Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sight Fishing with a Drone  (Read 11690 times)

243Pete

Re: Sight Fishing with a Drone
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2016, 10:57:19 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sdUZqOoAq4
Seen this one a while ago,

Selfie drones you can carry in your back pocket, drones for security and drones for military purposes/ law enforcement. Don't really see it as much of a fishing tool unless maybe for something like carp since you could probably drop the bait in areas where casting is either to far or limited due to trees.

I don't honestly see it becoming a widely used thing around here especially for salmon, gonna scare them away faster than some guy flossing a 6 oz betty, 10 foot leader of 40 pound mono with a 4/0 hook and a pinch of green wool. ;) But I must agree that the buzzing would drive me nuts especially if some guy decided to hover his drone above a run from 30 to 50 feet up for an extended period of time.

obie1fish

« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2016, 08:55:00 AM »

I would think it is another step towards not being able to get away from it all by going into the woods. Kinda like when an annoying ringtone interrupts the song of a water ouzel or scares away an otter or deer, or interrupts a good conversation, except with drones the noise is much louder and longer in duration than a ringtone (and has less of a catchy tune!). I think we're hard-wired to be disturbed by anything that buzzes, natural or tech-based.

There are areas where flying drones is illegal. Any area with air traffic would be a definite no-no. This is an issue up in Haida Gwaii, especially Langara, where choppers and planes take off and land throughout any day of the week. Now think salt water fishing around Vancouver, Prince Rupert, Bella Bella, and near any shoreline operation which flies in their workers, and the prohibited areas tend to grow quite a bit.

That being said, drone footage is a thing of beauty. I still love a video I saw of fishing the Alagnak River. However, the sound of the drone was replaced with a most peaceful soundtrack.

My two cents.

TNAngler

« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2016, 12:26:00 PM »

I could see it being useful for a learning exercise.  You think you are fishing here but you are in fact fishing here.  Your drift was too fast through here, too slow here.  Something to give a visual to someone that needs help getting the feel of the river, stream, lake, whatever.  As an every day occurrence, definitely more hassle than it is worth.