Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack property crime rate very high  (Read 13225 times)

arimaBOATER

Chilliwack property crime rate very high
« on: June 11, 2014, 10:23:04 PM »

Remind me not to buy a house in that part of BC.

Couple in the news told of thefts from their yard at night on a regular basis.
They installed cameras on & on.
When they spot a criminal on their property they go out & nail the person with paint balls !!!
( they do own firearms but will use them as a last resort )

They do not bother calling 911 as they said it gets zero results. (?)

So as many of you fish in the Chillawack area do secure your belongings & hide any valuables in yous veicle.
Good chance el Mr Crime many be " doing his thing ".

TayC

• Scott Howells Moustache
Re: Chilliwack property crime rate very high
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 12:51:49 AM »

I think this is a bit misleading, like everywhere else there are good and bad parts of town.

For example,  I would stay away from downtown Chilliwack on the north side of the freeway.  However the Sardis and promontory areas are very nice IMO. Knock on wood, my family has been living in Sardis for 30 years and haven't experienced any break ins or vandalizing of property, neither have any of the other neighbours.

Could it be possible that this couple lives in the sketchy part of town overridden with druggies and thieves?
A swung fly is the best fly.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 12:58:45 AM »

TayC ; Think you make a good point & you should know.
Thanks for the insight.

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 01:42:54 AM »

I have a friend living around On-the-Way store area for the last 30 years and he too never told me about any problem of property crime.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 07:47:52 AM »

Many small cities and towns in the valley have issues with people with drug dependency. This is usually around the older downtown core not the new suburban areas. Crime spreads to residential neighbourhoods within easy walking distance .
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Kenwee

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 08:00:05 AM »

A-Boater, you should not make a blanket statement like that. I live on McLaren Drive for 3 years now and I have never experienced a break in or lost anything left in my truck.Sometimes I forget to lock my door when I leave my house and so far nothing has been stolen.Yes, like others have said, it depends on where you live. There are always good and bad neighbourhood any where in a town or city.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2014, 10:09:16 PM »

A-Boater, you should not make a blanket statement like that. I live on McLaren Drive for 3 years now and I have never experienced a break in or lost anything left in my truck.Sometimes I forget to lock my door when I leave my house and so far nothing has been stolen.Yes, like others have said, it depends on where you live. There are always good and bad neighbourhood any where in a town or city.

Read my reply to TayC.
Live & learn.

There is not a place on earth that is 100% safe from crime but definitely some areas worst than others.
True stories of police being killed in police stations should make the POINT.

Being a believer there is a Prince of darkness but will not get into that. He he & ha.

Ezio

• vedder sucks tell your friends.
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2014, 10:51:13 AM »

I live on the north side of the highway, only a few blocks away from where this couple lives.    We saw no property crime until maybe 3 years ago.   now we can't even park our vehicles on the street in a cul de sac since theres a good chance it will get broken into.   And the whole reason I would like to speculate is the opening of several methadone clinics locally,   No matter where you go, there will be dirty people all times of the day in chilliwack, The area I live in was a nice neighborhood.   And now there is a drug house down the street, and there are always shady people around.   

just the other night I had to stop and question a bum on my way home one night.  he was riding around the area on his bike with trailer in tow snooping around.   I told him That if i see him again, I will call the police.  Athough I've caught people breaking into cars in my area, and the local RCMP does nothing about it.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2014, 02:09:58 PM »

I live on the north side of the highway, only a few blocks away from where this couple lives.    We saw no property crime until maybe 3 years ago.   now we can't even park our vehicles on the street in a cul de sac since theres a good chance it will get broken into.   And the whole reason I would like to speculate is the opening of several methadone clinics locally,   No matter where you go, there will be dirty people all times of the day in chilliwack, The area I live in was a nice neighborhood.   And now there is a drug house down the street, and there are always shady people around.   

just the other night I had to stop and question a bum on my way home one night.  he was riding around the area on his bike with trailer in tow snooping around.   I told him That if i see him again, I will call the police.  Athough I've caught people breaking into cars in my area, and the local RCMP does nothing about it.

You had a safe area till 3 years ago.
Sorry to hear that.
Sadly increased crime may lower the price you can ask if selling.

Material or possessions can be replaced but nevertheless one's insurance rates may increase.
 & who knows if the thieves will try to break into one's home or sheds.
Some even enter homes as owners are sleeping.

Very explosive situation because if one wakes you get the ideas are they after my kids , do they have a knife?
A person's property is private. Stay out period. People slave to buy & pay off the mortgage & yearly taxes. Then these kings in their own minds enter regardless of people's rights.

Sad.
In my floor waxing days 2 locations downtown had vehicles with broken windows near my parked truck.
Only trouble I did have after 10 years was in New Westminster where a idiot broke my truck canopy window screen.
Truck itself had an alarm.
Did waxing in every area 50 miles north,east & south of Richmond, into the am.
All the time I was aware of a possible criminal may be in hiding near my truck or building.

Oh ya did have about 5 guys kinda surround me downtown so I put my back against the building & faced them & they stood there for a few seconds & then walked away.
They were planning I think to come from behind & take my wallet & then run off.

Off they went I guess for easier prey or victim.

mikeH

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2014, 10:37:32 PM »

I live in Chilliwack that video is from a pair of idiots they leave cig butts etc out they bait the crackheads. I live near little mountain. If you don't leave sh** out your fine.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 10:42:25 PM by mikeH »

Wool

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2014, 11:08:45 PM »

I've seen you Chiliwack boys throw people in the Vedder for crossing lines. Your tolerating this while your standing watching them? You've lost my envy. Try leaving a radio on. ( sorry I had to say it, Chiliwack was always the place I wanted to move because it reminded of how the rest of small town Canada lived ). reminds me... had the truck broken into and two rods stolen across from the gravel pit. Welcome to our world.

Ezio

• vedder sucks tell your friends.
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2014, 04:17:41 AM »

chilliwack was that small town that was beautiful in every way when i was growing up.    And Now I want to leave.   Move to a small town like nakusp or new Denver and work out of Provence.   I'm totally Fine with Fighting for my property.   I have IR game camera's set up in my driveway.   And a Remington 870 loaded with bean bags and rock salt if someone dares try to enter my house.   And An airsoft rifle that will shoot 40 rounds a second if I find someone breaking into a vehicle in my neighborhood.   

RCMP say that there can be charges against me and not to use "force" and to call the professionals.    Its too bad the "professionals" in chilliwack take priority in pulling over lowered cars like honda's and nissans with loud exhausts over actually trying to solve crimes when called.    Unfortunately When you say there is someone breaking into your car it takes 25-30 minutes before they come.   But they have no issues with having 5 or more officers with their cars sitting at the Stevenson Tim hortons from 12-2am watching over a group of kids who are staying out of trouble trying to find reasons to hand out tickets to them.

Chilliwack is becoming more and more like abbotsford and coquitlam (sometimes worse in my eyes) and there is nothing we can do about it.  Every mountain you look at there are houses climbing to the skyline, taller buildings going up every year, and seemingly more crime every year.   I makes me sad to see how this city has changed over the 23 years I've lived here.