Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Non-tidal Fraser River and tributaries, March 14th 2009  (Read 746 times)

Every Day

• Old Timer
Non-tidal Fraser River and tributaries, March 14th 2009
« on: March 14, 2009, 02:07:51 PM »

Today March 14th.

Decided I needed a break from the weekend Steelheading crowds and decided to go fishing with another buddy, for cutties. He is at my house at 5:30 and we drive out to our destination. We get there and realize we have no flashlights... great  ::)  Sit in the car for a half an hour and it is finally light enough to see, so we start walking. We arrive a while later in the pouring rain and watch for risers while casting.

I tie on a new fly I had just made up last night and 10 or so mins later I have a hard hit, but it somehow gets off the hook as fast as it came on. I tell Anthony I had a hit, but he is still not convinced the fish are around. 5 mins later 2 fish roll simotaneously around 8- feet in front of us, one is quite large, the other is smaller. We continue to cast but to no avail.

Around 20 mins later Anthony ask where the hell the fish have gone. 10 Seconds later one rolls to his right, about 5 feet away. First cast, fish on, and that was only the beginning (he lost it by the way). A few casts later he sees a wake behind his flies, the fish boils and takes a hit but he misses. He tells me to watch and the same thing happens again  :This time he barbs it and it wont come back. 5 mins later he yells at me, another one  ::) This one stays on the hook, we net it, take a few pics and off it went.

For the next 15 mins he puts on a clinic hooking 3 more fish. In this whole period of time I only manage 3 hits with one on for about 2 seconds  ::)  The fly he is using has been very hot the last few days and it is really showing. We stay in the spot for about another hour having many more hits. In total we hit around 10 fish between the 2 of us in the first spot.

We leave after the bite turns off and hit another spot on the way home. We get there and I cast out... Anthony tells me to let it sink right to the bottom and do a slow retrieve. I dont listen and strip is fast. His first cast, following his own advice he hooks another nice cutty. It come in close and gets netted (knot free catch and release net by the way), another nice cutty. A couple quick pics and this one goes back also.  ;)

His very next cast he hooks and lands another one :

We manage a few more hits and decide to call it a day at around 10:30. Perfect day for cutty fishing, miserable and rewarding at the same time  ;)