Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: If a fish spit the hook, where.....  (Read 3351 times)

steelieman

• Fish On!!!!
If a fish spit the hook, where.....
« on: March 10, 2007, 05:41:34 PM »

Have not reported much because I have not hook too many of them lately. I've hooked into three but all of them got away and that was with 6 trips.

If a fish spit the hook, where do you think its going to move to after coming off. Do you think it will move down the run, move up the run or go back to its original spot where you hooked it.

On friday, I managed to hook one for a quick second and it spit the hook. I kept thinking- would the fish move up or down?

Anyways, I did not get it to come back for another one of my offerings of roebags and pink worm.

The Vedder was looking good this morning but I think its going to colour up bad for tomorow.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
Re: If a fish spit the hook, where.....
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2007, 07:49:02 PM »

Decided to call it a day and head back to the ocean, it'll try again tomorrow.  :)
The Bigger The Better!

Ribwart

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2007, 08:12:21 PM »

It's pretty tough to figure out where a fish has gone once you've had contact with it. I'm pretty sure there is no definitive answer, and they probably go up or down at any given time. I think it's impossible to know, but I will give a couple examples that might help you find the answer to your question....

I have had the opportunity to observe steelhead that were spooked on a couple of occasions that I remember clearly. In these cases they were spooked by movement along the shoreline and moved upstream under the chop really quickly. They were however sitting close to the tailout when spooked, so that may have had a lot to do with the direction the fish chose to go.

On a couple of other occasions I have seen fish hooked, played and lost in a pool with several anglers working the water hard. As many of us have probably experienced at some time or another, once the fresh or untouched fish have been "stung" by a hook the fishing will turn off and we are left wondering where they went. Hence your question. We never really know where unless we find them though right? Well, in those times that I have managed to find them after they were stung, they were sitting under the fast water in a very rapidly moving current seam, in about 1-2 feet of water BELOW THE TAILOUT of the pool they were hooked in.

Now having said that, keep in mind they aren't always there obviously, and more often than not they are nowhere to be found. I do feel though that considering where in the pool a fish was hooked, and the amount of angling pressure immediately above and below a fish that has been "stung" will improve an anglers chances of finding them.

On one other occassion I found a fish above a major pool that had stopped producing earlier in the day. I found it in a very, very narrow slick between two fast water seams. So perhaps surface cover is a common denominator.

Hopefully these examples of a few first hand experiences will help you in your search for the answer to this question. I almost always work the fast water below a tailout hard in these cases, especially if I notice a subtle "flat spot" in the level of the flow. You really can't tell if you've found fish that were stung, or if you just found one away from all the others, but in these few examples, I am fairly certain these fish had been stung already and were seeking cover.

Hopefully these instances help you out Steelieman, but if you really want to get down to it, I'd start taking notes. Keep a journal covering this very question, and note everything you notice about these stung fish, ie: where you drifted when you found them, and even where you fished when you didn't find them. You might start to see a pattern in where you find them more often than not...

Hope that makes sense,
great question...
thx,
rib

« Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 08:47:36 PM by Ribwart »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2007, 08:28:48 PM »

Interesting topic. I remember hooking and losing the steelhead on 3 occasions in a little back eddy.The first time I set the hook and I saw a flash and was gone. I rerigged with a dew worm and on my next cast I hooked it again and this time the leader broke. I put on a fresh dew worm and on the exact same spot I had another hit. I was too slow on the draw. Not expecting too much I put on another dew worm. Sure enough on the same spot where I had the other hits I had another strike. This time the Fish Gods were smiling on me. I landed it and bonked it. It had my broken leader in the corner of his mouth. Inside it's stomach were fresh dew worms.......

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2007, 08:30:00 PM »

I think they go to the first piece of structured water they locate and rest until they feel well enough to go elsewhere

Noticed that with salmon alot. All the steelies Iv released this year have swam down stream after release.
The Bigger The Better!

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2007, 08:34:54 PM »

I think it went to the tailout or behind that big rock slightly downstream. As I said when we were there. He was stung and was not coming back for more.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

river walker

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2007, 10:25:25 AM »

good question,  From what i have noticed, if you hook the fish and have it on for a while the fish will not come back to  take again. Probablly takes off down river .  however if you miss it and you wait a few , it will take again 9 times out of ten....steelhead that is.  Salmon however seem to be pickier when it comes to hitting again.
I have had steel come back 5 times to take the rubber worm until i acctually connect.
"Second best head..... STEELHEAD"

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2007, 11:03:59 AM »

my first thompson steelhead was spooked before I hooked it.  saw a nice run up river and started walking up to it.  Half way there I hear a violent splash 3 feet from shore and I realized I had spooked a steelie.  I continued up to the top of the run put 6 cast thru it then started slowly working down.  5 minutes later I had my first thompson steelhead on the first cast in the little slot that I first spooked him.  It went back to the exact same spot.  I have seen steelies be spooked and then after 5-10 minutes return to the exact same spot.

My gut instinct is if you are late in a run or high in a river (ie fish are staged for spawning) the fish will stray less and less from a spot.  Turn a fish in the lower river and I think that has a high chance of causing it to break camp so to speak.

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2007, 04:22:04 PM »

A little off the subject. Try blade. My experience is that fish hit blade hard . Being smaller than a rubber worm where the hook may miss the strike or off center, the blade hook is usually firmly planted inside the mouth for a more solid hook set. I lost many fish with rubber worms and gooey bobs but hardly with blades.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2007, 05:59:39 PM »

during coho season when the water was low, i noticed that fished that got spooked had a tendency to go down river. i guess because its the fastest way to escape (oppose to going against the current). even when i was against the flow, fish i saw, scurried up river only to backtrack...using the flow of the river to their advantage.  then again, that's based on them reacting to my movement.

spitting the hook, after a fight i gather would make them head straight for cover.

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2007, 11:06:03 AM »

my first thompson steelhead was spooked before I hooked it.  saw a nice run up river and started walking up to it.  Half way there I hear a violent splash 3 feet from shore and I realized I had spooked a steelie.  I continued up to the top of the run put 6 cast thru it then started slowly working down.  5 minutes later I had my first thompson steelhead on the first cast in the little slot that I first spooked him.  It went back to the exact same spot.  I have seen steelies be spooked and then after 5-10 minutes return to the exact same spot.

My gut instinct is if you are late in a run or high in a river (ie fish are staged for spawning) the fish will stray less and less from a spot.  Turn a fish in the lower river and I think that has a high chance of causing it to break camp so to speak.

I think Gooey is right on the money with this one.