Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shore fishing for Sole and Flunder?  (Read 12419 times)

wgomer

Re: Shore fishing for Sole and Flunder?
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2009, 10:25:01 AM »

I am going to head down to whiterock this weekend for some crabbing and planned on giving some bottom fishing a shot from the pier.  My plan was a jig head with a muscle and see what happens.  I will let you know the results...

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2009, 10:40:54 AM »

Best way I found to catch flounder was retrieving a foot or so off the bottom.  Attach two 1.5' pieces of mono to a 3-way swivel.  To one tag end, attach a bait hook and strip of herring and to the other just enough weigh to cast nicely.  Herring is good as it releases so much scent.  Retrieve slowly dragging the weight over the bottom.  A light  jig head with bait would also work.  Don't let it sit on the bottom- you'll do better retrieve as flounder are more ambush predators than scavengers feeding off dead stuff on the bottom.  Not sure I'd eat anything that spent its life on the bottom near a city of 2+ million though- that's a lot of sewage.

Have fun catching.

Bavarian Raven

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2009, 06:27:09 PM »

belcarra is good for sole, but not off the dock. find a nice rocky point, bait a hook (worms work best) with a sinker and cast away. its not uncommon to catch 16 inchers there 8)

Stu

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2009, 07:20:01 PM »

belcarra is good for sole, but not off the dock. find a nice rocky point, bait a hook (worms work best) with a sinker and cast away. its not uncommon to catch 16 inchers there 8)

I wish you had posted that info before we headed out, we went to Belcara to the dock, what a HUGE MISTAKE!!!. The dock was full of people trying to catch crabs, there was no place to cast out without snagging someones crab rope or the traps. So instead of fishing we did some hiking.
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.

Truecast

• I think I'm Snagged
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2009, 08:32:18 AM »

caught a flounder last year from my boat off white rock by jigging a small silver spoon. Did it out of bordom while crabbing. Ugliest flouder I have ever seen. Dark brown,  tough, slimy and gnarly, love bottom fish but wouldn't feed that fish to a dog.
As soon as I can afford to go fishing everyday, it's time to retire.

Bavarian Raven

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2009, 11:51:44 AM »

Quote from: Bavarian Raven on September 25, 2009, 06:27:09 PM
belcarra is good for sole, but not off the dock. find a nice rocky point, bait a hook (worms work best) with a sinker and cast away. its not uncommon to catch 16 inchers there

I wish you had posted that info before we headed out, we went to Belcara to the dock, what a HUGE MISTAKE!!!. The dock was full of people trying to catch crabs, there was no place to cast out without snagging someones crab rope or the traps. So instead of fishing we did some hiking.

sorry about that, replied as soon as i read the post. next time, hike down to the south or out to jug island and fish from shore. u'll catch some. the largest i ever caught from shore was 3 pounds (but i cant remember if it was a flounder or sole :-\), u'll also get the odd lingcod up to two pounds. best o luck

wgomer

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2009, 05:46:30 PM »

Well, spent some time bottom fishing is Whiterock today.  I fished a small jig head and a small bottom bounce style rig with either a muscle or some Radiant Eggs.  Both were extremely productive, for bulllheads...There were endless bullheads there biting the hook every time I put it down.  We also had a crab pot down which was fairly productive.  The pier in Whiterock was extremely busy and it basically turned into a crab education day for all the kids and tourists as we emptied our trap and put the females back.  There were tons of females around, we caught only 2 males and both were undersized, although one was fairly close.  We also had a lady try to rent my girlfriends fishing rod from her, which we thought was pretty funny.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2009, 06:53:48 PM »

Try retrieving faster and something that actually looks like a small fish- ie: herring strip, curly tailed plastic grub etc.

kodiak

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2009, 11:04:52 AM »

I used to catch them all the time off the Dunderave pier in West Vancouver using pieces of squid on a jig head. Could be worth a try.

Truecast

• I think I'm Snagged
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2009, 06:55:27 PM »

White rock is a tough place to crab. I've spent many hours at the pier in white rock and crescent beach and never had much luck in that area until I got my Boat. You need to move around alot to find pockets of legal crab since the commercial fishery basically cleans it out every year. You catch a lot of crab -1/8 legal size

Truecast

• I think I'm Snagged
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2009, 06:58:01 PM »

Best flounder bait ever..... those red featherd tube worm things....don't know why but they're like crack for flatfish :-X

Stu

« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2009, 08:48:45 PM »

Best flounder bait ever..... those red featherd tube worm things....don't know why but they're like crack for flatfish :-X

What are those?
Where would we get those delicious worms form?
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2009, 12:19:51 PM »

pilings at the sides of docks are covered in mussels.  amongst the mussels are marine worms.  careful, they bite.

Truecast

• I think I'm Snagged
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2009, 03:47:11 PM »

The worms I'm speaking of are in a tube upwards of a foot long,they grow on docks and pylons but are not easy to find, they feed with a red feathery fan like a barnicle.

beansagain

« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2009, 10:12:49 PM »

I used catch them off the seawall in stanley park.  check regs though.
I think it is closed inside of lions gate bridge.
They used to really like strips of clam meat just off the bottom.