Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing Picture Recruiting  (Read 8058 times)

Eagleye

• Old Timer
Re: Fishing Picture Recruiting
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2006, 10:04:57 PM »

I just picked up a couple packs of DNE last week. Those are some sharp hooks and most importantly the price is right! I'm gonna put them to the test this year.  When I catch some fish with DNE hooks I'll send you a pic.  I wouldn't want to mislead anyone.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2006, 10:07:25 PM by Eagleye »

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2006, 10:12:44 PM »

Here is one as well, since Biff started it off!!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2006, 06:28:26 PM by Big Steel »
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

mojoman

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2006, 06:56:45 AM »

Hi Mojo:
May be i have had misunderstanding of " Plated". :)
Can you explain that meaning. thank you.

have these hook had a seperate plating applied....see...plated hooks don't rust they infect....hence if you LL a fish with a plated hook u basically have killed it....I use bronze hook only for this reason....won't buy flies tied on plated either...often with the light lines I use you hook a species you are not targeting...or u hook a brute that you just can't turn.....so you bust/straighten hook and carry on.....best if the hook rots out ina couple days....as opposed to tryin' ta chase said fish down...just my personal opinion....and in keepin' with the spirit of conservation ...your milage could vary....;))

mojo loses many hooks....cos I hook many fish..;))
Lou will turn things around with his game and the Canucks will make their way back to the top of their division... Canuck's have a great chance of going all the way this year... maybe you can save this post so I can say I told you so in a couple of months Smiley

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2006, 12:38:19 PM »

Sorry for the hijack, Just want to point our couple things about DNE hooks.. When you look in closely, the eye of the hook don't close all the way to the shank of the hook ( rub your finger under or above the the eye of the hook and you will feel a bump,or you can actually see the gap on the larger size.) That bump created a very sharpe edge, it can eaisly cut the line during tention.  It might only happend on my 20 some odd packs of demo in different size, so i could't say much for others. Now here is another thing, someone told me that DEN and Owner were made from the same factory, then question raises. Why would one printed product of Japan (owner) and Technology provided from Japan- Made in China ( DNE) if they made in the same factory??    Anyway, i assume most the ppl were using demo hooks at the moment. Do you guys know the suggestive retail for those hooks in a pack of 8 +/- ?? Its  almost the same as a 6 pack gammi ?? If thats the case, option is wide open out there...

My $0.02   
« Last Edit: January 07, 2006, 12:40:22 PM by Steelhead King »

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2006, 12:55:26 PM »

I bought mine for $2.29 for a pack of 10.  That is a lot cheaper then Gammies.  Also, I have looked at the ones that I have, mind you they are a smaller size, #2's and 4's!!  But I haven't seen any gaps, or anything to make me not like them.  I also couldn't care less where they are made, if they are a good product.  As of yet I haven't had any issues with them!! ;D

Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2006, 01:02:54 PM »

Thats good, if there is nothing wrong with your stuff..  Maybe just my damo packs!!!  anyway, goodluck fishing.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2006, 02:08:44 PM »

Interesting observation Steelhead King. I just checked my hooks and didn't notice any defects in mine.

svsv71

• Advertiser
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2006, 07:06:34 PM »

Sorry!  Steelhead King . The website is available now. ;D Didn't know what happened for the websits.
Also I want to clarify some facts. I think you have got those "Sample"  from me.
I did tell you that was just samples.   ;)

mojoman

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2006, 04:32:45 PM »

question still stands....are these plated hooks????

mojo senses a dodge here
Lou will turn things around with his game and the Canucks will make their way back to the top of their division... Canuck's have a great chance of going all the way this year... maybe you can save this post so I can say I told you so in a couple of months Smiley

svsv71

• Advertiser
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2006, 06:22:31 PM »

Hi Mojo..i still cannot get "plated". :D
however if you know the Gammy or Owner. hooks
we are the same process to making them. ;D

mojoman

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2006, 06:47:51 PM »

plated.....is when you apply one material(usually metal) on top of another to get a desired finish/strength/look etc....

mojo

Straight Runner

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2006, 10:30:42 PM »

Mojo, do your bronze hooks really rot out in a couple days? I guess probably only the barb has to rot, but that seems pretty fast to me.

I take the opposite approach. I use heavy line (I only fish in the open salt), but used the same 10 stainless hooks for many years because I never lost one. Actually I did loose one, Sept 04 on a rudder.

mojoman

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2006, 11:01:48 PM »

quite possibly the salt water would disolve the plated hooks...but not freshwater....was a program in Ont in the late 80's early 90's...they thought that it was better to cut your line rather than handle the fish..sooo...if you cut your fish off the local fish shop would replace your hook/s....'course it was abused pretty quickly....but the theory was that if all the folks were usin' bronze hooks...the fish stood a much higher chance of survival.....the combination of the acids in a fish' mouth and the fish rubbin' the "sore" area.....the hooks would only last a few days....this is my understanding at least....and it does make sence...there was an official notice somewhere...I was amazed when they said they observed steelhead rubbing their jaws on the riverbed to rid themselves of the hook....also understand....I don't use heavy stuff....a #16 hook is pretty darn small.....it stands to reason a 1/0 hook would last longer....just my thoughts....your milage may vary...;))

mojo

svsv71

• Advertiser
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2006, 11:38:56 PM »

Mojo..I got your point then I have asked our manufacturing engineer who told me that all the hooks are plated otherwise they will get rusty very fast.  However, stainless steel hooks are not plated. ;D   

mojoman

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2006, 04:52:31 AM »

thankx for the reply svsv71....think I'll stay with my kind of hooks...;)))

mojo