Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Minister attacks B.C. anti-seal protesters  (Read 4259 times)

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Minister attacks B.C. anti-seal protesters
« on: March 05, 2007, 07:29:29 PM »

This guy sure pics his battles. Personelly I think seal should be open season, every season.

Hearn accuses group of despicable behaviour for planning anti-seal rally using kids as 'props'

Peter O'Neil
Vancouver Sun; with files from CanWest News Service

Monday, March 05, 2007

CREDIT: Canadian Press Files
Fisheries Minister Loyola Hearn has lashed out at tactics proposed for a protest.

OTTAWA -- Fisheries Minister Loyola Hearn is accusing a Vancouver group of despicable, immoral and exploitive behaviour for planning an anti-seal hunt protest for later this month using children as "props" to attract media attention.

"Please get the day off work/school," urges the notice from a group called Liberation B.C., which included in its e-mail notice the website link for the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS).

Protesters, urged to wear black, are asked to meet at the Vancouver Art Gallery on March 15. They are to walk single-file, carrying black coffins, to the federal Department of Fisheries and Oceans headquarters on Burrard Street. "We need children dressed in black to lay flowers on the coffins in front of the DFO.

"It will draw a lot of media attention if we can get the children," urges the notice, which was posted on the Discover Vancouver website.

Hearn's office sent out an e-mail to the media Friday with the subject line: "HSUS Resort to Using Children as Props to Attract Media Interest."

Hearn, whose government is in a tough battle in the U.S. and Europe against campaigns to boycott seal product imports, said the tactics go too far.

"To me it's utterly despicable and shows they have absolutely no morals when they stoop that low," he told The Vancouver Sun.

"It's sick. Exploiting children and involving innocent children in something like this is completely and utterly shameful."

Hearn, a Newfoundland MP, said the "supposedly Canadian" protesters are against a "legitimate, sustainable, humane hunt."

Rebecca Aldworth, the Montreal-based Canadian spokeswoman for HSUS, said her organization has led the global initiative to declare March 15 an "international day of action" against the hunt. She said she can't comment on Liberation B.C.'s tactics because "this is not our event," but added that it's Hearn who should feel shame. "I would argue that Canada's seal hunt is the slaughter of baby seals."

Joanne Chang, who said she runs Liberation B.C. by herself and has an e-mail network of about 800 people, said she has never had any contact with HSUS. She put the Washington, D.C.-based lobby group's website address on her e-mail notice because "everybody knows them."

Chang, 32, an administration employee with a Vancouver company, said it's legitimate to urge children to get involved. "They see these images [of seals being harvested], they just have nightmares and they want to do something about it."

Meanwhile, in Quebec, filmmaker Raoul Jomphe said animal rights activists are outraged they were caught on tape ignoring a dying seal for more than an hour and then were featured in a documentary. He said the activists were filming a promotional segment for a fundraising campaign when the incident occurred.

Jomphe said Canadian HSUS director Aldworth called him to complain, after she discovered he had captured the incident on film. "She was really mad at me," said Jomphe. Phoques, le film (Seals, the movie) is scheduled to air later this month on the CBC's French-language all-news network, RDI, and local Atlantic Radio-Canada stations.

poneil1@hotmail.com

© The Vancouver Sun 2007
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Lumps

Re: Minister attacks B.C. anti-seal protesters
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 07:38:33 PM »

I agree, I heard that they can eat 3 times their weight in salmon a day, is this true?
Best 4 wheel drive I ever had was a company 2 wheel drive.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 07:46:17 PM »

Probably, the seal is a very cruel animal. I know it's wrong to hate, but I have almost been killed by seals a few times.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Lumps

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 07:52:46 PM »

Down here when your out going for tuna or what ever, if the captain spots a seal the old AK comes out and they get a quick burst. You hear it all the time. I have no problem with it at all. I'm all about the environment, but when you protect some predators they grow quickly and become a problem because they really have no enemies.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 08:03:42 PM »

I have even seen them swimming up the veddar during steelhead season. That was a few years ago and have not herd of any since. Fished with one on the stave a week ago and this thing was pretty big in fact there was a pair of them in the stave in the fall.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

CAPTAIN BONK

• Old Timer
  • THERE'S NO HEAD BETTER THEN STEELHEAD !
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 08:40:52 PM »

This guy sure pics his battles. Personelly I think seal should be open season, every season.

^ I AGREE

WHEN I WAS FISHING THE MOUTH OFACERTAINRIVER THIS FALL FOR SPRINGS, THESE BASTARDS WHERE EVERY WHERE CHOMPING AWAY ! THERE WAS 5 OF THESE FAT PIGS ABOUT 10 FEET AWAY FROM US JUST FEASTING !

Lumps

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 08:55:32 PM »

A good seal is a dead seal.

FISHIN MAGICIAN

• Shut up an' Fish
    • Ocean Adventure Center
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 09:00:16 PM »

I agree, I heard that they can eat 3 times their weight in salmon a day, is this true?

Seals are pigs. They oftentimes don't even eat the fish they catch entirely.

I've personally had them get on a fish a minute after they get on, then the SAME seal gets on another fish 5 minutes later and takes that one too.

There currently is no population check on Harbour Seals in large areas on the coast---and in Vancouver...there's only one legitimate population check---the ones that aren't fast enough to get out of the way of a fast moving boat and it's propeller.

"You go in the cage--The cage goes in the water- - Shark's in the water--Our shark-Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish ladies, Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish Ladies at Sea.." -Quint

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2007, 09:10:10 PM »

Seals are pigs. They oftentimes don't even eat the fish they catch entirely.

True, I've seen half eaten pinks at low tide at the mouth of the Seymour River.

Derp

• Tight lines!
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2007, 09:27:34 PM »

i've seen half eaten seals after i was done with them,...at low tide
In the summertime when the weather is hot
You can stretch right up and touch the sky
When the weather's fine
You got women, you got women on your mind
Have a drink, have a drive
Go out and see what you can find

Lumps

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2007, 10:45:44 AM »

Look what happened with the eastern fishery when they put the ban on the seal hunt. The whole cod industry collapsed because the seals where out of control. This is not the only reason in collapsed but a big part. I think the only natural enemy they have is the Killer whale, and you don't see any of those at the mouth of the Fraser or up the Pitt.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2007, 11:55:24 AM »

The whole cod industry collapsed because the seals where out of control. This is not the only reason in collapsed but a big part.

::)

Derp

• Tight lines!
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2007, 01:40:08 PM »

Those seals were out of control! maan
In the summertime when the weather is hot
You can stretch right up and touch the sky
When the weather's fine
You got women, you got women on your mind
Have a drink, have a drive
Go out and see what you can find

*Lil Fisherman*

• Old Timer
  • I.AM proud to be a canadian fisherman!!
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2007, 09:47:21 PM »

Seals have become extremely "picky"! I know from close experience, in Sooke, B.C.
After a long day of trolling and if one is ever lucky enough to hook a couple springs or salmon for that matter, one usually ends up thrwoing away the backbone and entrails. I have found that I will only throw the guts becuase the backbone and head are perfect bait for the crab trap. When people out there finally starte to catch on that salmon was the best bait, most stopped throwing it away; however, the select few that do still give the seals a treat have changed most marina seals diet from everything to only heads and backbones.
Its gotten quite bad that they wont even take the cod anymore becuase most of the mammals just assume that they can just wait for a couple spring heads to come along.

I know quite a few people out there who decide to go out every winter and "cap" as many as they can.
Seals alone end up costing myself atleast 150$ every year in gear becuase all they do all day is wait for someone to tire out a fish and have it laying on its side like a floating brick of silver just waiting to be snatched.
It also gets dangerous. They also wait to hear the "zing" and "rip" of either the M 1's or any kind of mooching real with that specific crank. No adays people just turn the tournement style off.
Anyways, I have to get up in the morning to LEEEAAARRRRNNNNN!!!! :D :D :D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2007, 10:14:50 PM »

Look what happened with the eastern fishery when they put the ban on the seal hunt. The whole cod industry collapsed because the seals where out of control. This is not the only reason in collapsed but a big part. I think the only natural enemy they have is the Killer whale, and you don't see any of those at the mouth of the Fraser or up the Pitt.

The main reason why for the cod fishery collapsed is overfishing.