Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Will you be participating in the 10th annual World Rivers Day celebration in Chilliwack?

Yes! :D
- 13 (61.9%)
No. :(
- 8 (38.1%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Voting closed: September 26, 2011, 01:03:48 PM

Author Topic: Win some great fishing prizes at World Rivers Day celebration in Chilliwack!  (Read 8050 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Back in winter 2002, Vic Carrao of STS Guiding Service lead a group of anglers to tackle the garbage problem on the Chilliwack River. At the end of that session, Chris introduced himself to all and expressed interest in expanding the program. I introduced myself to him, a month later, a dozen of us formed the Chilliwack Vedder River Cleanup Society. In September 2002, we hosted the first World Rivers Day celebration. In that same month, I discovered coho fishing on the Vedder. ;D

Fast forward a decade, we are now celebrating the 10th annual World Rivers Day celebration! Throughout these years, hundreds of volunteers, including members from this discussion forum and other fishing websites, came out repeatedly to make this river a enjoyable place for all users by removing tonnes of garbage from river banks and trails.

On Sunday September 25th, the celebration begins with the Vedder River cleanup. Registration starts at 8:30am at the Chilliwack Fish and Game Club (direction to the club house). Tim Hortons will provide coffee, donuts, muffins, juice once again for all volunteers. Please dress appropriately. Garbage bags, pick-up tools, rubber gloves will be available.

The cleanup will take place until Noon, when we will host a thank-you BBQ lunch for all volunteers. Draw prizes and other entertainment will wrap up the celebration by 2:00pm.

Please come and join us! You can fish for a couple of hours for the first light bite, then spend a few hours to make a difference and finish the day by making some fishing buddies. You can even try to get some secret fishing spots out of Chris. ;)

We will add some interesting items to the draw prize pool so more of you will come out. ;) Items that we'll donate include fishing rods, fishing lines, bait cure, etc... I'll come up with an exact list of items that we will donate later once I go through all the items. :)

See you on September 25th!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 01:05:11 PM by Rodney »

milo

• Old Timer

Count me in, Rod.
Missed the last one due to bad timing. This year I am free that Sunday. ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

Great! Don't catch too many coho before the cleanup. ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Thanks Rodney for this, see you Sunday. Maybe we can fish afterwards. ;D

The_Other_Gman

Been a couple years since I've been to one of these and sadly due to sickness/lack of funds I doubt I'll be able to make it this year.  But I'll give it a bump, wish I could be there to help out.

milo

• Old Timer

Been a couple years since I've been to one of these and sadly due to sickness/lack of funds I doubt I'll be able to make it this year.  But I'll give it a bump, wish I could be there to help out.

Just say the word and I'll pick you up in the morning and drop you off back home in the evening.
Fishing all afternoon included. We'll even get Chris to show us a secret spot or two. ;)

The_Other_Gman

Just say the word and I'll pick you up in the morning and drop you off back home in the evening.
Fishing all afternoon included. We'll even get Chris to show us a secret spot or two. ;)

Hey Milo, long time no see.  Thanks for the offer.  Gimme a day or two to see what's what and maybe I might be able to take you up on that.  I'm actually heading out there in the morning, I have a friend without the gear but wheels.  Me no wheels but gear so it works out for one day anyway.

Kevgor

We'll be there (all 5 of us). 5th or 6th year in a row. The kids look forward to it, love seeing all the pinks in the water (on odd years) and are great garbage hunters.

Kevgor
Kevgor -

milo

• Old Timer

Hey Milo, long time no see.  Thanks for the offer.  Gimme a day or two to see what's what and maybe I might be able to take you up on that.  I'm actually heading out there in the morning, I have a friend without the gear but wheels.  Me no wheels but gear so it works out for one day anyway.

Sounds good, man!
Just shoot me an email with your phone number if you can swing it.
I'll then call you and make pickup arrangements.

Cheers,

Milo

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

We'll be there (all 5 of us). 5th or 6th year in a row. The kids look forward to it, love seeing all the pinks in the water (on odd years) and are great garbage hunters.

Kevgor
Wonderful, this is where the futures is, if we are to improve the garbage dumping problem, with our young people like yours taking a interest in looking after our environment. ;D ;D

I stopped at the Jones Lake turnoff,  (on the Fraser River) when coming back from the Thompson yesterday and what a mess. Those that frequent that spot should be ashamed of themselves, you would think someone that goes there would have cleaned it up as the season ends in that area.

I will one day when I go that way again, will fill the Leaf Mobile. :'( :-X :-[ ::) ??? :o :( >:(

therise

Re: Win some great fishing prizes at World Rivers Day celebration in Chilliwack!
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 07:02:08 PM »

Unfortunately I cannot make it, but every time I head out fishing anywhere, I take a garbage bag. Leave it cleaner then when you arrived!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Win some great fishing prizes at World Rivers Day celebration in Chilliwack!
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2011, 02:20:14 PM »

Back to the top!

Just going through the stuff that we have to give away on Sunday. Here are some:

Dragonfly 4pc 8wt fly fishing rod with case for salmon
Trophy XL 11' mooching/centerpin rod
Pautzke Fire Cure for roe curing
DNE fishing hooks and floats
Maxima Ultragreen fishing lines
Platypus fishing lines

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2011, 09:33:09 PM »

Back to the top!

Just going through the stuff that we have to give away on Sunday. Here are some:

Dragonfly 4pc 8wt fly fishing rod with case for salmon
Trophy XL 11' mooching/centerpin rod
Pautzke Fire Cure for roe curing
DNE fishing hooks and floats
Maxima Ultragreen fishing lines
Platypus fishing lines
Also our directors have gathered up a lot of excellent prizes too. ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2011, 10:10:54 PM »

Filmed this with Director Lew today.

http://youtu.be/AmBzQabzasU

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2011, 11:22:32 PM »

One last bump to the top.