Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Get your pleasure craft operator card  (Read 8018 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Get your pleasure craft operator card
« on: June 03, 2011, 06:48:30 PM »

http://www.boaterexam.com/canada

Finally took the time last week to do this. :P The entire process is not short. The course took about three hours to go through, dry most of the time but some parts were really useful. The exam wasn't too hard, managed to get just over 80%. Whether you agree with it or not, you should get it before taking your boat out as both the CO and RCMP officers will be checking for it. The fine is $250 if you are caught without one. :o

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Re: Get your pleasure craft operator card
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 08:12:12 PM »

Just over 80% ???? That is scary, you should get a $250 fine for that score. Don't ask to borrow my boats.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

islanddude

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 08:15:38 PM »

Rodney.It just galls me to have to pay for this boat operating ticket when I have been been operating power boats since I was 16.I am now 61.Was a fishing guide for many years in Campbell River.Have worked on  troller and prawn boats in the commercial sector.I now have a 10 footer powered by oars.Don't need a permit.I can fill up my Sammy for the 50 bucks I would give them.

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 09:07:46 PM »

So do I need one.  I am renting one at a lake this summer.  It's a 9.9 horse restriction

Do I need one or is it not needed cause it's a rental???
see ya on the river

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 09:32:58 PM »

Just over 80% ???? That is scary, you should get a $250 fine for that score. Don't ask to borrow my boats.

Yep, I don't even trust myself in my boat. ;)

Rodney.It just galls me to have to pay for this boat operating ticket when I have been been operating power boats since I was 16.I am now 61.Was a fishing guide for many years in Campbell River.Have worked on  troller and prawn boats in the commercial sector.I now have a 10 footer powered by oars.Don't need a permit.I can fill up my Sammy for the 50 bucks I would give them.

Yep, "why do I need one??" was pretty much the question I kept asking when I went through it, but I got one because I'm afraid of getting a fine.

So do I need one.  I am renting one at a lake this summer.  It's a 9.9 horse restriction

Do I need one or is it not needed cause it's a rental???

From the above website.

"Currently, a Pleasure Craft Operator Card is not required in order to operate a rented watercraft. Instead, it is sufficient for a renter to complete a rental safety checklist. Take note however that some companies have made it their corporate policy to require renters to have their Pleasure Craft Operator Card."

urbanflyfisher

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 10:09:54 PM »

Got mine a few years ago, after i was stopped in victoria harbor going to check the crab pots... had to pay the fine, but did the test that evening, its a real easy test... although as of september of last year it has more questions now, best to just get it done and over with, the fine isnt worth it.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 10:26:07 PM »

I took the test at the boat show, got 3 questions wrong, and got my card last month.  For all those old timers, perhaps boaters could be subjected to a "boat side exam" if they cannot produce a card, and if they pass then they do not need to pay the fine, but if they do not pass then they have to pay double the fine.
Not all those who wander are lost

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 10:34:26 PM »

I think I have seen a few pics of your boats. You can keep them.....

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

arimaBOATER

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 10:43:59 PM »

Rodney congrads on getting your card ! :)
Nothing wrong with getting over 80% ...thats a B or B plus grade when I went to school in the 1960's/70's.
Plus some of the questions seem to have in some cases 2 correct answers out of the four choices...(tricky)

Nice to have bumped into yous tonight at Gerry Point Park & pleasure to have meet Nina for the 1st time.
Without making your HEADS FAT...you both are really nice people & a great looking couple.

.........boating can be very very fun & really got into it ONLY because of my dad. If it was up to me I'd never own a boat BUT since my dad wanted to go boating we got one...Seems as a father & son we've always had boats from cartoppers to 21 ft inboard to a few runabouts....Must say WE HAVE HAD SO MUCH FUN & ADVENTURE (sometimes heart beating times...Fraser R & Sandheads has a way to get your attention on certain days) We have found the 16ft Arima to be just a great versitile safe boat & very stable.

By the way Rod & Nina did find my wife Daisy about 8 minutes after talking with yous. Earlier as I had a conversation with a chap...she went to the main washrms..."nature calls"...as I searched finally seen her near the popcorn stand area....
What a beautiful evening with the SUN finally out & the "tall ships" in port etc...
Assume ya got yourself a boat Rodney as ya got your boat operator's lic...if ya go on the Fraser ...high steady tide & not too much wind & keep a sharp eye out for debris in the water.

If people can't make it to Steveston this weekend for the "tall ships" music in the park..they can watch the CTV local news as they will be reporting alot about the festivities.

bcguy

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 09:44:54 PM »

The best kind of money grab there is, make it illegal not to have to pay for the little piece of paper, or pay again if your caught with out it. :P
It really burned me when I had to get it to operate an 8ft boat with a little electric for fishing small lakes.

From the web site...
Classroom Courses
With the increase from 36 to 50 questions, boaters can benefit from taking the BOATsmart! Classroom Course. Combining 3 hours of instruction with the official Pleasure Craft Operator Card exam, courses are available to boaters across Canada

Now get down there and spend more money with them, before its mandatory to spend $500.00 (+HST of course) when they convince transport Canada to make it illegal not to attend...

Sorry for the rant...Congrats Rod!!!! Its piece of mind for sure
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2011, 11:21:32 PM »

I think I have seen a few pics of your boats. You can keep them.....

I meant you can ask to use them. I just won't lend them to you. Sorry about that.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

wizard

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2011, 03:39:23 PM »

Rodney, thanks for reminding everyone that they need their boater's operaters card at all times, under all circumctances.   Personally I do feel it is mostly a money grab type scenario but what can ya do....imo it should be mandatory for operators of boats over 25 feet or so.

I'd like to remind everyone also to keep enough life jackets and mandatory equipment in the boat as well.

Was nailed today out on Nicola  for no life jacket.  230$ fine for no life jacket. plus warnings for each peice of equipment.  anchored 100 yds from boat launch on glass calm water enjoying the day in my 14 footer, only boat in sight...was checked by a couple officer's, apparently I was lucky as they made it clear they could have given me over a thousand dollars in fines for not having apparently mandatory equipment such as;
-Flashlight
-bailing bucket
-floating rope
-whistle

each peice of equipment is a 230 fine. personally, I found this a little hard to swallow, but it is what it is...so, just a reminder to everyone out their to have all mandatory equipment or you could face hefty fines.

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2011, 04:27:21 PM »

Is there a list somewhere with all the mandatory equipment?

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2011, 06:20:03 PM »

So how do they collect the fines? Its not like a drivers licence where when you go and get insurance your forced to pay before renewing.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

wizard

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2011, 08:31:57 PM »

I was told I had to pay the fine for no life jacket within 30 days at a local motor vehicle branch, where you'd pay a traffic fine...
Was also told if I didn't pay within the 30 days a collection agency would be used to collect it.

Personally, I would've gone with a warning for no lfe jacket but in the end, it's their call.  Everyone just take the time to find out what's required and have it with you.  Valid boater's and fishing licenses aren't the only thing they can nail you on....seems like alot of discretion however . also the floating rope has to be atleast 50 feet long...45 feet and you take the risk of a 230 $ fine ::)

I was also told they were really stepping up enforcement, I thought to myself if they really wanted to make a difference they'd go to Roche or a popular lake and send the message to the hords that they're stepping up enforcement,  instead of the only boat on a huge body of water.