Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Alex Fraser archaeological dig - the goods on no access to the area  (Read 1382 times)

Taboo

Hi Everyone,

I live just up the hill from Alex Fraser and have witnessed the preparation for the new truck highway along River Road and assumed it was the reason for all the fences along the Fraser from the Sawmill and Eastward toward the Cannery.  Well I decided to take a walk down and scout it out as access to the river there would mean I could fish 3 mins from where I live.  I ended up meeting a pleasant enough Security Guard who told me that there is a significant archaeological dig underway, hence why all public access is being blocked.  Some details of the dig were published back in May in the local rag: http://www.delta-optimist.com/Tsawwassen+First+Nation+SFPR+lawsuit/4853682/story.html.

What I found most interesting is that the carte blanche "no access" is geared toward keeping grave robbers away rather than fishermen.  From what I gather, there have been a number of local competing native factions that are trespassing on the land and trying to identify where current digs are taking place with an eye to return under the cloak of darkness and make off with treasures from the past.  Sounds like they have actually brought in dogs by the Cannery to deter thieves and in recent days doubled on the Security in and around the bridge.  Either way, don't make plans to go hunting Pinkies anywhere near this area! ;)

« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 08:27:36 AM by Taboo »

fisheries

Re: Alex Fraser archaeological dig - the goods on no access to the area
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 03:32:07 PM »

I used to find old Indian Beads on the beach in that Area.  Also I remember when I was a kid they had the area past the Cannery taped off and were doing Archelogy digs on the beach.  Not sure what the big deal is 20 years later?  Not like this is a new discovery or anything.....

salmonlover

Re: Alex Fraser archaeological dig - the goods on no access to the area
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 05:06:30 PM »

i think it has to do with not building that truck route there. I was watching the news a couple months ago, and a lawyer said he wanted to stop them from disturbing an indian burial ground. It has to do with how the permits were done, no one took this burial ground into consideration. He went on to say any other burial ground they'd have to go through extensive lengths to build on them and still might not be able to. I guess he was more or less disgusted with how they tried to put this under the rug and move quickly on it so no one could act on it.