Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stupid New Guy  (Read 6980 times)

Swanny

Stupid New Guy
« on: July 11, 2008, 10:52:10 AM »

I just wanted to say what a great resource this site is for someone wanting to learn about salmon fishing. Being a "newbie", I have put hours and hours in on the web, putting myself through a university like education on 'how to' fish for salmon and steelhead. Forums like this site teach the do's and dont's as well as being able to learn from the experienced guys. Having never river or ocean fished before, I appreciate the open discussions that are posted. I can't catch a fish from my keyboard though, so my question to you is, When would be a good time to come down to the Vedder and put my 'classroom' training to the test? It is a 3 hour drive from the interior and I am horrified that I will come down there and be shoulder to shoulder with 300 other people and screw up everyone else's day. A very intimidating thought. I don't really care if I catch a fish( would be nice though), I never had a bad time fishing before??? I have all the gear, roe, yarn, etc., or should a new guy like me start somewhere else to learn?
Anyways, thanks for all your expertise.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Stupid New Guy
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 11:01:15 AM »

Welcome to the forum. If you don't mind masses of people, October would be a good month. There should be cohos, chinooks and chums in the river, thus maximizing your chances of catching one.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 12:00:14 PM »

I am sure you will be able to hook up with some of us when you decide to come.
As stated above, October is very good, especially the first half of the month.

Don't worry too much about the crowds. It's a myth perpetuated by those who love the Vedder in order to keep it to themselves.  ;D

Nasty crowds are only at a dozen or so meatholes which you wouldn't want to fish anyway, and if you are willing to sacrifice catch ratio in favour of a more wholesome fishing experience, and you don't mind a 20-30 minute hike, there's lots of uncrowded productive water out there.

Feel free to shoot me an email when we get closer to your chosen date and my fishing partner and I will be more than happy to show you around.

Of course, you will be blind-folded and properly initiated, but that's a small price to pay to get into some insider's secrets!  ;)

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 01:34:53 PM »

Your post title alone should earn you a guide :)

Swanny

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 02:04:48 PM »

Thanks guys

Wow, October. That's like driving a kid to Anaheim and telling him Disneyland's closed for a couple of months. I was hoping this summer would be good. I would like to do the ocean aspect as well, but I need a few more things for my boat( gps,vhf,2nd rigger,big my friend net). Will definately need guidance with a boat. Why is it that the river(Vedder) is not fishable yet and how long do the springs run until the river is done for chinooks? More stupid questions to come....

ever_hopefull

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 02:16:21 PM »

No such thing as stupid questions.  The river is fishable now for red-fleshed Chinook.  There are Chilliwack Lake Sockeye in the river as well but they are untouchable.  The numbers of fish in the system slowly build till September when the white fleshed Chinook and Coho are in full force, then the numbers peak in October when the Chum start to appear.  These fish rapidly change to spawning carcasses in November.  Steehead start showing up in December and build till sometime in February/early March then start to change to do their own spawning.

No need to wait till October to fish the Vedder, but the peak is at that time.  Many guys (including myself) are out there now.  Welcome aboard.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2008, 01:43:42 AM »

... or should a new guy like me start somewhere else to learn?

Nope, Not at all! Methinks for where you reside, you've landed at the right Forum.

... Of course, you will be blind-folded and properly initiated, but that's a small price to pay to get into some insider's secrets!  ;)

Follow that up. The Ladz ain't always that generous  ;)
BTW, Who said anything about October? there's loads of fishin' in between... some already WELL underway...   ;)

Then again, there's always The Island.........
Right Milo?  ;D

Cheers,
Nog

Swanny

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 10:24:27 AM »

A buddy(Stupid New Guy #2) and I are coming to Chilliwack on Thursday to do some  ;) bird watching ;). Can anyone tell me how many  ;) birds ;) we are allowed to see and if anyone else will be out  ;) bird watching  ;) on Thursday.
Learning the code  ;D
Also, not wanting to be the 'guy' out there that everyone points at, do you have any other words of wisdom( ie. things to bring that nobody ever thinks of).

Cheers

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 10:34:42 AM »

No limits to the number of "birds" you can see but no touching.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 03:21:59 PM »

"Also, not wanting to be the 'guy' out there that everyone points at, do you have any other words of wisdom( ie. things to bring that nobody ever thinks of)."

Probably wear one of these :)

another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Swanny

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 09:04:33 AM »

Thanks,

Any suggestions on where to start out, upper or lower? I know nobody is posting reports, but where have some past successes come from?

Cheers

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 07:35:31 PM »

don't be intimidated, I started fishing the Vedder with my younger bro last fall, we had a blast. It can be intimidating in the more crowded areas but we  would just hike a few minutes and be on our own. lots of fun

Sebastien

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2008, 05:44:48 PM »

I was new to the Vedder last year as well, I did like the previous poster suggested. hike a little bit and you'll find a peacefull spot.

Swanny

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2008, 07:33:53 PM »

Well, I finally experienced salmon fishing on Thursday. Not to crowded and we stayed away from most people. Thank you all for your advice. Seen a lot of fish jumping, we mostly stayed around Tamihi, and I actually landed a sockeye( released unharmed). There was a couple of guys around to help out, thanks to them as well. I now can say that I have caught a salmon and definately have the itch to catch more.
Do the springs run through August as well?? Thanks again.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2008, 08:24:42 PM »

Congrats on your first salmon, hopefully many more to come  ;) Great way to start with a nice sized bullet sockeye like that, good job  ;D