Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mini jack springs?  (Read 7648 times)

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
Re: Mini jack springs?
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2010, 09:31:56 AM »

They exist this year for whatever reason, but the real jacks are low in numbers WCVI.  ???

Stamp this fall:

Not alone in this system.

Wondering...
Nog

Looks almost like a pink/chinook hybrid or a pinook.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2010, 08:21:52 PM »

Me and a buddy caught one 2 years ago in the vedder on a woolly bugger.
It was only 10 or so inches long, but looked like a mini spring. Was pretty cool.

lapa

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2010, 09:16:30 PM »

I caught one in the vedder on roe one month ago.

leaping steely

• Old Timer
  • Who goes fishing anymore?
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2010, 09:52:27 PM »

Does this count? Caught two years ago on the Vedder.

Justin

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2010, 06:28:21 PM »

Stratocaster I caght a fish that looked just lik the one in your photo a week ago.  The wierd thing was the grey along the side, white stomach and white outlining around the spots on the back.

Justin

buncranabop

• Silver Bullet
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2010, 07:23:16 PM »

These small fish exist among all salmon species as far as I know. Ive been catching an odd one every year for as long as ive been fishing. And these are atlantic salmon i grew up targeting in Ireland. Little rockets they are (atlantics this size anyway).
The two best times for fishing are (A) when its raining and (B) when its not.

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2010, 07:37:35 PM »

An American sport fishing publication (Salmon & Steelhead Journal, Spring 2010 Volume 7 Issue 12) reports that the percentage of jacks in the returning chinook runs has surged in recent years from typically 3% up to 28% and higher, as high as 40% for the Columbia spring run.  This has resulted in serious overestimation of the subsequent returns of mature fish.   This phenomena is  most evident on the Columbia but has been noticed in other rivers, even as far away as the Kenai in Alaska.   Nobody seems to have any idea why this is occurring but it is apparently most evident in hatchery enhanced runs.

They define maxi-jacks as 2 year old males returning form the ocean, typically as 4 to 6 lb fish.   Mini-jacks they describe as males that never go to salt water and mature as two year olds.   Jennys are mature two year old females and rare.   They don't specifically mention a surge in mini-jacks.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2010, 08:12:03 PM »

This phenomena is  most evident on the Columbia but has been noticed in other rivers, even as far away as the Kenai in Alaska.   Nobody seems to have any idea why this is occurring but it is apparently most evident in hatchery enhanced runs.

They do know why.

Jacking occurs when the fish smolts at a large size. Hatcheries grow their fry to a large size before releasing them into the river.
If the size is too large when the fish go to sea, they grow faster and come back as jacks.