Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ventured To Keith Wilson Bridge July 11  (Read 2411 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Ventured To Keith Wilson Bridge July 11
« on: July 11, 2004, 11:13:11 PM »

Before heading to meet Lew this morning ran into a friend that told me he was doing well in the Vedder Canal area since the springs came in Monday in fair numbers. He was not getting them TOW ing as he is a veteran angler. The trick was to use about a 50 cent sized gob of roe he informs me.

Thought of trying it after Lew and I did the cleanup this afternoon but on our return had to catch up on some sleep as did not get that much yesterday, especially in the bottom of the Leaf Craft. ;D

After a hour nap cooked my wife and I a spring salmon dinner and then with 45 minutes or so of daylight left thought I would venture to the KWB area as so close.

When I got to the river my roe was still frozen so threw a #55 Kitimat for a few minutes as the roe thawed over the Leaf Mobile's heater. ::)

Saw 2 fellow's with 2 nice springs but by observing their method's the fish had met their end by being TOW ed. One chap would also jerk his rod at the end of each drift. As I was in TOW ing territority I remained non vocal with him.

Another fellow was into 4 sockeye while i was there, that seemed to give him great excitment but he was into the TOW ing method also, long float line and dredging the bottom. He had to hand line the sockeye in to release them.

While I waited for the roe to thaw picked up some garbage. I then had about 15 minutes of time left but could not get Ian's float to submerge.

I think I will give it a try early tomorrow morning but will leave KWB to the TOW ers. I then head to Victoria to attend a funeral in the early afternoon and then back for a 7 pm SDA meeting in Langley to hear about the Kapp case thats comes down tomorrow morning. As well will hear how the SDA is going to react to all the illegal fishing that is going on in the Fraser.

The start of a busy week, retirement is still great. ;D
« Last Edit: July 11, 2004, 11:19:40 PM by chris gadsden »

Rosco P. COHOtrane

• The rivers are calling and I must go...
Re:Ventured To Keith Wilson Bridge July 11
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2004, 12:11:46 AM »

Thanks for the report Chris. I might venture out there tomorrow....er I mean this morning.

Good Luck  !

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2004, 12:32:29 AM »

Chris: Where is it legal to park at the KWB ?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2004, 12:54:57 AM »

Chris: Where is it legal to park at the KWB ?
They have made a parking area under the bridge on the Chilliwack Side and on the Yarrow side lots of room along the Dyke roads. Try to get out as there appears to be lots of fish in the system, no sure for how long. I will try to get out for a short trip in the morning before going to Victoria.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2004, 01:06:37 AM »

Much appreciated Chris. Wasn't sure whether you can park on the dyke

_Ivan_

• Fish for life. <*)))))>(
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2004, 04:08:06 AM »

thanxs for the report chris gadsden hope you do better next time. ;D ;D
"Damn coho they're hard to catch." <*)))))>(

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2004, 07:50:54 AM »

I tried it for a short time this morning may have missed one but could have been a steelhead smolt. A lot of water to cover for short floating.

Picked up a old bike in the area and took it to the dumpsters from the cleanup

Saw a family of megansers feeding on smolts and also a dead sockeye caused by?. Had a nice visit with Nicola and Ryan fly fishing. I used to take them fishing when they were young. Nicola checks out this web site and I have asked her to post when she has time.

She is an excellent fishers including fly. Maybe her turn to take me fishing and learn fly fishing after teaching her bar fishing many moons ago.

Off to Victoria now and will look for some chinooks showing as we go through Active pass heading for the Fraser River.  ;D

Back at bar fishing tomorrow.

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2004, 08:31:11 AM »

Chris you're always a great read, thank's for the reports. :)

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2004, 11:40:36 AM »

this towing word is it another word for bottom bouncing or what???? ??? ???

Jimmy

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2004, 11:48:27 AM »

yes