Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Upper chilliwack/Vedder  (Read 5536 times)

LP89CG

Upper chilliwack/Vedder
« on: October 19, 2015, 09:10:18 PM »

Just wondering, without specifics, is exploring the upper for fishing spots as easy or accessible as checking out the lower. I want to explore a little bit but I'm not sure about the logistics about it.

Are there places to access the river from the road is really what I want. I can do the leg work but a place to park and get to the river is more or less what I'm interested in. Is it a towed area?

Want to find a place out on my own and away from the crowds.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
Re: Upper chilliwack/Vedder
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 09:36:25 PM »

The road runs parallel well past the fishing boundary, so yes there is LOTS of access. There are very few no parking areas at all on the Chilliwack system, just keep your eyes open for signs.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 09:41:05 PM »

Lots of places to leave the car and explore...if parking is not allowed, there will be a sign stating so. If not, just park by the road and do the legwork. Many miles of beautiful unspoiled river await you. The lower river pales compared to the upper when it comes to the overall outdoor experience. Have fun.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 09:41:42 PM »

Yes, it is possible.  The road follows the river just like the lower river, close at times, more distant at others.  Also, like the lower, there are places to park here and there where there is room to pull over on the side of the road but long stretches where the shoulder is too narrow.  You will need to explore both the road for available parking, and then the suitable trails for finding the river. The middle river (between the crossing and Tamahi) has long stretches where private property makes river access more difficult, but there are lots of places to park and walk in, or you can drive up to Tamahi and take the backroad back down the other side.  The upper river (above Tamahi) has more stretches close to the road but they are usually heavily fished, but you can hike in to the harder to reach runs where you might only have to share with one or two others.
Not all those who wander are lost

LP89CG

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 07:10:49 AM »

awesome, thanks

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 09:32:24 AM »

Is there a higher likelihood of fish in the upper than the lower?

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2015, 10:50:06 AM »

Is there a higher likelihood of fish in the upper than the lower?

Depends on the day and time of season. Right now it's still even.
The highest likelihood of fish is still at the Superstore, and much cheaper. :P

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2015, 11:32:23 AM »

Indeed, but somehow they don't taste quite the same.

This is my first season at it so I'm still just trying to figure out where to go and how the systems work in general. It feels like the season is slipping by with hardly a hookup for for me, so it's nice to know a bit about things ahead of time, ya know?

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2015, 01:52:50 PM »

I know, I know...but your ask a really funny question: "Is there a higher likelihood of fish in the upper than the lower?"

Nobody can know that on any given day before they start fishing. Where on a Saturday the Upper can be on fire with people limiting out while others get skunked in the lower, the fortunes might reverse the next day. Seriously, there is NO rule except that towards the end of the season (late November) there is hardly any salmon left in the lower (and most of the fish in the upper are too stale to be a worthy table fare.

Drewhill

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2015, 03:42:03 PM »

Indeed, but somehow they don't taste quite the same.

This is my first season at it so I'm still just trying to figure out where to go and how the systems work in general. It feels like the season is slipping by with hardly a hookup for for me, so it's nice to know a bit about things ahead of time, ya know?

It's almost like you're subtly asking for spots lol You're best bet is to try to fish all 3 sections of river in one trip and fish as many spots as you can. If you're looking for hookups just go to where the cars are parked, if you're looking for a peaceful day out with most likely not a lot of hookups then go where there are no cars parked.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2015, 04:20:26 PM »

Actually, more of a question about fish behavior in the system. I know dozens of spots from the boundary to the mouth (though I'm always happy to learn yours, lol). You won't believe how many places I've not caught fish at!

There's a lot I don't know, including whether there's a particular reason they'd be at one end of the river or the other. To which apparently the answer is no.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2015, 07:06:09 PM »

Honestly!
It's not a stellar season.
It's either luck or lack there of.
There's always gonna be some fish caught in the check out line ups along some of the runs.
Other runs that aren't talked about are actually the same.
Good luck but even if someone told you where they were getting fish action  today wouldn't necessarily lead to success tomorrow.

Hit the hotspots  and cross your fingers first thing.
Then go explore a bit.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2015, 10:38:24 PM »

Mostly lack thereof on my part, presently...

I get what you're saying though, thanks.

But learning that tides affected rivers was an eye opener for me. It makes total sense now that I know it does and have seen it first hand by standing all day in a river. (good day)

Only saying that what's obvious to you might not be obvious to me.