is premature to say that.  What makes pegleg fundamentally different from your favorite estuary?  If sockeye fishing, and much of the salmon fishing that we take for granted disappears, what will be left? Trout, for one....Maybe it is not such a long shot to see those estuaries getting more crowded in the near future.  I hope it is, but maybe it isn't.  What do you think?

Walter Q

« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2008, 04:59:57 AM »

^^^^^ As far as I know,,,,dumping any amount of garbage is "illegal" and I am scratching my head on the comparison with ethics?????   My point being on this topic is that if it is "legal" and you,,, personally, don't think it should be,,,,,try to get it changed.  After that, you can get on the soap box and "inform" people of why they should change their thoughts to what you believe on the topic of "ethics".  That in itself, would be one hell of a job, if you know people and human nature at all. Good Luck.

mykisscrazy

« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2008, 08:21:02 AM »

So exactly how many of you fish the Chilliwack or the Allouette?...They both have closed sections on them...I guess that means we really shouldn't fish any part of them according to quite of few of the posted reply's here. Quite a few of you really need to give your head a shake

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2008, 09:30:43 AM »

^^^^^ As far as I know,,,,dumping any amount of garbage is "illegal" and I am scratching my head on the comparison with ethics?????   My point being on this topic is that if it is "legal" and you,,, personally, don't think it should be,,,,,try to get it changed.  After that, you can get on the soap box and "inform" people of why they should change their thoughts to what you believe on the topic of "ethics".  That in itself, would be one hell of a job, if you know people and human nature at all. Good Luck.

You don't understand the argument I'm making.  I'm merely using littering as a clear example of the "slippery slope" argument because it is something we have all seen.  Doesn't matter in this context if it's legal/illegal. It could be legal to litter and would still be a valid argument.  Hope that clarifies. 

It's not up to any one person to tell people what is ethically right or wrong, I'm ONLY saying that it would be a great thing if people showed some form of ethical thinking while out fishing rather than just leaving it up to the law to dictate to them what is ok and not ok. 
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 09:49:29 AM by marmot »

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2008, 09:33:41 AM »

So exactly how many of you fish the Chilliwack or the Allouette?...They both have closed sections on them...I guess that means we really shouldn't fish any part of them according to quite of few of the posted reply's here. Quite a few of you really need to give your head a shake

I'm advocating a common sense approach to ethics, where somebody makes a decision based on common sense and respect rather than a decision based on legality alone.  I'm not saying "don't fish anything, ever, that has any part of it closed".  Nobody here has said that.
I'm not going to say anything else on it, I'm starting to feel like a broken record.  If you get it, you get it.  If you don't, I don't think there is anything else I can say to get you to understand the point I'm trying to make.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 09:49:46 AM by marmot »

Walter Q

« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2008, 05:41:33 PM »

^^^^^ You are forgetting one thing  here. Each of OUR "ethics" changes with OUR experience's. YOUR experience's have dictated on how/where/why you fish the way YOU do ,,,,,,,today. In the same breath, tomorrow your "ethics' may change, even ever so slightly.

Again,,,if YOU want changes in people's attitudes, "ethics", etc, YOU must go about it in a different way other than how you are going about it here. You will not get anywhere with the "holier than thou" attitude that I witness with some that can afford all the toys, gear, etc and then assume they have "become" a fisherman. It's a learning curve for all of us, and there are ways to "increase" that curve without alienating people along the way. It is an art and a skill few understand until it is usually too late.