Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sight Fishing with a Drone  (Read 11689 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Sight Fishing with a Drone
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2016, 02:14:47 PM »

hopefully the relevant laws will soon be amended so that drones are subject to the same regulations & controls as RC aircraft. Then the entire problem will go away and we won't have to suffer fools with far more money than brains.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2016, 02:30:01 PM »

I suppose if I was a drone hobbyist it would be great fun to scout water and guide my buddies where to cast, but for me it removes the element of fair chase and the hunt that I derive a great deal of personal satisfaction from.

fishtruck

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2016, 08:37:40 AM »

LOL, now all those secret spots will be revealed by these drone operators. You'll have to wear camo and camo your gear so the drone can't see anything...  On a more serious note, I can see some people will see this as an invasion of their privacy. Was on a travel forum where someone wanted to know about bringing a drone to a resort. The response was overwhelmingly negative.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2016, 01:42:19 PM »

Okay so now I want an RC Submarine with a camera feed to fool around and search while chironomid fishing.

Even more fun to deploy the sub if another boat gets in too cozy to my boat. Maybe even repeatedly bump the underside of the other boat with the sub. This could be more fun than actual fishing.

Maybe put on a quick release and pull a leech around behind the sub. Might need to camo the sub like a trout.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2016, 02:00:59 PM »

Okay so now I want an RC Submarine with a camera feed to fool around and search while chironomid fishing.

I want one of these, even though I would hate anyone who actually does this. Feeling so conflicted :P

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2016, 02:12:16 PM »

I want one of these, even though I would hate anyone who actually does this. Feeling so conflicted :P

Life is too short to hate. Let's have a 7-Up. Cheers

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2016, 04:27:52 PM »

Life is too short to hate. Let's have a 7-Up. Cheers

My 7 are up almost every morning. Does that count?
 :P

NothingToSnagAbout

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2016, 04:40:07 PM »

I've seen some youtube videos of guys using line and bait hanging off of drones, doing pretty well, too. Illegal, I presume? Might have to rewrite the regs.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2016, 05:53:25 PM »

x2

Any drone that gets within hitting distance of my rod would be quickly dispatched, even if I break my rod tip doing so. You've been forewarned. Last thing we need on the river while fishing...the buzzing. >:(

Jeez, sounds like more work for me ;D

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2016, 12:49:08 PM »

Jeez, sounds like more work for me ;D

Stop complaining. You don't fish the Vedder anymore anyway! :P

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2016, 02:02:58 PM »

as someone pointed out its just another fish finder. When commercial fishermen went from having no depth sounders to having them there catch increased overnight by 100 fold. Most old commercial guys i know contributed depth sounders to over fishing problems. U were no longer arbitrarily dropping your seign now you could sound them and incircle them.

They come out with a drone that can sight them and transmit what they see and return home it will be amazing. Now it's just manually doing it 

advocator for the depth sounder to be removed before you guys start on dones

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2016, 02:06:18 PM »

I've seen some youtube videos of guys using line and bait hanging off of drones, doing pretty well, too. Illegal, I presume? Might have to rewrite the regs.

its illegal you can't use an automated reel, like using your downrigger for retrieving fish.

Tho if you have it connected to your rod and have a quick release off the drone that would be legal. 

NothingToSnagAbout

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2016, 02:26:06 PM »

These guys were just flying the drone higher to set the hook and then flying the drone and fish back to shore, on a lake catching trout and bass. Can't remember and can't find anymore, maybe taken down.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2016, 05:33:31 PM »

Lots of videos on Youtube if you search "drone fishing":

Here's one where the guy catches a fish using a drone but he starts acting like an embarrassing child at around the 2:30 mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iba7kCnkFos
Here's another by the same guy where he tries to fish again and things go down like you'd expect: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeEFN_Z5Eek

This is a more interesting take on it, starting around 8:00 in. He uses it to drop his bait way out in the ocean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNKzwfrmZi4
Here's a more detailed look at one of the techniques you can use to drop your bait: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6ir_kCEpGI

Dude Perfect did one a while back using RC boats to catch fish: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOEEvvq808A

I like technology and find this all very interesting but I go fishing to get away from it all, not to bring it with me. I hope that drones don't become part of the fishing gear :P

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2016, 05:50:47 PM »

My 7 are up almost every morning. Does that count?
 :P

Oooff, I'm not going to touch this one.  :P