Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to make homemade fly box?  (Read 12795 times)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
How to make homemade fly box?
« on: May 29, 2013, 08:26:42 PM »

I have about 5-6 of those crappy Planto fly boxes with the white foam insert. Some have the snappy thing broken off so the box won't latch shut. On others the foam has been poked so many times it's getting pretty trashed and is flaking off. Anyway, I'm tierd of having all these small fly boxes. Since I pretty much only trout fly fish from a boat, I'm looking at making one BIG fly case.

Here's a real beauty I found on Craig's list. Unfortunately, I'm not looking to spend that much, and plus it is just way too nice I could never bring something like that on a boat and have it get banged around.

http://abbotsford.en.craigslist.ca/for/3833314944.html

I'd like to make something like this, only the cheap version! I looked around Canadian Tire the other day but couldn't find much that would work.

I'd like to find something like about brief case size, maybe a bit smaller. I'm not looking to MAKE it out of wood, rather just buy something about that size. From there I just need to find some suitable foam, cut it to size, and glue it in. It dosen't need to be super fancy.

Has any one made a Mickey-Mouse onelike this? Any suggestions?

whereismyfloat

Re: How to make homemade fly box?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 08:54:41 PM »

pick one up from searun. they have replacement foam for when it wears out

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 11:19:06 PM »

Thanks, but I imagine it would be  alot cheaper to just make one. I'll still use the small boxes when I fly fish on the river. But for lakes I'd prefer to just have one big one than several small crammed full ones.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 11:32:26 AM »

Made myself a fly box the other day. It turned out great! I went to Michael's in Abby. Looked and looked for a box/case that would work. No luck. Then I found these "arts kits" that come in a perfect wooden box. They come full of crayons, felts, paints, etc. I just took them out and ripped out the plastic mold that organised them. I then cut some foam sheets to size (from same store) and glued them in with contact cement.

The result is a nice big fly box for lake fishing that replaced the 6-7 smaller boxes I had all my flys crammed in. Each side of the box is about 16 inches x 12 inches. Tons of room.

Also should mention that if you bring up Michael's webiste on your phone or home PC you can get a coupon for 40% off one item. I used this for the box. The foam was about 5 bucks. So for around 20 bucks I have a nice wooden fly box that holds all my flies.

Also at Michale's they had a LOT of interesting supplies that could be used for fly tying. For example, glass beads. The exact same ones I get from the fly shop they have there, only in about 25 different colors. At fly shop only red or orange.

I got a few interesting colors to try out such as maroon and metallic brown. May not catch more fish but they're interesting to tie up and look at. I tied up a few ruby eyed leeches with the maroon bead that look pretty wicked.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 12:23:34 PM »

Glad that you finally discovered Michaels the fly shop, I mean craft store. I buy all sorts of things from there for fly tying. I do like what you have done to make a wooden fly box.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

GILLY

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 04:04:06 PM »

Can you please post a picture of the final product? What

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 06:54:51 PM »

No problem. But for some reason I've never been able to get attached pics to work here.
Can someone tell me how they do it? Don't know what I'm doing wrong but the pics just dob't show up if I try to attach them.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 08:14:10 AM »

1 - go to www.photobucket.com and create an account
2 - upload your picture from your pc, if you take pics from your phone they also have an app
3 - click on picture and then on the right side copy the IMG code
4 - paste IMG code into your post here on FWR
5 - Voila !!!  ;)
Check out our new blog

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2013, 09:18:09 PM »

Thanks Hook. I figure there must be some way to upload photos without the use of photobucket, but since I can't seem to figure it out, I'll give it a shot.

We're heading to Roche Lake first thing Tuesday morning, but I'll try to get some pics up ASAP.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2013, 10:09:32 PM »

As far as I know you have to use a photo website in order to directly add in the picture otherwise you have to provide a web link to wherever you have the pic(s) stored. The latter is not a good idea because it allows access into your personal space so to speak.

remember to copy the IMG code not the URL. along the right hand side after you enlarge the picture you will see 4 separate lines of code. the IMG is the very bottom one, you just click on it once and it copies it then just come to your post here and paste it in

Cant wait to see how your box turned out
Check out our new blog

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 10:08:45 PM »

Alright here we go...I hope this works! :o First go to Michael's and look for an art set in a wooden box. It's something pretty close to this.

http://canada.michaels.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-MichaelsCanada-Site/default/Product-Show?pid=C_kd1533

The reg price was $30 I think. However if you go on your smart phone in the store, or print off the coupon at home, you can get a promo for 40% off one item. I used that for the box so it was a bit under $20 including tax.

Next you need some foam. I also bought this from Michael's. You need the closed cell foam like in a regualr fly box. Styrofoam will flake off and not work. Michael's had two kinds of foam sheets. One came in a variety of colors but was very thin, maybe 2mm. I got the thiker stuff, maybe 3-4mm. I bought 3 sheets and had enough foam.

Next rip out the plastic inserts that hold all the felts, crayons, etc. There will be some glue left on the wood. I used a razor window scraper to get it off. A chisel or similar tool would work well too, just be careful as the wood is pretty thin!

Last step is to measure and cut carefully. I used a square and lino knife to get nice straight cuts. I used contact cement to glue the foam in place. The dimensions of each side of the box are 14inches x 9inches. Each side can easily hold 50 flies. Well over 100 per side if they're small flies like chronomids, etc. It's nice to have all my flies in one box instead of crammed into 6 or so small fly boxes. The box is not super tough. It is best suited for boat fishing where it will be stored away when not in use.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 10:22:40 PM by Spawn Sack »

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2013, 10:20:09 PM »

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2013, 04:32:20 PM »

pretty creative and its looks just like ones you can buy. Good job !!

I have this slotted fly box except I needed more space so I took foam, cut slots in it and glued in strips and almost doubled the boxes capacity. Its my chironie box and is 95% full, I leave empty spaces between sizes for my fingers to get in there

http://buy.scientificanglers.com/fly-boxes/classic-280.html

basically I made my box look like this but with way more capacity

http://buy.scientificanglers.com/fly-boxes/scientific-anglers-tm-waterproof-fly-boxes-compact-nymph-270-fly-box-small-red-new.html

fly fisherman are an innovative bunch LoL
Check out our new blog

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2013, 07:31:54 PM »

Thanks! :) Although it's a bit mickey-mouse it looks decent and functions well. On Craig's List there is a guy in Abby if I remember correctly who make beauitiful homemade ones, but they're 100 bucks. This one cost me about 23-25 bucks. Plus I don't feel bad if it gets a ding here or there on the boat. The other one is a bit too nice to be dinged up on a boat IMO.

I really like having all my lake flies in one box. Before I had 6 or so and it was a real pain flipping through them all, and the flies were crammed in pretty good.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2013, 08:59:34 PM »

Oh I know what you mean. I have 2 chironie boxes and then a huge box with leeches, damsels, dragons and various other things. I would have more boxes but honestly im a big time chironie guy. I have all my stuff for in the boat in a tote so at least I only have one place to look for things. You say you had your boxes crammed, try having a slotted box full of tiny chironies. I have lost my fair share when the one next to the one im getting out also falls out  >:(  this is why I started to leave a one slot space between sizes or patterns. Which turned into needing another box which turned into having to fill that box also  ::)

HOOK - would only 1 large wooden box fit my needs ???
Check out our new blog