Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tidal Fraser River, October 20th 2009  (Read 749 times)

Dr. Backlash

Tidal Fraser River, October 20th 2009
« on: October 20, 2009, 08:14:03 PM »

Managed to duck away from work and got to fish the incoming tide from about 4:15pm until 6:00pm.  Saw a bunch of fish, but not nearly as many as I saw on Sunday (but the tide was higher then).  Water clarity has also deteriorated somewhat.  After about an hour and not hooking into anything, I was just about to move to another spot, but I decided to try a much larger homemade silver spinner with pink tape on the inside of the #6 Indiana blade and a pink hoochie tail on the hook, that I haven't tried yet.  As I was reeling in the spinner on the 2nd cast, I felt what I thought was a good hit just about 10 feet away from me; so I slowly kept reeling in, and just as I was about to lift the spinner out of the water and cast again, the spinner disappeared and I saw a silver flash literally right beside me.  Fish on!  after about a 2 minute battle and a few jumps, it decided to charge back towards shore and I couldn't reel fast enough to keep up; and right close to shore it jumped completely out of the water again and the hook popped out.  Man was I ever pumped!  I wasn't sure if it was a Coho or a Chum, but judging by the number of times if jumped out of the water I'm guessing it was a Coho, and it was a fat one - at least 10lbs I'd say.  I also read somewhere recently that Coho can be suckers for spinners with hoochie tails on the hooks, so that's another reason why I think it was a coho.  Anyway, I'm still glad I ducked out of work early - it was worth it.  Can't wait till the weekend!

CALI 2 B.C.

Re: Tidal Fraser River, October 20th 2009
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 08:24:46 PM »

I stopped by a local legal to fish system here in surrey and first cast bam! fish on after a min or so i noticed it was a rather clean pink that i gently released though it was still pretty near silver.Still made my day though i left after that one cast.Im headin out to fish in the morning just thinkin about where to go now.I didnt know i could catch salmon so close to home LOL time for more exploring... ;D
famous people walk on red carpet because theyre famous...me i walk on toilet paper because im the $h!^

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Tidal Fraser River, October 20th 2009
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 08:41:21 PM »

Always leave the lure in the water until the rod tip. ;D The last minute bite, especially after a miss in the middle of a retrieve, happens way too often. It happened to me today too actually. ;D I also hopped out for a couple of hours at 4pm to catch the gradual incoming tide. The spinner snagged up on the bottom after a few casts because I was fishing a new spot. ::) I then tied on a spoon and on the following cast, I felt a tug halfway through the retrieve but did not strike as I was not sure what the bottom was like. As the spoon approached the rocks on the shoreline, I could see a bull trout slowly swimming behind it and then went for another chomp on the lure again. It hooked itself, but very lightly as I was not prepared for that to happen. :-\ It shook its head a couple of times and the lure simply fell out. It actually suspended in the shallow water a bit before swimming away quietly. :o I was very sure that fish was not going to get tricked again for the rest of the evening. I had one more tug just before dark.

That fish you had on was most likely a coho salmon. Chum salmon are not silver even in the Tidal Fraser River, they usually start showing the purple stripes once they hit the freshwater just outside the river mouth.