Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing License - Electronic Form  (Read 4278 times)

Kevgor

Fishing License - Electronic Form
« on: October 07, 2012, 01:05:56 PM »

If I keep an image of my signed freshwater fishing license on my (smart) phone, and I am approached by a CO, is it sufficient to show the electronic copy, or do I need a hard copy? I realize the issue about recording steelhead and springs on the paper form complicates this matter, but if I am not targetting those species, would it suffice?

These paper licenses get wet and mushy pretty quick...

Also I have questions about the reasons for recording catches at all - If at the end of the year I have caught some springs, steelhead etc., am I supposed to turn the license (with it's record) in to someone? Or is it just for on-the-spot inspection.

Kevgor
Kevgor -

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Re: Fishing License - Electronic Form
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 01:31:31 PM »

Your license needs to be signed......  so unless you can get your electronic signature on the smart phone it wouldn't be valid.

If your paper license is getting wet and mushy you should store it where you store your smart phone.  :D
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 01:33:08 PM by alwaysfishn »
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Kevgor

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 01:40:40 PM »

Yeah, I print the PDF from the bc govt signup site where I purchased it, then I sign it, scan it back to electronic form (almost every printer has a scanner now) and email it to myself. Then I always have it in my inbox of my phone.

Point taken about storing it with my phone  :)

Kevgor
Kevgor -

work2fish

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 02:18:46 PM »

If I keep an image of my signed freshwater fishing license on my (smart) phone, and I am approached by a CO, is it sufficient to show the electronic copy, or do I need a hard copy? I realize the issue about recording steelhead and springs on the paper form complicates this matter, but if I am not targetting those species, would it suffice?

These paper licenses get wet and mushy pretty quick...

Also I have questions about the reasons for recording catches at all - If at the end of the year I have caught some springs, steelhead etc., am I supposed to turn the license (with it's record) in to someone? Or is it just for on-the-spot inspection.

Kevgor

Good question on the electriconic copy, though, just print it half size and slip it in your wallet, since you need ID anyway, and I'm sure you're keeping it dry. 

The recording is to keep you honest, no one to turn it into, and yes you could be dis-honest and just print a new one when you fill your license. It's more so if you do retain a spring or steelhead and get checked, you have filled in your catch. I have seen people get ticketed for not filling in thier catch even though they've stopped fishing and were on thier way to thier vehicle, since it's supposed to be filled in immediately.

I guess it helps more with inforcement when dealing with a group, eg - who's fish is it, who's filled in the license, and removes some questions, as in some circumstances you're supposed to stop fishing when you retain your fish. 

Technically if you get checked by the same CO and he notes 4 written on your license and checks you at a latter date and sees you now have 0 on your license, you could end up in trouble, but considering I haven't seen a CO in years, the odds are low of that happening.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 04:33:48 PM »

I print extra copies. Keep a copy in my vest, car and wallet. If I forget my wallet (happened to me twice this year) I can still legally fish because I have an extra copy in my vest

52buick

• These pretzels are making me thirsty!!
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 06:04:51 PM »

My understanding is that you have to have a signed paper copy, can't be laminated and has to be full size. I think there was a thread on this (might have been on another site). Anyways, it is easy enough to fold up and stick it in your wallet or put it in a ziplock baggie and stick it in the pocket of your waders or jacket.   

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 08:29:33 PM »

Good question on the electriconic copy, though, just print it half size and slip it in your wallet, since you need ID anyway, and I'm sure you're keeping it dry. 

You must have it full size which is 8.5"x11"

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

work2fish

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 08:46:53 PM »

You must have it full size which is 8.5"x11"
I was checked 2 years ago  at the cap, and the CO thought it was fine...said good idea, takes up less paper, but could be things have changed.

Electroman

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 03:12:41 PM »

I just fold mine up and toss it in a ziplock with my DL and bank card. I also toss in my remote starter for my truck.  Small and weather proof.