Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Seal Hunt: A Perfect Storm of Optics, Emotion and Irony  (Read 1238 times)

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
The Seal Hunt: A Perfect Storm of Optics, Emotion and Irony
« on: April 14, 2023, 05:02:53 PM »

The Seal Hunt: A Perfect Storm of Optics, Emotion and Irony

It’s early April - the time of year when ice floes reappear off the coast of Newfoundland, and sealers, just as they have done for centuries, head out to them to undertake the harp seal hunt. With the launch of the hunt, so begins the annual anti seal hunt circus. You'll likely see click-bait pieces all over social media, and uninformed (or paid-off) celebrities championing the cause they know so little about. Money thirsty animal rights cults double down on their campaigns to “ban” the seal hunt this time of year. I say “ban” in quotations because that’s likely the very last thing they want to see happen. If it were ever banned these groups would lose their ability to leverage this cash cow.

The seal hunt is without a doubt the most regulated and coddled hunt/industry in the world, and the number of layered nuances, ironies, misconceptions and straight up lies being told about it is nauseating. In this post I’ll tackle these misconceptions and hopefully set the record straight.

https://jenshears.com/f/the-seal-hunt

The interview with Paul Watson (my old nemesis) is a must watch!